Whats Your Power Setup For Your Base?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What is your main power source?

• Charcoal (burned in anything)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Gasoline/Fuel/Biofuel/Ethanol (burned in anything)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Big Reactors Reactors

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
R

rolander68

There are a million ways to generate RF in any modpack, and I'm curious how everyone does it. Tell me your setups for generating RF or MJ.

Here's my setup:

For powering my base, I use an automated MFR tree farm (2 3x3 planter/harvester combos) that gets burned up in a redstone furnace and the charcoal goes into a big grid of survivalist generators. I also have a MFR biofuel setup that uses planters and harvesters to farm wheat, and the seeds get pumped into a bioreactor and burned in biofuel generators. The wheat is auto-crafted into bread, which goes into ExU culinary generators. I also have a TNT setup used occasionally, where coal from my mining setup gets crushed up and mixed with sulfur and something else to make gunpowder(I set it up and then forgot, if you're curious just go to gunpowder in NEI and find ways to make it). I also get gunpowder from mob farming, like everyone else does it. Cobblestone is taken from my main supplies, pulverized into sand, and TNT is auto-crafted. This TNT goes into an ExU TNT generator and produces RF only when I need it for short periods of time (I pretty much only use it when I need lots of power in a short time frame).

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
It really depends on the pack. In Inventions, I currently have 4 Ender IO Stirling Generators burning blaze rods, while a starter Big Reactor powered my quarry, and I'd like to switch to MFR Steam Boilers burning blaze rods, then run the steam through Advanced Generators Steam Turbines, but I'm not sure there's a decent way to generate enough water. In Infinity: Skyblock I ran 4 64X Culinary Generators on Beef Wellington, had 8 IC2 Nuclear Reactors, and 6 Resonant Solar Panels before I quit playing it because all I had left to do was busy work. In IE:E I had Steam Dynamos being run by steam from a Railcraft 36HP boiler burning fuel. In my personal modpack I have 4 Rotarycraft Gasoline Engines powering a Rotational Dynamo that makes the RF to run my Induction Smelter (I only have TE because Enhanced Inventories requires it, and the Induction Smelter is less of a hassle to make alloys than having to grind everything to dust or put it in the smeltery) and a Refinery making fuel for my Advanced Generators Gas Turbine that runs my quarry, and have plans to eventually use Reactorcraft to generate RF. When I first played Infinity (before it Evolved) I used Forestry Ethanol in Railcraft boilers generating steam for Big Reactors turbines.

Someday I'd like to get around to building Mekanism's fusion reactor too.

I generally like to try something new for power every world.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Just an FYI, a Tier 3 Speed Augmented Resonant Aqueous Accumulator can produce enough water to feed two MFR Boilers, provided they have two faces touching a source block. With a bit of clever stacking, one can make a neat tower around a column of Advanced Generators Fluid Intakes. With a casing around it to hold it together, mine has a 5x5 footprint and uses 20 Steam Boilers and 10 AA's. Included in that casing is a line of Impulse Itemducts to feed the fuel into said Boilers.

Now, I've returned to my old tricks, or a variation of them anyway, and used a pair of Lava Fabricators abutting an EnddrIO Tank. Buckets come in empty, get filled with Lava, sent to the Boilers to be used as fuel, rinse and repeat. Net power is nowhere close to the output from using BR Turbines (in place of the Advanced Generators), but I was curious to play with AG. If used BR Turbines with this setup, I could power four max sized Turbines (running at ~27kRF/t each), all while being a self-sustaining loop.

Detailed information on this setup can be found in my signature, although that test world was a DW20 instance, so I used XU for water supply. The principles hold true though,. Maybe if I get some time I'll drop pics of the new Inventions setup.

M

Mr.Birk

I usually start with coal power, then switch to fuel refining oil and usually wind up switching to big reactors in the lastest packs.

In the past before big reactors I explored just about every method. I've done railcraft EU, IC2 EU both with massive lava gens as well as nuclear reactors (LOTS of work for IC2), RF from too many mods to name them all using coal/lava/EU conversion

But inevitably its hard to pass up big reactors as an end game when one turbine can crank out 24krf/t and building a couple of these will fuel the massive end game AE2 Computer storage, Processing facility, quarries, mining lasers, and keeping my dimensions i quarry open.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
The process I am looking for is going to be
Treefarm to get sapplings and apples (and maybe some wood that gets turned into charcoal if deemed necessary )
Apples+saplings turn into biomass
Biomass becomes dry biomass and steam in an advanced furnace
Steam is used to get some of the power back that was used to dry said biomass
Dried biomass into charcoal and hydrogen
Charcoal gets used to make steam (Which becomes power)
Hydrogen+oxygen to steam and power
steam into power

It may be a lot of steps but it does give a nice amount of power (The hydrogen and oxygen alone already gives 144 KW assuming best circumstances )

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Just an FYI, a Tier 3 Speed Augmented Resonant Aqueous Accumulator can produce enough water to feed two MFR Boilers, provided they have two faces touching a source block. With a bit of clever stacking, one can make a neat tower around a column of Advanced Generators Fluid Intakes. With a casing around it to hold it together, mine has a 5x5 footprint and uses 20 Steam Boilers and 10 AA's. Included in that casing is a line of Impulse Itemducts to feed the fuel into said Boilers.

Now, I've returned to my old tricks, or a variation of them anyway, and used a pair of Lava Fabricators abutting an EnddrIO Tank. Buckets come in empty, get filled with Lava, sent to the Boilers to be used as fuel, rinse and repeat. Net power is nowhere close to the output from using BR Turbines (in place of the Advanced Generators), but I was curious to play with AG. If used BR Turbines with this setup, I could power four max sized Turbines (running at ~27kRF/t each), all while being a self-sustaining loop.

Detailed information on this setup can be found in my signature, although that test world was a DW20 instance, so I used XU for water supply. The principles hold true though,. Maybe if I get some time I'll drop pics of the new Inventions setup.
Yeah, I just tested it in a creative world to see how much steam it would use. A max sized Advanced Generators Steam Turbine using Enderium Turbines uses 12.5 buckets of steam a tick (so 31.25 Steam Boilers). That's enough for 6.25 maxed out Big Reactors turbines. It looks like I'm sticking with Gas Turbines for Advanced Generators for the foreseeable future.

natirs

Oct 12, 2013
israel
to power my base i use 4 seperate same size big reactors supplying steam to 16 turbines producing over 390k rf per tick

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Too many variables to comment. I really like to use Mekanism wind turbines and gas-burning engines. I prefer the latter for 'reasons', but it's hard to deny the power of those wind turbines at y 192+ once you've got any wireless transfer. I suppose if I HAVE to go big, a big reactor can hit the field but it's almost never my first choice anymore.