Whats your plan of action?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

NumberOneBlackGuy

Jul 29, 2019
I am a person who likes the challenge mod packs like agrarian skies because i have a set list of goals. I know its kind of crazy to play Minecraft and want to be restricted to a set list of goals when the game is meant to be an open sandbox but thats just the way i like to play. Therefore i tend to get bored with the open sandbox modpacks like FTB Monster. So i ask you guys what is your plan of action to progress through the Monster pack. This will hopefully give me some guidance on what to do when i create another world. Thanks in advance for your replys

Reactions: Tompa974

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Sandboxes are more or less about creating your own goals. This can really be anything you want - build a fusion reactor, breed one of every bee/tree/butterfly species, build some specific kind of structure, automate everything with maximum efficiency, make an impenetrable base for pvp, learn a new mod you've never tried before, etc. You need to set yourself up one or more goal(s)/challenges in order to really enjoy sandbox modpacks, and keep coming up with new goals/revise existing goals as you complete the ones on your list.

Tompa974

Jul 29, 2019
My goals for my next world will be to create this cool and quite big building to house all my ideas. And to breed most of the bees :)

I think the previous post explains it very well!

NumberOneBlackGuy

Jul 29, 2019
Sandboxes are more or less about creating your own goals. This can really be anything you want - build a fusion reactor, breed one of every bee/tree/butterfly species, build some specific kind of structure, automate everything with maximum efficiency, make an impenetrable base for pvp, learn a new mod you've never tried before, etc. You need to set yourself up one or more goal(s)/challenges in order to really enjoy sandbox modpacks, and keep coming up with new goals/revise existing goals as you complete the ones on your list.
I was just wondering. How do you progress through your worlds.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
I was just wondering. How do you progress through your worlds.
Typically I start with a basic base and try to get some machines working. Then I migrate and make creating a laser drill priority. Then I start working on power armor, then improved base power, and from then on I just start playing with different mods to see what they do. Of course, during this time I tend to get easily distracted by different mods as well and experiment with different/better ways to do things and mod interactions. It changes every time since I play with friends, too.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
If you just want a pack like AS I would recommend Crash Landing

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
IMO the best way to progress though on Monster is to set your own restrictions. IE not using lava for power gen, not using a specific mod. Or focus on doing everything/most things on one mod and ignore the rest. I've done this several times, and it keeps the game fresh when I've decided I can't do it my "usual" way.

Reactions: Pyure

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
1. Decide on what endgame coolness you want
2. Make a magical crops farm to get the resources for it
3. Store the results of (2) in an ME network
4. Automate all the things
5. Plan to revisit your initial ideas from (1)
6. Find a village and do really horrible things to it, completely forgetting about (5)

NumberOneBlackGuy

Jul 29, 2019
Typically I start with a basic base and try to get some machines working. Then I migrate and make creating a laser drill priority. Then I start working on power armor, then improved base power, and from then on I just start playing with different mods to see what they do. Of course, during this time I tend to get easily distracted by different mods as well and experiment with different/better ways to do things and mod interactions. It changes every time since I play with friends, too.
Thanks. Im glad your brought up that distraction part, because i would usually log on with something i want to improve on my base and then get distracted. This then leads to me doing random things that dont necessarily improve my base. The creative freedom sometimes leaves me lost in a modpack then i get bored. I feel as if you dont have goals then your just "living".

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Use only rotary craft for your power.
As a general expansion on this: pick any mod you're not 100% comfortable and try to do your infrastructure with it, while explicitly avoiding a mod you're already very comfortable (such as TE)

In my current world I have EnderIO conduits and GregTech/IC2 item transfer pipes. The latter are a lot more (difficult/annoying/whatever) to work with, but I'll be damned if I give up and retreat to conduits.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
As a general expansion on this: pick any mod you're not 100% comfortable and try to do your infrastructure with it, while explicitly avoiding a mod you're already very comfortable (such as TE)

In my current world I have EnderIO conduits and GregTech/IC2 item transfer pipes. The latter are a lot more (difficult/annoying/whatever) to work with, but I'll be damned if I give up and retreat to conduits.
I hear however they can be a lot faster.

Reactions: Pyure

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Ive already done the bare bones direwolf style of play where you just focus on working your way through the tiers of whatever mod but after a couple times, theres no challenge in it anymore. And with a modpack like Monster where theres always a "might as well just cheat" option for whatever you are working on-you have to invent ways to make it a challenge.

Reactions: Tompa974 and Pyure