Whats the best power generator?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
N

neoblackheart

So running through my world I have a pretty good setup Ore Tripling Auto ore Mining Pretty much the whole 9 yards. Even got Draconic Evolution Tier7 Energy Storage.. Now I know for a fact my 1 like 10x10 Big Reactor is capable of running my stuff but I don't want to just RUN it i want to overachieve. Any suggestions on What the best Energy Producer in the Crackpack is?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Probably Draconic Evolution Fusion, taking a look at the list. Its pretty absurd. I don't know too many setups that beat it (ReactorCraft fusion comes to mind)

N

neoblackheart

I can't get mine to work it just doesn't do anything

N

neoblackheart

the reactor energy injector refuses to take power I have tried everything I could think of

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
As Pyure said, ReactorCraft is the mack-daddy of powergen in modded MC. A beginer setup in ReC makes 3,000,000RF/t and things just go insane from there. :)

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
As Pyure said, ReactorCraft is the mack-daddy of powergen in modded MC. A beginer setup in ReC makes 3,000,000RF/t and things just go insane from there. :)

From a pure numbers standpoint, Reactorcraft definitely wins, but the amount of investment (in tech, but especially in test worlds) needed to get there tends to balance it for a long term play. Don't expect to just drop the mod into your pack and have a reactor up and running in two days. @Reika is no stranger to painful consequences, and machines/equipment exploding and/or melting is only the beginning for those not prepared to do a fair amount of homework.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
From a pure numbers standpoint, Reactorcraft definitely wins, but the amount of investment (in tech, but especially in test worlds) needed to get there tends to balance it for a long term play. Don't expect to just drop the mod into your pack and have a reactor up and running in two days. @Reika is no stranger to painful consequences, and machines/equipment exploding and/or melting is only the beginning for those not prepared to do a fair amount of homework.

No doubt, I full on rush RoC/ReC powergen and I just fired up my first low-pressure turbine after 60 hours of gameplay on our server. I haven't even started on a turbine generator yet. I'm just dumping all that tasty power into bedrock industrial coils that will power batteries of bedrock breakers and boring machines. Eventually the power will be converted into RF and fed into asshole-level vibrant capacitor banks but that is still 10+ hours away.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Just add electricraft to your pack :p
I did think about it of course but we were trying to keep the pack as svelte as possible. Also I dislike the way power comes out of batteries and is largely wasted. For instance, pulling 4MW off an auroral battery really drains 268MW. 4MW goes on to become shaft work will the rest is wasted by the resistor.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
What if there's no resistor but a lesser battery instead? Is power still wasted if you send power from a Auroral to (next-smaller-tier) battery?

I don't recall seeing that behaviour a couple years ago (I wrote a long thingy on EC back in the day)

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
It has been a few versions ago now, but I did test using a 100% full auroral battery to charge up an empty graphene battery. The amount of energy lost from the auroral battery dwarfed the energy deposited into the graphene battery. There is also the whole complication of toggling RS since batteries accept power when not getting a RS signal and only output it when receiving a RS signal. Given all that, I decided to abandon ElectriCraft and stick with bedrock coils which do the same thing but don't waste power.

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
Technically the absolute top would be the Draconic Evolution reactor as it has theoretically no upper limit. That said you will have to be VERY careful in getting up to the silly high levels or you'll end up with a very large crater where your base once was.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It has been a few versions ago now, but I did test using a 100% full auroral battery to charge up an empty graphene battery. The amount of energy lost from the auroral battery dwarfed the energy deposited into the graphene battery. There is also the whole complication of toggling RS since batteries accept power when not getting a RS signal and only output it when receiving a RS signal. Given all that, I decided to abandon ElectriCraft and stick with bedrock coils which do the same thing but don't waste power.
Good feedback. You'd also want to be very careful with your redstone signalling, including having redundancies if possible, to ensure your coil doesn't overcharge, correct? Last I checked, that was bad (my base went bowl-shaped)

Technically the absolute top would be the Draconic Evolution reactor as it has theoretically no upper limit. That said you will have to be VERY careful in getting up to the silly high levels or you'll end up with a very large crater where your base once was.
Technically ReC fission is also theoretically infinitely scalable. Not sure about ReC fusion since I've never done it.

Pound for pound, block for block, I suspect ReC is still the overall winner for silly quantities of power.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Good feedback. You'd also want to be very careful with your redstone signalling, including having redundancies if possible, to ensure your coil doesn't overcharge, correct? Last I checked, that was bad (my base went bowl-shaped)

Reika does have a penchant for punishing the careless or stupid. You are very correct that overfilling a coil will result in major and immediate base "renovations".

Reactions: Inaeo and Reika

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Seems to me like ftbutil's ability to claim and then chunkload for free makes building these reactors away from your base more practical. Though you run into transmission problems if you lack mods like te or chromaticraft for their abilities to transmit power infinitely at an infinite distance. Base go boom is a ummmm... unfortunate common thread for me.

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019

Technically ReC fission is also theoretically infinitely scalable. Not sure about ReC fusion since I've never done it.

Pound for pound, block for block, I suspect ReC is still the overall winner for silly quantities of power.
Well either way when you start getting into those levels the approach is the same: Do it perfectly or rebuild your base. :D