What would you like to see most?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
While this is true for just playing around, it does not make for good viewing IMO.

"Today I'm going to be working on some Gregtech stuff! Stay tuned for the next 20 episodes to see me make the most basic of energy creation/storage systems! Remember to hit that like button!"

or

"Today is a clip show of 20 minutes compressing down hours of work to get this.. bla bla bla... For the love of GOD hit that like button!"

PS. I know this is exaggerated to the extreme, but it does illustrate my point.
i couldnt figure out witch one was sarcastic.

Blockmaster139

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah...a lot of you seem to be completely missing that GregTech in TPPI is on easy mode. Worst it does is change the quarry recipe.

Anyways, I'd love to see a Blood n' Bones playthrough that lasts more than 10 minutes (hint: don't play hardcore)

Tyken132

Jul 29, 2019
*Tyken replies to comment...becomes nervous....*
I was hinting about my 3rd party modpack in progress, but if you made one that would be great! :p

Oh! Didn't know you were making one. What'd be so special about my mod pack?

Play what you want to play. Video/twitch series' are much more interesting when you are only doing what you want to do, rather than what others want you to do.

/opinion

As long as I get to be creative and make cool machines? I'll love playing any mod pack.

The focus of that statement was the part where I said "a lot of new content to explore." For sake of the viewers, if you cover NEW CONTENT that hasn't been done to death it can make for a really engaging stream :D

I don't think gregtech is all that new or interesting enough to warrent that sort of trade off. Though, if my potential viewers were to disagree, I'd be fine with it. Though as Stated...it does take much more time and makes for generally dull videos.

Yeah...a lot of you seem to be completely missing that GregTech in TPPI is on easy mode. Worst it does is change the quarry recipe.

Anyways, I'd love to see a Blood n' Bones playthrough that lasts more than 10 minutes (hint: don't play hardcore)

Pretty sure both he and the TPPI team change a lot more than just the quarry..I think its suppose to be a harder mod pack? Either way, don't feel like it adds that much. That's just my general opinion, I liked the mod pack but I don't see what makes it better than any other.

As for blood n bones? I played around with it a bit after someone else suggested it....and holy crap. There may be plenty of vulgar language in such a series.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Trick question. It's not exaggerated.
That's a horrible joke to make, darkshrine. I may not use GregTech much because it drives me up the wall with some changes, but even I know that whole comment is 186430% hyperbole.

Tyken132

Jul 29, 2019
Youtube Letsplays? Showcases? :p
Well, I can do those with any mod pack, not just a custom, made-by-me, mod pack :p Unless of course I misunderstood, then feel free to correct me.

Either way! I plan on doing some cool stuffs with any mod pack I chose. Granted, as long as there is cool stuff to be had.

Reactions: RealSketch

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
That's a horrible joke to make, darkshrine. I may not use GregTech much because it drives me up the wall with some changes, but even I know that whole comment is 186430% hyperbole.
I wish i could say it's a joke, but gregtech or not, i've actually seen youtubers do this. More so, if they are using gregtech solely because gregtech is designed to force you through its tech teir. You can't just make what you want when you want it. I've seen a TPPI lp that they decided they wanted to make x machine and 15 episodes later they still don't have the power requirements or materials to make/use the machine.

As for compressing hours of work into 20 minutes, i can honestly say that i'm possitive that DW20 is guilty of this. Sure, it may have been super tedious things like mining or half of agrarian skies, but he's done it.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I wish i could say it's a joke, but gregtech or not, i've actually seen youtubers do this. More so, if they are using gregtech solely because gregtech is designed to force you through its tech teir. You can't just make what you want when you want it. I've seen a TPPI lp that they decided they wanted to make x machine and 15 episodes later they still don't have the power requirements or materials to make/use the machine.

As for compressing hours of work into 20 minutes, i can honestly say that i'm possitive that DW20 is guilty of this. Sure, it may have been super tedious things like mining or half of agrarian skies, but he's done it.
Ah. So you've seen people make something they can't yet use and they use GregTech. Hardly a pair of connected events. And most mods already DO force you through their tech tiers.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. So you've seen people make something they can't yet use and they use GregTech. Hardly a pair of connected events. And most mods already DO force you through their tech tiers.
Less force you, more you need the materials to. Basic IC2 for example, I typically go strait from batbox to MFSU because i have the materials and it's fairly easy. In TE3, i typically jump from hardened energy cell to resonant because i have the materials. Even in rotarycraft, when i first started playing with it, i already had a bunch of materials and jumped up to using the RF powered engine(no, i don't remember the name).

Gregtech is the only mod i've played with that you had to climb the tech tiers one by one. You can't just jump into late game gregtech if you have enough materials. The amount of materials you have doesn't really matter, because you still have to process them using the right machines to get things you need to progress.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
You can't "jump into late game" in RotaryCraft either, or TE3. You went and used hardened RF storage since you had the materials to do so. That is, you already could break ores into dusts, and made invar to skip a stage since you could do so. You can technically skip the Bronze stage in GT if you can make steel without a GT Blast furnace, lo and behold, one can even if only just adds TiCo.
...Also you know that the magnetostatic engine was fixed, right? You can't just use that and ignore other things in RoC now, since it has to be upgraded to be useful. And to make an upgrade, you must first prove you don't need it.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
You can't "jump into late game" in RotaryCraft either, or TE3. You went and used hardened RF storage since you had the materials to do so. That is, you already could break ores into dusts, and made invar to skip a stage since you could do so. You can technically skip the Bronze stage in GT if you can make steel without a GT Blast furnace, lo and behold, one can even if only just adds TiCo.
...Also you know that the magnetostatic engine was fixed, right? You can't just use that and ignore other things in RoC now, since it has to be upgraded to be useful. And to make an upgrade, you must first prove you don't need it.

While I feel that i made my point about the earlier post not necessarily being exaggerated, this resulting conversation is a bit off topic. Therefore, i'll attempt to end it as quickly as possible.

My major point when referencing gregtech is that it's the only mod i've seen that has well defined tech tiers that can't be skipped solely because you have x amount of materials. The major difference between gregtech that keeps people from jumping ahead is because you need to use certain machines to process into certain metals/chemicals to progress to the next tier.

TE3 lacks the well defined tiers. The only thing you need the induction furnace for is Enderium and Hardened glass. Electrum and Invar can be made using the dusts straight from the pulverizer. The only defined tier system that i can see in TE3 is basically just a question of whether you've been to the nether or not.

Going into Rotarycraft, it also lacks the well defined tech tiers. While, yes the tech tiers are present, they're not very well defined. If you have the materials, then you can make anything in the mod. That doesn't mean that you can run the machines due to ethanol/jet fuel/lubricant. They're is a tier of machines that need to be made, but after that you can make anything you want. I think, the only thing it's really missing to have those defined tiers is for the manual to be organized into tiers.

ps: the main reason i jumped to the magnetostatic engine was because i couldn't figure out any other way to make rotarycraft power travel over a distance without linking up an idiotic number of shafts. I am doing an entire world running everything on rotarycraft instead of already having a pre-set up power system to run off of.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I want to see you find someone else's very ornate and aesthetically lovely dwelling and bombard it from afar with projectile sand, gravel and livestock.

There's not nearly enough of this these days...

Blockmaster139

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure both he and the TPPI team change a lot more than just the quarry..I think its suppose to be a harder mod pack? Either way, don't feel like it adds that much. That's just my general opinion, I liked the mod pack but I don't see what makes it better than any other.

As for blood n bones? I played around with it a bit after someone else suggested it....and holy crap. There may be plenty of vulgar language in such a series.

In TPPI, Gregtech is set to ONLY change the quarry recipe. TPPI Tweaks does change some other recipes such as the Digital Miner and Ender Quarry in order to balance the back, not make it harder. There is a big difference.

Reactions: trajing and YX33A

Tyken132

Jul 29, 2019
In TPPI, Gregtech is set to ONLY change the quarry recipe. TPPI Tweaks does change some other recipes such as the Digital Miner and Ender Quarry in order to balance the back, not make it harder. There is a big difference.
Well, whoever changes the recipies, it changes a lot more than that, I think. Ender chests/tanks need a tessseract instead of an ender pearl. The modular power armor is pretty annoying to make now.

The normal quarry and quarry plus have been set to hard mode as well. IC2 has obviously been modified and honestly, most of the machines it replaces aren't nearly as good. (For example, a fully upgraded macerator is so much better than its automatic counter part)

Actually, now that I think about it, I doubt there's a single mod in TPPI that they haven't tweeked atleast a little.

Keep in mind, however. I'm not saying TPPI is a bad mod pack, I've had tons of fun playing it. The point i'm trying to make is that I simply don't feel like it offeres much except for a slightly longer/harder play-through.

Blockmaster139

Jul 29, 2019
Slightly? Hah! Also I was only giving one example of recipes that are changed, and there are a lot of mods that aren't tweaked, mostly the magic mods. The automatic version of IC2 machines are from Gregtech, they are better at first, before you can afford overclockers as they auto-output, similar to TE machines. Once you can afford overclockers, you can just craft them back and forth with no extra cost. What reason is there for Quarry+ to be on easy mode, compared to all the other auto-miners, which have been balanced (apart from Steve's Carts, the Arcane Bore, and IC2 Miners)? It's more powerful than the Digital Miner, whose recipe has been tweaked to be balanced too.

What TPPI offers is a balanced gameplay, not just a whole bunch of mods tossed together and expected to work. Lots of stuff has been tweaked to make sure that you can go down any tech tree and not be forced into the cheaper/more efficient one just because it's easier. In that sense, I guess it's designed for SMP where lots of people are playing together and doing different things but getting the same result, e.g one player may be using a Quarry+, whereas one may use a Digital Miner, but they both pay a fair price and got a fair output.

Reactions: YX33A

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Slightly? Hah! Also I was only giving one example of recipes that are changed, and there are a lot of mods that aren't tweaked, mostly the magic mods. The automatic version of IC2 machines are from Gregtech, they are better at first, before you can afford overclockers as they auto-output, similar to TE machines. Once you can afford overclockers, you can just craft them back and forth with no extra cost. What reason is there for Quarry+ to be on easy mode, compared to all the other auto-miners, which have been balanced (apart from Steve's Carts, the Arcane Bore, and IC2 Miners)? It's more powerful than the Digital Miner, whose recipe has been tweaked to be balanced too.

What TPPI offers is a balanced gameplay, not just a whole bunch of mods tossed together and expected to work. Lots of stuff has been tweaked to make sure that you can go down any tech tree and not be forced into the cheaper/more efficient one just because it's easier. In that sense, I guess it's designed for SMP where lots of people are playing together and doing different things but getting the same result, e.g one player may be using a Quarry+, whereas one may use a Digital Miner, but they both pay a fair price and got a fair output.
Blergh. I don't like TPPI and its balancing. All righty, I'll make a generator to make power using redstone for a mod that is a redstone sink. Oh, wait. I need 405 redstone for that. That is possibly the worst thing I have seen in a modpack with custom tweaks.

Blockmaster139

Jul 29, 2019
Blergh. I don't like TPPI and its balancing. All righty, I'll make a generator to make power using redstone for a mod that is a redstone sink. Oh, wait. I need 405 redstone for that. That is possibly the worst thing I have seen in a modpack with custom tweaks.

As somebody who has used the Heated Redstone Generator, it is RIDICULOUSLY powerful. You get 1.6 MILLION RF at 320 RF/T per SINGLE REDSTONE in a Magma Crucible. And that costs what, 2000 RF to melt? It's a joke. For reference, I was using 48 of them, all powered by a single, max size, Redstone Crop Farm. Initial cost was crazy, but that was only because it was filling the gigantic buffers. This may sound weird, but I am glad that I didn't get that crazy thing as early as it would have been.

Also, I'm guessing you haven't seen their oregen tweaks. Redstone is super easy to find when manually mining. Plus, as I said before, it's about balancing. Without the change any other setup would be way less powerful and limit the players options.

Tyken132

Jul 29, 2019

I'm going to have to disagree with you..Besides, what good does the balancing offer? If a player is creative and resourceful enough, all those change does is slow down the game at first. In all seriousness, it took me maybe a week at most(Only a few hours a day) to have all of the resources I could possibly use.

The point i'm trying to make is that if all TPPI offers is balance, then its not worth the trade off unless that's specifically what you're looking for.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
As somebody who has used the Heated Redstone Generator, it is RIDICULOUSLY powerful. You get 1.6 MILLION RF at 320 RF/T per SINGLE REDSTONE in a Magma Crucible. And that costs what, 2000 RF to melt? It's a joke. For reference, I was using 48 of them, all powered by a single, max size, Redstone Crop Farm. Initial cost was crazy, but that was only because it was filling the gigantic buffers. This may sound weird, but I am glad that I didn't get that crazy thing as early as it would have been.

Also, I'm guessing you haven't seen their oregen tweaks. Redstone is super easy to find when manually mining. Plus, as I said before, it's about balancing. Without the change any other setup would be way less powerful and limit the players options.
Well, I spent around 20 minutes looking for redstone.

Reactions: Padfoote