What would you guys like in a mod pack?

L

Louiiey

Please suggest what you'd like a modpack to be based around below

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Might be asking way too much, but I need a new reason to play a game I love but am burned out on. Essentially that means something new that hasn't been done before. Not asking much, right?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Just take some time off from the game. Don't make it a chore to keep yourself interested. Otherwise you will end up hating it but still play it out of stubbornness and you will just waste your free time which becomes more and more precious as you go on.

As for OP; Don't ask us or you will end up with Infinity Evolved only maybe a bit fuller (and more then likely better with less bugs).

I want a coherent experience with every mod thoughtfully picked out to achieve the pack makers goal.
I want to see your knowledge of the mods in the choices alone, all the bases covered, all the bases you intended to cover that is.

Build the pack you want to see. Add the mods you like, make the tweaks you find fair. Find nee mods you find interesting.

A gap in the "market" I see is a successful "less is more" modpack or a pack that merely removes those perks we've become accustomed to like flight and tesseracts.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: fowltief and Reddis

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Well, a mod I wouldn't mind seeing to appear more in modpacks is inductive automation.
It has an interesting power system
interesting ways to make machines work together
a lot of the processes make by products that are actually useful (ores to dust needs water which becomes steam in the process which can either be trashed or be used to make a bit more power though never enough to make it an endless cycle)
It also has nice inventory gadgets, a way to teleport power into your inventory and nice cc/oc support.

Reactions: fowltief

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Well said @Azzanine. The problem is I love the game and WANT to play. The want just isn't greater than the will to do it=)

When I think of what I would like to see in a modpack, I think of what I haven't done, or what isn't out there. I would really like to see a mod that expands Tinker's Construct. IMO TC is the greatest mod in MC and would love to have more reasons to use it past early game. Maybe a modular armor crafting system, or new "combinable" alloys that create random or fixed enchantments, or a decorative item crafting process that is modular, or even a combination of 2 mods like RailCraft and Tinker's Construct, where you have to make all of your rails with the smeltery. You get the idea.

My 2nd favorite mod is Applied Energistics 2 and AE2 Stuff. For me, AE2 is a mid to late game mod and I would love to see something that stretches the mod into early game as well. Maybe a simple computer terminal that you can plug a flash drive into and store a few blocks. Something that can happen before the meteorite hunt and the inscriber crafting.

As an honorable mention, I love almost anything that has multi-block structures. Big reactors, coal coke furnaces, steam boilers, etc.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

ShootingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
I want to see a mod pack that makes you overpowered in the endgame and utilizes projecte or EE3, hell I'll even ask for a recreation of the technic mod pack from1.2.5 days of MC

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Well said @Azzanine. The problem is I love the game and WANT to play. The want just isn't greater than the will to do it=)

When I think of what I would like to see in a modpack, I think of what I haven't done, or what isn't out there. I would really like to see a mod that expands Tinker's Construct. IMO TC is the greatest mod in MC and would love to have more reasons to use it past early game. Maybe a modular armor crafting system, or new "combinable" alloys that create random or fixed enchantments, or a decorative item crafting process that is modular, or even a combination of 2 mods like RailCraft and Tinker's Construct, where you have to make all of your rails with the smeltery. You get the idea.

My 2nd favorite mod is Applied Energistics 2 and AE2 Stuff. For me, AE2 is a mid to late game mod and I would love to see something that stretches the mod into early game as well. Maybe a simple computer terminal that you can plug a flash drive into and store a few blocks. Something that can happen before the meteorite hunt and the inscriber crafting.

As an honorable mention, I love almost anything that has multi-block structures. Big reactors, coal coke furnaces, steam boilers, etc.

Its really nice to hear someone talking positively about Tinker's Construct, and not just in the context of making the best weapon!

Something that has inspired me recently, and that I would encourage you to look into, is the way FTB Infinity Evolved Skyblock has treated, tweaked and (pardon the phrase) tinkered with TiC. Some of the things they have done, involving new alloying recipes, novel casting processes, and stuff like that, is really very interesting! And - as I discovered recently - much like in Thermal Expansion with their mana dust/primal mana/mana-infused metal, there is at least one resource in TiC which does not by default have a recipe/definitive use, but exists in mod: Red Aurum. Because its already rendered and exists in the mod, that gives you something to then tweak and mess around with - so you might make it require an alloy of (for example) pokefennium and fairy (two other TiC alloys), or gold, blood and xp/mana/draconium if you wanted to introduce other mods.

And then there are the modtweak/minetweakable basin and table casting mechanics, the variable levels of heat required, the drying rack that you can add recipes for...

TL;DR - there is a HUGE flexibility in TiC generally, and especially if you're willing to learn a bit about how to customise and tweak it. So perhaps a project like that, where you have a vision that you can then work towards and learn along the way, would help with rekindling your interest?

What you said about combining RC and TiC really made me think - you could require iron tool rods for the crafting recipe in the rolling machine, as an example - so you need both mods to get to the final product. Or, you make the wooden rail beds then put them in the casting table and pour iron over them to make rails. Perhaps reinforced rails would need steel over a stone rail bed.

I love Immersive Engineering's whole aesthetic and multiblocks, and the numerous places that can be tweaked are very cool and worth a look too!

----

As for me, much of the above is what I'd like too. Stuff integrated, not to make it harder (like in Infinity) but to make the pack feel coherent and consistent - so things tied together in a logical fashion that makes sense, rather than just for the sake of it.
Little things like ComputerCraft computers requiring chipsets, and Big Reactor controllers needing computers - those pleased me :)

I thought Regrowth's handling of things like that were nice, and it also had a good theme to it as well.

- GwnG

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
@GamerwithnoGame I enjoyed reading your post. I did not realize that expert mode had the recipes adjusted so dramatically, but I know they were harder. Perhaps you could offer some advice. I consider myself a better than average user of kitchen sink mods as I know a little about (almost) all of the packs, but a less than average user of Skyblock and expert mode both. Aside from watching "let's play" series and old fashion googling to learn the mods I don't know, what advice would you give to someone who is scared of expert mode in general?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
@Reddis I'm glad you liked it! I would like to make a correction to what I said: its the add-on mod "Extra TiC" that adds in the pokefennium, fairy and red aurum alloy possibilities (the last of those having no recipe) - it also adds in numerous metals from other mods too, so is something of an essential for many people!

I must also say that I am very much the interested observer unfortunately, I'm no more experienced in actually playing things like Expert mode, I've watched playthroughs and - because of my natural interest in these things - paid very close attention to the changed recipes and integration I see done in the pack. I've also done a fair bit of research into the MineTweaker and ModTweaker mods (found in many packs), as well as Quadrum (seen used in Regrowth and Obscurity), which are the mods that allow these sorts of things to happen. Obscurity is amazing by the way, I can recommend @Delgar3's playthrough as he gets most of the quests covered and is entertaining with it.

Bearing these things in mind, I can't advise you with regards to being scared of Expert Mode, except to take inspiration from it and start learning to change things yourself; @jordsta95 has done some good MT tutorials too. Create a custom modpack with just a few bits in and start small, with simple things like removing recipes and adding in new ones - you might change a book to require two bits of paper rather than one, for example. Also think about what kind of "feel" you want to have when you're playing, and what sort of changes might elicit that reaction.

Sorry, its a bit rambling, hope it helps!

Reactions: Reddis
D

DireChyymeras

i'm interested in conceptual and story based modpacks tbh, I would love to see ones with more of a medieval feel or vanilla-inspired playstyle

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
@DireChyymeras I don't know if the Resonant Rise pack on the ATLauncher would fit your needs or not. The concept behind the RR pack is that you can set the pack up to approximate an era that you want to play in, for example, low tech, modern, or high tech, with just a few clicks to set it up. From there you can further edit the mod pack with a few more clicks to add or remove required or recommended mods. For example, let's say you want to approximate the bronze age but you JUST CAN'T live without a wireless charger; 1 click adds enderio.

Also, I believe the pack has the ability to quickly set the number of mods based on your pc strength, mod lite, mod medium, mod heavy.

I personally found the Resonant Rise pack to be extremely well put together and prefer the ATLauncher over the FTB one. (Except AT doesn't have Infinity =P)

D

DireChyymeras

@DireChyymeras I don't know if the Resonant Rise pack on the ATLauncher would fit your needs or not. The concept behind the RR pack is that you can set the pack up to approximate an era that you want to play in, for example, low tech, modern, or high tech, with just a few clicks to set it up. From there you can further edit the mod pack with a few more clicks to add or remove required or recommended mods. For example, let's say you want to approximate the bronze age but you JUST CAN'T live without a wireless charger; 1 click adds enderio.

Also, I believe the pack has the ability to quickly set the number of mods based on your pc strength, mod lite, mod medium, mod heavy.

I personally found the Resonant Rise pack to be extremely well put together and prefer the ATLauncher over the FTB one. (Except AT doesn't have Infinity =P)
I had a look over at resonant rise but it seems they've removed the ages sub categories :/