what will u run a feed the beast server on

Swaffer

Jul 29, 2019
cool sounding mod. Will it be a whole minigame?

I love the randomness of some mods now, like the awesome and addicying Beekeeping in forestry

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Beekeeping just rocks!

I love Forestry in all its glory. One of the better mods right up there next to Eloraan.

the way the guy puts its tooltips into its items and GUI's. The way everything gets personaly locked without the help of a plugin
The fun features and extremely large abilitys XD Keeps amazing me

Reactions: Swaffer

welshtony

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of problems here with the specs you got!

1. Memory limits and unstable Windows 7 ( 64Bit)
  • Starter: 8GB
  • Home Basic: 8GB
  • Home Premium: 16GB
  • Professional: 192GB
  • Enterprise: 192GB
  • Ultimate: 192GB
Look into Linux since windows home software or any non server OS is very unstable and will need multiple reboots of the whole system.

Hence why im only looking at going to 16GB thats more than enough for my needs

2.Ram with 2000Mhz
This means you will need to overlcock your RAM its Hz since every motherboard runs on 1333 stock! You need to overclock your motherboards buss to be able to get it above 1600. Then you will need to overclock your CPU as well to get it to follow and run STABLE! Aslo as you go up in Hz you will have to go lower in your latency's i see a CL 14-14-14-24 comming witch is worse to run server on since the responce time just went awfull.

This means you will need VERY good cooling! Your stock CPU cooler will not hold up and you will kill your hardware. Even with a good cooler this is a awfull setup for 24/7 runtime due to the unstable server hardware!

If you actually read the spec you would realise I do not have a Stock cooler and the CPU I have is designed to be overclocked along with everything else. I built my system to be overclocked.

3.A 250Gb SSD or even 500GB is a bad choice!
buy a Serverdrive witch is build for 24/7 use for your OS to run on. Then get 2 - 4 Small SSD's (40 - 60GB) and put then into at least raid 0 or better 4 in raid 10.
This will increase your Drive speeds by almoste 2 and give MC a lot more room to work with. You dont need 200 Gig for mc ever! and this is cheaper as well!

Also look into a database system for all plugins that are compatible with it.

If you read the very 1st line of my post I said I have a CreeperHost server that the FTB Mod pack will be put on. I was only giving the spec of my system that I will be accessing the server on.

Hope you can use this info and do something with it. Take in account i do know my hardware. I am a overclocker, Computer modder, and server owner myself so i am not that douche that just wants to beat you down. Hope this post helps you out in picking the right server hardware

I do really appreciate the info but my system isnt ment to host a 24/7 server on. The only server I run on my system is for YouTube recording and thats once in a blue mood. But as I said the spec isnt a server spec it was a spec of the system I use to access the server (client side). I actually dont know the full spec on the top of my head for my CreeperHost server.

Im also on a well know UK PC builders forum that if I ever get stuck on they can help out no probs.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Since this topic is about "what will you run ftb SERVER on "
One would naturally assume you posted your server specs.

And as a datacenterrunner, modder and overclocker this setup did not seen right at all.

soulgriever

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing to consider which is where me and greed differ ALOT a common idea out there is to have multiple points of failure, greed has a sweet setup I wont lie about that at all but he has everything on one box, when his machine crashed what happen, no website,no server,no teamspeak. If you use other methods of communication such as forums like these its not a life or death issue but it is an inconvenience to your players. They cant chat on your ts server while the minecraft server is down and they cant browse your website to ease their pain of not being able to play on the server of their choice. But there is a plus to this setup as well one that I hate you for greed lol. you DONT need a subdomain. With this option you can have just one URL pointing to the box and this makes you able to put the same url in minecraft that you put in to view their site and visit their TS its a one address fits all case.

On a side note figured I would throw up the specs for my new toy we got away from the VPS and went dedicated
E3-1230v2
16GB Ram
128GB SSD
Ubuntu 12.04LTS
100Mbps

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing to consider which is where me and greed differ ALOT a common idea out there is to have multiple points of failure, greed has a sweet setup I wont lie about that at all but he has everything on one box, when his machine crashed what happen, no website,no server,no teamspeak. If you use other methods of communication such as forums like these its not a life or death issue but it is an inconvenience to your players. They cant chat on your ts server while the minecraft server is down and they cant browse your website to ease their pain of not being able to play on the server of their choice. But there is a plus to this setup as well one that I hate you for greed lol. you DONT need a subdomain. With this option you can have just one URL pointing to the box and this makes you able to put the same url in minecraft that you put in to view their site and visit their TS its a one address fits all case.

On a side note figured I would throw up the specs for my new toy we got away from the VPS and went dedicated
E3-1230v2
16GB Ram
128GB SSD
Ubuntu 12.04LTS
100Mbps

Whahaha :p Love you two Soully :p

Well about the crashing. We never dreamed of it ever crashing so soon. THe hardware was 6 months old... But oke, there where plans for a backup website if something like this ever went down. Now we just dind implement them at the time it happen since the ammount of work we have.
We do have one now so yeah :p We will get it back up soon soul :p !

soulgriever

Jul 29, 2019
Whahaha :p Love you two Soully :p

Well about the crashing. We never dreamed of it ever crashing so soon. THe hardware was 6 months old... But oke, there where plans for a backup website if something like this ever went down. Now we just dind implement them at the time it happen since the ammount of work we have.
We do have one now so yeah :p We will get it back up soon soul :p !
I tease btw when we get ftb up ill push the server to 32gb of ram as well just not a need for it atm what you think of my core choice though? before we had 6 cores of an e5-2690 so we lost a few threads but we still have some to play with as well as the clock speed

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice. We are getting simmular speeds on our new AMD machine. A tiny bit more but close :p. I hope to see you on ts again prity soon soul xD ! still points we need to talk about a :p

soulgriever

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice. We are getting simmular speeds on our new AMD machine. A tiny bit more but close :p. I hope to see you on ts again prity soon soul xD ! still points we need to talk about a :p
talk about a what lol and Im sure ill be at mcdonalds one of these days to get past this crappy net, Maby ill hack their network xD jk

soulgriever

Jul 29, 2019
no it doesnt lol but it works for TS the place where Im staying has the ts ports blocked I need a way around them lol but lets not derail here

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
no it doesnt lol but it works for TS the place where Im staying has the ts ports blocked I need a way around them lol but lets not derail here

Oke true.
The E3-1230v2 is a nice little CPU. Its 8 threads witch is more then you need. But 32G is the max you can ever go since the CPU is limited to that ammount of ram. Its a Single QPI 5GT/s with 25,6GB/s Mem transfer so thats why they dont let them handle more. Still a amazing little CPU for Minecraft. You will be set with that one. Just due to the single core design of minecraft.
So yeah system looks very good :D

ScottWears

Jul 29, 2019
I have an old laptop lying around with an i3 and 3gbs or ram that will do me if i ever need a server I dont need to be all posh :p

soulgriever

Jul 29, 2019
I have an old laptop lying around with an i3 and 3gbs or ram that will do me if i ever need a server I dont need to be all posh :p
to be completely honest thats near what I started on. I ran a server off of my hp dv4 intel i3 and 4gb of ram and things just slowly went up from there. Minecraft servers usualy never start on a machine that is actualy built for them. Someone gets an idea to just host one for a few people to play next thing they know they might be delux

Grim2050

Jul 29, 2019
I will be running ftb on the following dedicated server:

Xeon Quad Core 3.2GHz
16GB DDR3 up to 1333Mhz
2 x 1TB HDDs RAID 1 - Mirror
Ubuntu Linux

Maximuscr31

Jul 29, 2019
Here is our dedicated server we have been running tekkit, vanilla, hack/mine, sv games, and ftb beta on.
Intel Dual Xeon L5420
Hard Drive:
256GB Samsung 830 SSD SATA MLC $30.00 USD
Memory Configuration:
24GB DDR2 ECC $15.00 USD
Bandwidth Configuration:
100 Mbps Unmetered
Operating System:
Ubuntu 12.04 (64-Bit)