What To Do in Infinity

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
E

Exclusive733

I'm not very experianced with mods but I know basics of almost every mod.

I need a "things to do" list, so I can figure myself how does mods work.

What I always do is like that:
  • First of all I build all the tinker stuff, including the smeltery and I make my tools
  • I always make myself a pulverizer or sag mill, and an electric fueled furnace.
  • I get power from survival generator and connect it to an energy cell.
  • I set up botania stuff and make myself basic botania items such as soujourner's sash
That's it. I stuck here. I don't know what to do, I just mine, hunt and do boring stuff.
I need recommendations from you. What should I build next? I like electric stuff more, but I can take a look at magic mods if you recommend cool things to do.

EDIT:
Now I have 2 big BC2 quarries, an automated farm and an AE2 storage. I've got too much power coming from my reactor, and I can't even use it. I need stuff to use this power.

Last edited:

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019
- What about storage? Create a Logistics Pipes sorting system to auto-sort stuff into your chests, autocraft etc. Combine it with Storage Drawers or Barrels. Or use AE2.
For me LP was a real challenge and I had a lot of fun doing it.
- How is your farm/food situation? Could it be automated with MFR/Ender IO farming machines?
- Have you been to the end yet? This task alone requires some preparation in terms of tools and armor.

Just some ideas. I know how it feels being stuck...
Sometimes it helps to google some mods in the pack and read more about their mid/endgame items or machinery. You're going to find something you can work towards.

E

Exclusive733

- What about storage? Create a Logistics Pipes sorting system to auto-sort stuff into your chests, autocraft etc. Combine it with Storage Drawers or Barrels. Or use AE2.
For me LP was a real challenge and I had a lot of fun doing it.
- How is your farm/food situation? Could it be automated with MFR/Ender IO farming machines?
- Have you been to the end yet? This task alone requires some preparation in terms of tools and armor.

Just some ideas. I know how it feels being stuck...
Sometimes it helps to google some mods in the pack and read more about their mid/endgame items or machinery. You're going to find something you can work towards.
Storage is a real mess. All ores, ingots and mod related stuff goes to a few diamond/obsidian chests and vanilla stuff goes to another one. Focusing on storage is a good idea :)
About food, I have a small 5x10 manual potato/carrot farm that provides my all food, and I have a small bush of berries just in case. I also have a few stacks of meat. Food is not my first priority since i have a lot more food than I need, but I can focus on automating my farm later.
And nope, in infinity I haven't. My armor and sword is powerful enough to go to the end but I don't see it necessary, and I don't like end.

Thanks for the ideas, especially the one about the storage. :)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Storage is a real mess. All ores, ingots and mod related stuff goes to a few diamond/obsidian chests and vanilla stuff goes to another one. Focusing on storage is a good idea :)
About food, I have a small 5x10 manual potato/carrot farm that provides my all food, and I have a small bush of berries just in case. I also have a few stacks of meat. Food is not my first priority since i have a lot more food than I need, but I can focus on automating my farm later.
And nope, in infinity I haven't. My armor and sword is powerful enough to go to the end but I don't see it necessary, and I don't like end.

Thanks for the ideas, especially the one about the storage. :)
It might be a little out of reach at the moment, but when you can build them, the Drawer Controller is very handy - you can pump items into it and if all drawers are connected to it, and there is a drawer for those items, they will go straight in there. Interestingly, it also acts as an interface for taking items OUT of there if using something like ProjectRed, Logistics Pipes, or AE2.

E

Exclusive733

It might be a little out of reach at the moment, but when you can build them, the Drawer Controller is very handy - you can pump items into it and if all drawers are connected to it, and there is a drawer for those items, they will go straight in there. Interestingly, it also acts as an interface for taking items OUT of there if using something like ProjectRed, Logistics Pipes, or AE2.
I've never used storage drawers before. Sounds like it worth checking out :)
I really like AE2's storage but I'm actually too lazy to build it. Anyways, thanks for the idea!

What else I can do?

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019
Some more things to work towards:
- BC Quarry/Ender Quarry because manual mining gets tedious
- Flight (jetpacks)
- Automatic tree farms (Forestry/MFR)
- Bees (if you have a lot of time and patience... you can produce most important ores/resources with them)
- Mob farms (lots of options here, f.ex. with Cursed Earth, Auto-Spawners from MFR, Ender IO..., or simply grab a vanilla spawner with a diamond dolly and place it in a dark room)
- More Power. Most mid/endgame machines need lots of power, so you could go for Immersive Engineering Waterwheels or Windmills, Culinary Generators from Extra Utilities or even a Big Reactor when you have enough resources

Some people also enjoy going deeper into magic with Thaumcraft, Blood Magic and their additions.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Just because it hasn't been said yet, build something. Architecturally, I mean. Live somewhere you can be proud of. Build additional housing and protect your newly created custom village.

Trains. Build a train system to facilitate moving players and resources around, then work to automate it to the point where it runs constantly without supervision.

Create a lumber mill, including automated harvesting and planting of trees (of at least four varieties) and basic autocrafting of the basic lumber based items (planks, sticks, chests, slabs, crafting tables, charcoal, torches, various Storage Drawers, doors, etc.). Tie this into your storage using before mentioned trains.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix
E

Exclusive733

@splashblue, I added bees and quarries to the list with high priority! Also I will start to thaumcraft soon. Thanks!

@Inaeo well, I try to build stuff but it gets meaningless after a point. I ask myself this: "Why do I build this if I can't fill it?" I have a small nice house and I couldn't even fill it yet. Maybe after I reached a point that I need more rooms, I might think of building a cool base, but not now.
And also your post gave me a few ideas thanks :)

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Look around your house. How many machines do you see that take up actual space? Outside of the kitchen and possibly laundry area, I doubt you will find many. Filling some of that space with things you would find in a normal abode (BiblioCraft excells at this, but clever use of Carpenter's Stairs and Carpet Blocks can make for lovely furniture as well). Not trying to preach, just saying.

Glad I could add to your list though. Glad to see Thaumcraft on your list - the amount of useful content in TC is amazing, and with the ten thousand add-ons (or so it feels) there is nearly nothing you can't do with it if you try. Do note that one of those add-ons provides crossover between Botania, so your existing infrastructure can potentially help you through.

Good luck and have fun. :)

E

Exclusive733

Update-
Now I have a lot more power than I need (thanks to my reactor) but I can't find something to use this power. It fills my 16M RF storage in a really short time and I power off my reactor.
I've got two big bc2 quarries, an automated 7x7 farm and an AE2 storage. What should I build to use this power? Because I've seen that power is a real concern to the people. I've never had an issue with power o_O

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
In a nutshell: Get power -> power machines -> machines collect resources -> resources make more power and machines.

Long answer- challange yourself and/or explore the mods you haven't used yet. Try automating something with frames. Play around with Buildcraft robotics.

You could also switch to 'expert mode' which cranks up the difficulty a little ;)

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Could always go with a mining laser from MFR, or start creating RF dimensions. That will eat your power up!

Sent from a mystical device from North of the 49th

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
If you concentrate on just the tech, and automation, then you will end up with a giant tubular mess of machines, power and crafting squatting on the landscape. And then - so what?

So, before you even punch your first tree, decide on a theme for your build.
Do you want to build a castle? Fallout shelter? Functional Village? High tech research facility? Scout about, perhaps in creative mode, for a suitable site to build. Flat land if you want a village / industrial age build. Steep Cliffs if you want an entrance into a dwarf fortress.

Then, when building you probably wont have the materials at first, but try split out your rooms to keep your machines, their power, and other requirements separate.
If you are building a Fallout shelter, you might go so far as to build a water room and fill it with tanks. If you use any infinite water generation, put it here. All the water (liquids) required in the rest of your base must come from here. Likewise, split out power generation, farms etc.

Whatever you do, don't use tesseracts or other shortcuts that allow you to skip infrastructure. Do decide that some very hard to produce block - say Iridium - should be used in your base for decorative purpose, and automate its production. If you delve into the chisel blocks, and other decorative blocks, there is a lot of opportunity to automate the production of, or build the infrastructure to gather, blocks that you will use just to build the walls and floors (and ceilings) of your base.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quetzi

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Along the lines of what greenzombie said... If you want a "guideline" you could try the refuge to regent challenge. You don't have to be strict with the rules if you don't want to. But it has a section that offers ideas of rooms to put into structures (useful if you're going to go the village route.)

U

Uraneum

I usually do a lot of IC2 and Applied Energistics. I set up a quarry, have it sort items into chests and such until I can get a computer terminal going with Applied Energistics, and then work on big power generators like advanced solar panels or nuclear reactors. Just that stuff alone takes a long time. If you're bored of Tinkers' Construct, you might want to try Draconic Evolution. It has some pretty insanely powerful weapons and tools.

Some other good mods to try out would be Witchcraft and Thaumcraft. I don't know too much about them, but I do know that they take up a lot of time and my friends have said they're a lot of fun.