What the ultimate energy source in DW20 pack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
i sustain my entre base with 38 magmatic engines and 2 geothermal, but i think it can be the lag source of my base because i have a poor PC.
I dont have a big knowlodge about all mods of 1.5 DW20 pack, and i want minimize the powerplant area.

What can I do to have a high energy per area (automated)?

ToLazyToThink

Jul 29, 2019
What are you using to pump the lava? If it's not the extra utilities pump, try that.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what's best from a lag perspective, maybe squid power?

1arthurf

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend a Steve's carts tree farm producing wood being turned into charcoal by a induction smelter. The induction smelter would be supplied by pumping lava from the nether. The lava would go into 5 geothermals. That should power 1 induction (make sure the induction furnace has a red stone signal). After the wood is turned into charcoal it is then pumped into a boiler (supplied with water so it doesn't blow up) make sure to amass wood before you start this process because it takes about one barrel before the boiler becomes sustainable.
On the Steve carts tree farm there is some question on whether or not this farm is efficient what people don't normally know is you can add a shelters upgrade which makes it completely sustainable (though you will have to throw a diamond in to fix it once in a while and by that I mean every 4 hours)

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
how much energy can a boiler produce/world cubic meter and what type of energy?

Last edited:

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Dartcraft force engines...using squeezed force logs and water to power anything buildcraft related....? Will need some kind of farm to keep it going though. I tend to use a Forestry farm. Though I don't really know the best route.

1arthurf

Jul 29, 2019
Well you see the boiler produces steam which has to be hooked up to industrial steam engines which produce 72 mj/t from a single boiler. It can be compacted to 39 blocks each cubic meager makes 2 mj/t the whole thing thought the boiler on takes up 30 cubic meters which would be 2.4 mj/t.

ToLazyToThink

Jul 29, 2019
While boilers are a good source of power, I have a hard time believing they, and the infrastructure to feed them, would cause less lag than magmatic engines (although I haven't tested). TE is usually way better at lag than buildcraft.

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
Well you see the boiler produces steam which has to be hooked up to industrial steam engines which produce 72 mj/t from a single boiler. It can be compacted to 39 blocks each cubic meager makes 2 mj/t the whole thing thought the boiler on takes up 30 cubic meters which would be 2.4 mj/t.
magmatic engine = 1 cubic meter 4mj
If you want the least laggy power source go solar.
how transform EU to MJ?

Zaik

Jul 29, 2019
the ultimate issue with power systems and lag tends to be how many you have. The least laggy is likely going to be those 512 EU/t solar panels overall, since three or four of them should be able to run just about everything you could possibly put in an area, although converting to MJ would just cause the same issue. Seems like the biofuel stuff in minefactory runs at roughly 20 mj/t per block i think? and you can power a ton of them off of one extremely milked squid.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
the ultimate issue with power systems and lag tends to be how many you have. The least laggy is likely going to be those 512 EU/t solar panels overall, since three or four of them should be able to run just about everything you could possibly put in an area, although converting to MJ would just cause the same issue. Seems like the biofuel stuff in minefactory runs at roughly 20 mj/t per block i think? and you can power a ton of them off of one extremely milked squid.
They run at 16Mj/t

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the help.
I think the best way is divide and use 512 soalr panels and minefactory Biofuel Generators. Its cheap for a Old world

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
If you are using Forestry's Multifarm instead of MFR's Planter+Harvester, it should not be laggy at all.
A full 36 blocks (exclusing the firebox) high pressure steam boiler can provide up to 144 mj/t (18 Industrial Steam Engines).
Few ways of feeding it, my favourite is running two 9x9 MFR planter+harvester tree farm (oak if vanilla, sakura/magic tree if BoP), running the wood blocks through an induction furnace (while I was still playing with ic2) to turn them into charcoal before feeding them into the boiler. But not efficient, works though.

Another way is to just feed planks to it, seems like that is the most efficient way. Or maybe only if you're using a sawmill to yield 6 planks per wood block.

If you want to run on MFR's biofuel, you can maybe run multiple tree farms as well. Feed all those excess saplings to the bioreactor for biofuel, and the more kinds of saplings you feed it, the higher the efficiency rate is. The bioreactor also accept all sorts of plantable stuffs like seeds (all kinds), netherwarts, carrots and potatoes.

Or of course, more solar panels.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk