What should I use to power a Quarry?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

WaterTipper

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking of setting up my first Quarry, but at the same time I don't want to bankrupt myself of all my power while doing it.
What power source should I use for the Quarry? (No solar panels, way too expensive for me)

I'm using the Mindcrack pack.

Airbornehurdle

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of people say solar panels connected to electric engines but i use magmetic engines connected to a redstone conduct and the magmetic engines need lava so you need to go to nether make a pipe system there.

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
i use steam boiler hocked up to liquid tesseract. then liquid tesseract hooked up to the needed energy converts hooked right up to the quarry's

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
my bad missed the mindcrack part..depends on how easly you can make stuff

ender chest feeding and engine would probably work the easiest in regards to setting up and maintaining.

bigest problem is no one knows what you are able to make and how much you know about stuff

WaterTipper

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of people say solar panels connected to electric engines but i use magmetic engines connected to a redstone conduct and the magmetic engines need lava so you need to go to nether make a pipe system there.

my bad missed the mindcrack part..depends on how easly you can make stuff

ender chest feeding and engine would probably work the easiest in regards to setting up and maintaining.

bigest problem is no one knows what you are able to make and how much you know about stuff

I'll try both of them, thanks!

Naddox

Jul 29, 2019

Or just make a couple magma crucibles hooked up to an Ingneous Extruder(Maybe 2) that are always pumping out cobblestone to the magma crucibles. Infinite lava for your personal use.

ThePotentialHD

Jul 29, 2019
I use a Redstone Energy Cell to power my Quarry because it seems to make it run double to triple speed some times. I charge my Redstone Energy Cells with a line of electrical engines hooked up to a MFSU.

Lord Wumbo

Jul 29, 2019
Route coal from the quarry into stirling engines or steam engines. Steam engines have an aqua accumulator underneath for water.

This could work.

Reactions: warfighter67

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
Boiler with energy tesseract is a good way. If you don't want the 25% loss, you could use REC's and set up an engineering turtle at a recharging station and another one to place the cell, and pick it up when it's empty. Transport the cells. with an item tesserect, or the like. I don't mind the loss, and like the more compact systems with a tesserect.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
If i use a quarry I use biogas engines, usually 5-8 of them.

I put lava in cans to get them started and fill wax capsules or cans with biomass.
I prefer redstone energy conduits but BC pipes are cheaper and easier to make.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I generally charge redstone cells in my base and carry them wherever my quarry is. :p

If you don't use landmarks, placing down a quarry generates a standard 9x9 sized area. Two full redstone energy cells are enough to let a quarry of that size reach bedrock, if you're not too far above sea level. Then you just go there, move the quarry 9 blocks to the side, give it two fresh redstone cells and watch it dig another 9x9 section. Saves time setting it up, is easy on the server due to force-loading less chunks, doesn't take forever to dig down to worthwhile depths, and requires neither on-site engine infrastructure nor lossy tesseracts.

And while you're there to move the quarry after each run, you can go look over the quarry walls and cherry-pick out any revealed ores for a bonus.