What Should I build?

A

Ascend

Hello all,
I have played a SP FTB world for a little bit now, and I am running out of ideas for new projects.
I generally like technical projects, such as automating things that are hard to automate. Any suggestions are welcome. Here are some screenshots of my current world:

My world includes full ore processing, 4 maxed out laser drills (power capability of 8), decent auto-crafting setup, some machine auto-crafting, mob grinder (~2 kB essence per hour).
I also have enough resources for just about anything.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 2.47.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 2.47.43 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 2.44.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 2.44.40 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 2.45.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 2.45.51 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 2.42.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 2.42.45 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 60

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I always suggest actually building something. So far you only seem to have boxes on flattened disjointed terrain.

How about going out and finding a really cool piece of terrain that inspires you to build some kind of new base. Then DO NOT flatten it, build as the terrain allows(make terraces if you need small sections with flat ground).

Make small builds out each piece of tech/magic/whatever. Try and build a mining laser structure for your mining lasers. A turbine shaped shell for your turbines. A smithy for your smeltery. Only your imagination sets the limit.

If you have loads of materials, then don't be afraid to use them. Build with metal, quartz, diamond blocks etc. if those fit in.

The way I love to play is to craft/research/whatever some sort of machine/magical apparatus and then spend a good deal of time building the right settings for it. It GREATLY lengthens the lifetime of my worlds, I have fun building cool practical stuff(I am not so good at building just for the sake of building) and I have something cool looking afterwards ;)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
A neat tower is always a decent idea.
Whenever my cobble gen gets way out if hand I just turn hal of it in to smooth stone and glass and make a somewhat ornate tower.
If you can't do that then you may as well find another pack and start again or play another game.

@rhn I also find that you can't really build without flattening out land. When I try I usually just cheat and build a retaining wall or have the building intersect the lanscape essentially flattening it anyway.
I've never seen an example of peoples builds working with terrain. It always subverts it somehow.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
@rhn I also find that you can't really build without flattening out land. When I try I usually just cheat and build a retaining wall or have the building intersect the lanscape essentially flattening it anyway.
I've never seen an example of peoples builds working with terrain. It always subverts it somehow.
I never said that you cannot have a flat foundation for your individual buildings, farm plots or whatever if you need. I even suggested making terraces on the sloped terrain in case you need something to have a flat base. But there is a HUGE difference between doing that and simply flattening a 10x10 chunk piece of land...

Here is an example of a WiP castle I am working on:
TUjF8hr.png

Lots of different terraces of walls and buildings sloped up the mountain.
(it is not easy to see on this pic, but there is about 45 blocks difference in Y-level from the gatehouse and up to the top(not including towers)

Last edited:
Reactions: PierceSG

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I never said that you cannot have a flat foundation for your individual buildings, farm plots or whatever if you need. I even suggested making terraces on the sloped terrain in case you need something to have a flat base. But there is a HUGE difference between doing that and simply flattening a 10x10 chunk piece of land...
I guess I see what you mean.
It also tends to be less work to not mass terraform land for building. There's a reason we don't do it in real life too.
You are essentially suggesting to build naturally. If you find yourself moving mountains you are doing it the hard way.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: PierceSG

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I guess I see what you mean.
It also tends to be less work to not mass terraform land for building. There's a reason we don't do it in real life too.
You are essentially suggesting to build naturally. If you find yourself moving mountains you are doing it the hard way.
Exactly. If the place for a house slopes in RL, then we wont mass terraform the entire neighbourhood. We build a small wall to level the ground locally or extend the foundation of the house in one side.
By taking hints from how its done in real life, it also ends up looking more realistic in the end(added an example to previous post). It is also much more fun, challenging and rewarding to build in my experience. ;)

But some times you might end up moving mountains or even building them anyway. But it should be to improve the landscape or add landscape features to a near perfect area, not flatten it IMO ;)