What Pack would you recommend? Been away from the game for a while

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
As the title says its been a fairly long time since I've played any FtB or Minecraft in general. What pack would you recommend I play now there are so many to choose from?

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
As the title says its been a fairly long time since I've played any FtB or Minecraft in general. What pack would you recommend I play now there are so many to choose from?
First of all, what are your computer specs? We should have a bit of an insight about that before we recommend big packs such as infinity, etc.

Keldin42

Jul 29, 2019
I am having a blast playing Obscurity (3rd party pack, winner of the jampacked 2 contest).

jazzadellic

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fairly new to MC, but ftb infinity seems to have it all: tech, magic, tons of useful little mods for every thing you can imagine. I've probably put 50+ hours into my infinity game and barely scratched the surface of the content in that modpack. It has been getting progressively laggier though as my base has gotten bigger and my tech tree has gotten farther. The first modpack I played was actually direwolf20, which is also very jam packed with magic and tech like infinity, you can't go wrong either I think, but I think infinity is slightly more jam packed with stuff than DW20. I've been trying out various modpacks and each one has it's own unique flavor and challenge, so you may just want to try out several of them including some of the third party packs like Obscurity, Blast Off, etc...I find some of them like Obscurity to be just too difficult and unforgiving for me to enjoy them. For example Obscurity...you start with 5 lives but one single creature sneaking up behind you or one ranged enemy early in the game can cause you to chain die easily because you start with one interdiction torch, and if you die and drop it far from the spawn....it's basically game over. You absolutely need it, but you'll lose all your other lives trying to get it back. And I've had to restart it about 5 times and the last attempt lasted like 15 minutes and it was game over again...But if you like a challenge then yeah play Obscurity or Agrarian Skies or Blast Off. Ftb Departed is also quite challenging in the early game. If your a big Lord of the Rings geek, try Tolkiencraft.

thegreatpl

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on your specs and what you are looking to get out of a pack.

For instance, Infinity IIRC is a pretty good all round pack, with the old staples of Buildcraft, Industrial Craft, Thermal Expansion, Thaumcraft ect. Of course, it is quite intensive on your machine if you don't have a good computer.

I personally am currently playing a slightly modified Horizons:Daybreak. Which is great if you want something different since it only has the less well used or unknown mods in it. I actually sort of regret modding in Computercraft (I like the turtles) for early game automated mining. I learned not long afterwards that one of the mods in the pack actually has the cheapest automation I've ever seen, while still being balanced. (It starts off with one block, uses a tool and takes durability from it, and while it can be upgraded to have a larger area, it is expensive). It is, however, relatively new and there is an update in the works which will add Galacticraft oil back into the world as it had to be disabled because it turned to items or something, lagging out worlds. The latest (non-recommended) update is missing a few mods from previous versions by accident as well. Which is certainly making upgrading a pain, which is what I'm attempting to do currently. The main mods of this pack seem to be Mekanism and Galacticraft.