What order of operations (BEDMAS) do you FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
It is an interesting topic, and I feel that a thread dedicated to allowing players to describe their builds, would be useful for noobies.

It it quite redundant, the "so where/what/who/why/when/how should I do things" question comes up all too often. Most of these are regarding starting out.

I will post this here, and develop a format once I've put out my general strategy. Feel free to submit your own format/strategy(s). Perhaps we can build something awesome.

Format (WorkInProgress):

YourNameHereBuild - ModPack (v x.x.x) - SSP/SMP
  • Modpack changes (i.e. what you've taken out)

EXAMPLE

Namiasdf's Engineering Guide to Sustainability - Unleashed (Latest Version) - SSP
  • Removed Dartcraft cause I don't like it
Early Game:
Goal - Build a quarry + initial energy source to run quarry.
  • Set up manual wheat/cactus/reed farm
  • Build simple base, enough floor space to contain early game ore processing
  • Go for a cave trip
  • Build TiCo pick to get cobalt/ardite
  • Take a trip to the nether, get warts, some rack/brick, attempt to get rods, get ardite/cobalt for pick
  • If I get lucky, get ball of moss from dungeon
  • Continue to rotation of cave trips, processing ores, manual farms, etc. until quarry built
  • Dig out a nice hole, while this is happening, go do more resource collection
  • All while this is happening, produce steel and build up a stockpile
  • Build nano armour set
  • i.e. Get a compressor and macerator, so you can build carbon plates
  • Coal will supply enough EU to keep it going for a long time
  • Using the experience you get, enchant nano armour set (books only)

Mid Game:
Goal - Set up AE network, get tesseract'd energy to quarry somewhere over water (for lots of free obsidian)
  • Build energy/item tesseract for quarry over water
  • Establish 3x3 MFR tree farm, let it grow on its own, build up saplings.
  • Scale that into at least 50 square blockage of farm area
  • Build a boiler that is sustainable, HP preferred, as to not waste materials building subpar boiler
  • Slowly build up redstone energy cell collection, as to build a good battery of MJ. These you can pick up and move around for convenience
  • Once energy production is stable, build a small AE network.
  • Set up quarry over water, feed those items into AE network
From here you should be set. You have a quarry getting you stuff, a stable energy supply, sustained off of a NATURALLY growing tree farm.

You can continue to scale up that tree growing, as to produce more fuel, and thus increase your energy supply. Consider building MFR laser drills to dump that energy somewhere.

After this, it's really up to you what you want to do.

Benchmarking (By this point you should have):
  • At least 1 36HP boiler
  • A small AE network, because inventory management takes too much time to do otherwise (waste of time, also AE autocrafting/porting is real useful)
  • A 1337 set of TiCo tools, such that you don't have to waste diamonds or any materials from then on, on tools.
  • A 1337 enchanted nano armour set, which can be auto refilled using coal, which should be abundant cause you're not using solid fuel
  • Unlimited resource income
And you can now see how you can really do w/e at this point.

Last edited:

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Most people lack focus and ask things like "what mod should I use". These are the mods I use to achieve ultimate sustainability, and how I go about doing it. =)

Reactions: RealSketch

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Em, I don't really see the point in this type of guide. People will play however they want to play. A guide explaining how to use the specific mods and how they interact would serve a much better purpose ;)

If that isn't what you meant by this thread, please do correct me.
I kinda questioned why at first, but he's right. I've played with too many people on smp that couldn't support themselves ingame, even if it meant they would starve irl at the same time as ingame.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
My order:
Start out with trees
Fund a nice cave or mountaint for a house
Mine for diamknds and redstone
Build thaumcraft basics (may come before or after mining)
More mining!
Even mkre mining!
Go for TiC Fullmetal iron pick
Upgrade with diamond, emerald, and redstone
Build tool forge
More mining if I need iron or gold
Make a hammer with similar upgrades.
Hammer mining
Thermal expansion dynamis and pulverizer
Turtle or quarry
Upgrade storage to barrels and gem or metal chests
Tons and tons of thaumcraft research
Upgrade ore processing and/or make automated treefarm for dynamos.
More TC4.1 research (scan TE and MFR stuff)
Infusion Altar
More TE, maybe some IC2
After getting sustainable power and a Redstone Energy Cell or MFE go for AE
Infusion altar
More scanning and research
Arcane Bore

Reactions: BreezyTaco

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Is it just me or are your posts getting more and more typo filled, @ThatOneSlowking ?
My order:
Start out with trees
Fund a nice cave or mountaint for a house
Mine for diamknds and redstone
Build thaumcraft basics (may come before or after mining)
More mining!
Even mkre mining!
Go for TiC Fullmetal iron pick
Upgrade with diamond, emerald, and redstone
Build tool forge
More mining if I need iron or gold
Make a hammer with similar upgrades.
Hammer mining
Thermal expansion dynamis and pulverizer
Turtle or quarry
Upgrade storage to barrels and gem or metal chests
Tons and tons of thaumcraft research
Upgrade ore processing and/or make automated treefarm for dynamos.
More TC4.1 research (scan TE and MFR stuff)
Infusion Altar
More TE, maybe some IC2
After getting sustainable power and a Redstone Energy Cell or MFE go for AE
Infusion altar
More scanning and research
Arcane Bore

Anyway, assuming I'm using Monster...

Pregame: Add Witchery and DartCraft, because @slowpoke is silly for not wanting those in his next map, if he's gonna release one before we all go to 1.7 these days.
Mission... START!
Punch Trees, Get Wood.
Make hovel of shame, ideally out of Natura Redwood because reasons.
Dig/cut/mine into the earth from inside the hovel.
Get some iron, and some force gems.
Smelt iron into dart iron, then make force ingots.
Make Force Rod, and make Force Saplings.
Grow dem saplings.
Make new force rod with one of the logs, and make some golden power source with some of them, so I can have force torches ASAP.
Make a 2x2 vat with Mariculture and make some obsidian with it, because reasons.
Nether portal, Ho!
...also the framework for a enchanting table if I can afford it.
Forget what I was doing.
Look for village.
Can't find one.
Forever Alone.Jpeg
Decide to make my own village. With Blackjack, and Hookers.
Get into Witchery super quick.
Oh shit, right, uh, spruce saplings....
Go back to DartCraft and make a Force Mitt.
Find a place with spruce trees.
Whack those leaves with the mitt.
OhYeah.amv
Make some mutandis.(sic)
Make those Witchery Trees.
Make a Altar, kettle, and distillery.
Make a few(dozen) Brew of Love(s).
Find some zombies.
Make them into zombie villagers.
Cure them via ritual because ew, zombies.
Forgot to make them houses, night falls, they're all zombies again.
Day Breaks, they're all dead because sunlight.
Build Huts for them.
Start village again.
GoodJob.gif
Forget what I was doing.
Do the Bee Keeping Thing.
Breed ALL the bees!
Realize I still need the Jaded Bee.
WellShit.ISO
Contrived Bullshit to obtain Jaded Bee, GO!
Four minutes later.
????
PROFIT!
URL Unrelated.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I like engineers. Here's a funny joke I read last week about them:

An engineer dies and is met at the Pearly Gates by St Peter. St Peter asks the engineer his name as he searches for it in the big Book of Life.

St Peter looks up and states, “There’s been a mistake, you’re not due here for another 50 years!” The engineer is distraught and asks what can be done.

St Peter replies, “No problem, this happens more often than you think. Follow me.”

So they walk through the gates and to a room with several bins in it. This is the body parts room. St Peter takes the engineer to the legs bins and states, “We have all kinds of legs to choose from, but relative to all the good you have done in life so far, you only get $500 worth to play with.”

The engineer sees this as the usual ‘get the most for the least’ cost exercise so decides to pick carefully and asks, “how much are super strong legs?”

“$10 each” replies St Peter. The engineer is overjoyed and takes two. The next bins are arms, and the engineer buys two super strong arms for $5 each. This is looking good and the engineer is building a great body and dreaming about all the fun he will have when he gets back to Earth.

They finally reach the brain bins. The engineer asks “How much are engineers’ brains?” “$5,000 an ounce,” replies St Peter.

“$5,000 an ounce!” exclaims the engineer. “Why so much?” St Peter replies, “Do you know how many engineers it takes to get an ounce of brains?”

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Is it just me or are your posts getting more and more typo filled, @ThatOneSlowking ?
Anyway, assuming I'm using Monster...

Pregame: Add Witchery and DartCraft, because @slowpoke is silly for not wanting those in his next map, if he's gonna release one before we all go to 1.7 these days.
Mission... START!
Punch Trees, Get Wood.
Make hovel of shame, ideally out of Natura Redwood because reasons.
Dig/cut/mine into the earth from inside the hovel.
Get some iron, and some force gems.
Smelt iron into dart iron, then make force ingots.
Make Force Rod, and make Force Saplings.
Grow dem saplings.
Make new force rod with one of the logs, and make some golden power source with some of them, so I can have force torches ASAP.
Make a 2x2 vat with Mariculture and make some obsidian with it, because reasons.
Nether portal, Ho!
...also the framework for a enchanting table if I can afford it.
Forget what I was doing.
Look for village.
Can't find one.
Forever Alone.Jpeg
Decide to make my own village. With Blackjack, and Hookers.
Get into Witchery super quick.
Oh shit, right, uh, spruce saplings....
Go back to DartCraft and make a Force Mitt.
Find a place with spruce trees.
Whack those leaves with the mitt.
OhYeah.amv
Make some mutandis.(sic)
Make those Witchery Trees.
Make a Altar, kettle, and distillery.
Make a few(dozen) Brew of Love(s).
Find some zombies.
Make them into zombie villagers.
Cure them via ritual because ew, zombies.
Forgot to make them houses, night falls, they're all zombies again.
Day Breaks, they're all dead because sunlight.
Build Huts for them.
Start village again.
GoodJob.gif
Forget what I was doing.
Do the Bee Keeping Thing.
Breed ALL the bees!
Realize I still need the Jaded Bee.
WellShit.ISO
Contrived Bullshit to obtain Jaded Bee, GO!
Four minutes later.
????
PROFIT!
URL Unrelated.
Because im posting more and more when distracted/tireds
Hey, I like engineers. Here's a funny joke I read last week about them:

An engineer dies and is met at the Pearly Gates by St Peter. St Peter asks the engineer his name as he searches for it in the big Book of Life.

St Peter looks up and states, “There’s been a mistake, you’re not due here for another 50 years!” The engineer is distraught and asks what can be done.

St Peter replies, “No problem, this happens more often than you think. Follow me.”

So they walk through the gates and to a room with several bins in it. This is the body parts room. St Peter takes the engineer to the legs bins and states, “We have all kinds of legs to choose from, but relative to all the good you have done in life so far, you only get $500 worth to play with.”

The engineer sees this as the usual ‘get the most for the least’ cost exercise so decides to pick carefully and asks, “how much are super strong legs?”

“$10 each” replies St Peter. The engineer is overjoyed and takes two. The next bins are arms, and the engineer buys two super strong arms for $5 each. This is looking good and the engineer is building a great body and dreaming about all the fun he will have when he gets back to Earth.

They finally reach the brain bins. The engineer asks “How much are engineers’ brains?” “$5,000 an ounce,” replies St Peter.

“$5,000 an ounce!” exclaims the engineer. “Why so much?” St Peter replies, “Do you know how many engineers it takes to get an ounce of brains?”
I have an engineer joke
image.jpg

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
  • Day 1: 4 cube high little platform with a bed, chests, crafting table and furnace. In a magic forest you can only climb on scaffodling. Who need walls ?
  • Day 2: Mine in nearby caves, get iron pick, iron shovel, protable tank, bucket, wrench, torches, some extra wood and some food
  • Day 3: Dig straight in deep of the world, find a lava lake, fill your portable tank. Gather sand and clay if spare time.
  • Day 4: Build a TiCo smeltery. Automate it with fluid and itemduct. Doubling the ore the quick way...
  • Day 5: Mine iron.
  • Day 6: Build a tool forge, use a stone lumber axe to get all the wood you need.
  • Day 7: Build a steel hammer.
  • Day 8 : Strip mine in deep of earth with it. Gather those 11 diamonds in one go.
  • Day 9 : Build a quarry, power it with heated restone generator. Spend the remaining of the day to figure out how to use your makeshift sorting system made out of a dozen of item duct, chest and barrels to store all that..
  • Day 10: igneous extruder, aqueous accumulator,pump (ic2), drum, fluiduct, lever, conduits... go get lava and obsidian in your lava lake again.
  • Day 11: Go to neither, gather quartz.
  • Day 12: Build your AE network
  • Day 13: <- I'm here...

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
  • Day 1: 4 cube high little platform with a bed, chests, crafting table and furnace. In a magic forest you can only climb on scaffodling. Who need walls ?
  • Day 2: Mine in nearby caves, get iron pick, iron shovel, protable tank, bucket, wrench, torches, some extra wood and some food
  • Day 3: Dig straight in deep of the world, find a lava lake, fill your portable tank. Gather sand and clay if spare time.
  • Day 4: Build a TiCo smeltery. Automate it with fluid and itemduct. Doubling the ore the quick way...
  • Day 5: Mine iron.
  • Day 6: Build a tool forge, use a stone lumber axe to get all the wood you need.
  • Day 7: Build a steel hammer.
  • Day 8 : Strip mine in deep of earth with it. Gather those 11 diamonds in one go.
  • Day 9 : Build a quarry, power it with heated restone generator. Spend the remaining of the day to figure out how to use your makeshift sorting system made out of a dozen of item duct, chest and barrels to store all that..
  • Day 10: igneous extruder, aqueous accumulator,pump (ic2), drum, fluiduct, lever, conduits... go get lava and obsidian in your lava lake again.
  • Day 11: Go to neither, gather quartz.
  • Day 12: Build your AE network
  • Day 13: <- I'm here...
Day 7 seems... Off. How did you make the steel for said hammer, hm?

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
Trough a rotary craft blast furnace. The rarest ressource you need is 1 or 2 gun powder but you should have met creeper on that point so you likely have that. You could also make an induction furnace and convert iron and charcoal into steal, but you'd lose one more day to install the TE system for that. If you wait after that mining session with the hammer to install TE, it's much more fast because you have way more ressource to build it in mass.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
B: Build House
E: Explode via Creeper
D: Dig New Area for Home
M: Mine Resources
A: Automate Everything
S: Self-destruct world.

This, this is fabulous and conducive to good-community-building. ;D. Just a hint for some people who aren't as good at these types of things.