What mods should I try/add to my modpack?

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
So currently I have a pretty tried and tested set of mods I use, but I find I've used them all quite a bit, and so it's nothing new for me, and I want to try out some new mods. Any suggestions?
Also this is merely content mods, things like Fastcraft I didn't take the time to mention as they don't actually add to the pack.
- My current mods I use for my personal pack-
AgriCraft
AOBD
B0bGary's Growable Ores
Baubles(obviously in the pack)
BloodMagic
Botania
Chisel
DimensionalPockets
EnderIo
EnderStorage
EnderZoo
ExtraUtilties
RFtools
Ganys end+nether+surface
Growthcraft(most modules)
HardCore Ender Expansion
Iron Backpacks
Mariculture
Mekanism
Minefactory
Modular Systems
MoreEnchantments
Nether Ores
Scientific Alchemy
Tinkers Construct
Thermal Expansion

I also plan to add things like MagiTek once they are less Beta-y

Last edited:

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft. Applied Energistics? Egads you dont even have buildcraft or railcraft.
I haven't played Thaumcraft for the sole fact that while its content is cool, the research has always turned me off a bit, so unless it's less google intensive I'll probably hold off. I was tempted to play Applied Energistics but I'm not sure what it's like now days, and finally Buildcraft I don't use because other mods generally do it better, but Railcraft I never considered.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Thaumcraft's research is actually pretty straightforward once you've got the hang of it.

Though after a few play through, it might get tedious. You could always set the research to easy mode, so instead of researching, you just need to pay for it. (It is also considerably more expensive than if you just research it.)

You should only need to Google on how some things work, and no on the research.

There are still some stuffs other mods aren't covering for in BuildCraft like, the Builder and the Filler is one of them.

In the latest release, there are mentions about robots but I've not yet venture into BC on my SSP play through yet.

Chickenbones' Translocator! It is a small mod but one I like a lot.

Applied Energistics 2. It is simple enough to use if you're only using it as a mass storage device. You can always study it more if you want it to do more stuffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattp_12

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't look like your pack has much in the way of exploration. So how about The Erebus or Twilight Forest? Other mods I would recommend are Flaxbeard's Steam Power and Witchery.

Also I would second that recommendation of Thaumcraft. The research system, while it can become tedious, is not that hard to learn.
Well it seems like a resounding "Yes" for Thaumcraft. I guess I'll give it a chance again, I have been quite intrigued by some of the features. For exploration mods I've definitely been thinking about Twilight Forest again, but I want to see what other options exist too, because I've played Twilight Forest packs so not much of it is very "fresh" for me. Flaxbeard I enjoy, I just found I didn't get round to it much.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I always turn research off in the config. I never liked it, I just want to make the damn stuff, not jump through hoops lol. And Railcraft has lots of good looking building blocks, and carts are cool.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
If you want exploration and dimensions then I can recommend RFTools to you. It is in some ways similar to Mystcraft but instead of instability as a balancing factor you have to give RF power to your dimensions. In addition RFTools also has some other features like teleportation system, auto crafter, shield system and a modular screen system.

My opinion on RFTools can be considered slightly biased as I'm the author of that mod :)

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
If you want exploration and dimensions then I can recommend RFTools to you. It is in some ways similar to Mystcraft but instead of instability as a balancing factor you have to give RF power to your dimensions. In addition RFTools also has some other features like teleportation system, auto crafter, shield system and a modular screen system.

My opinion on RFTools can be considered slightly biased as I'm the author of that mod :)
I've noticed it a few times but I never took the time to see if it was just a rehash of every powered armor mod ever :confused: But I'll definatly check it out.

EDIT: Checked it out. Instantly added. I definitely like the look of it.

Last edited:

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I personally love AE2. It looks better visually and channels arent such a big deal. Making processors kind of sucks though.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Add:
Witchery
Void Monster
Fastcraft
Magical Crops - I'd replace Bob Gary's with this.
Steves Factory Manager
Pneumaticraft
Applied Energistics 2
Carpenters Blocks
Chisel 2
Primitive Mobs
Reliquary
Open Blocks
Compact Machines
Flax Beard's Steam Power - Fun mixed with Railcraft.
Railcraft
Project Red
Random Things - A fun mod akin to Extra Utils, It also adds Blood Moons which are hella fun.
Rougelike Dungeons - Adds some nice loot and mixed with Infernal Mobs and Primitive Mobs the Dungeons aren't super easy as they normally are. I'd raise its spawn to 40 from 20 since it generates too often.
Infernal Mobs - Adds some nice random boss battles, can make some scary situations.
GeoStrata
Chromaticraft - Not a finished mod but a very fun mod, you just have to sorta... learn it.
Hardcore Darkness - Makes night truly fearsome and mining frightening. I never play without it after playing with it for the first time.
Lava Monsters - Makes caving and the nether more dangerous.
Nether Ores - Gives the nether more meaning to go to, mix this with lava monsters and these ores aren't easy.
Twilight Forest
Funky Locomotion
Expanded Redstone
Sound Filters
Mutant Creatures - Adds some nice random boss battles, can make some scary situations.
Simply Jetpacks
Minechem 5 - I'd replace Scientific Alchemy with this however this is purely my opinion. It's a more realistic approach with generally all of the options you had before.
Rotarycraft

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
Add:
Witchery
Void Monster
Fastcraft
Magical Crops - I'd replace Bob Gary's with this.
Steves Factory Manager
Pneumaticraft
Applied Energistics 2
Carpenters Blocks
Chisel 2
Primitive Mobs
Reliquary
Open Blocks
Compact Machines
Flax Beard's Steam Power - Fun mixed with Railcraft.
Railcraft
Project Red
Random Things - A fun mod akin to Extra Utils, It also adds Blood Moons which are hella fun.
Rougelike Dungeons - Adds some nice loot and mixed with Infernal Mobs and Primitive Mobs the Dungeons aren't super easy as they normally are. I'd raise its spawn to 40 from 20 since it generates too often.
Infernal Mobs - Adds some nice random boss battles, can make some scary situations.
GeoStrata
Chromaticraft - Not a finished mod but a very fun mod, you just have to sorta... learn it.
Hardcore Darkness - Makes night truly fearsome and mining frightening. I never play without it after playing with it for the first time.
Lava Monsters - Makes caving and the nether more dangerous.
Nether Ores - Gives the nether more meaning to go to, mix this with lava monsters and these ores aren't easy.
Twilight Forest
Funky Locomotion
Expanded Redstone
Sound Filters
Mutant Creatures - Adds some nice random boss battles, can make some scary situations.
Simply Jetpacks
Minechem 5 - I'd replace Scientific Alchemy with this however this is purely my opinion. It's a more realistic approach with generally all of the options you had before.
Rotarycraft
I already have a few of those, and some I've tried and didn't like, but things like Rotarycraft, Railcraft, Reliquary and Random things are ones I'm eyeing now.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Put in what you want to put in. Personally, I just avoid Railcraft these days, there's just nothing relevant out of that mod anymore. Which is a crying shame, actually, but there ya go. Buildcraft... eh, why? Haven't used Forestry since... umm... I think it was 1.4.2. Maybe as far back as 1.3.

Personally, I have really enjoyed using Thermal Foundation and CoFH Core for my worldgen configurations, then TE, EnderIO, and Mekanism for my primary tech mods. AE2 and JABBA for storage, MFR for automated renewable resources, Big Reactors to power it all, TiCo/TinkMek/TinkSteelworks for getting your midevil on, and Chisel + Carpenter's Blocks for decoration. Dust liberally with Thaumcraft plus a few of the addons, Blood Magic, and Botania for magic. And that's pretty much it.

Not a fan of Magical Crops, because it takes you to the post-resource-scarcity point way too fast, in my opinion. MFR Laser for obtaining resources for energy expenditure. Since it's gated pretty heavily for needing a Big Reactor to get up and running, and pretty much requiring a dedicated Reactor to run it on, it at least makes it interesting and challenging to get to.

Another good combo to throw in is Pam's Harvestcraft along with Hunger Overhaul. Makes food a non-trivial thing, at least in the early game. Also makes food a bit more interesting rather than 'oh, just cook up a stack of potatoes and I'm good'. Toss in Spice Of Life if you really want to make food a challenge.

Reactions: PierceSG

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with Shneekey for most of the points but I would say RailCraft, BuildCraft and it's addons are still worthwhile for players who wants to do it.

RailCraft provides you alternative way to handle logistical transportation for people who dislike "magic block" methods of teleportation. Steam boilers instead of BR because BR is "cheaty", or they like watch the world burn. Burning charcoal for power.

BuildCraft has a few blocks that I like for convenience's sake. E.g. Builder and Filler.
It's pipes are also great for people who just wants to see items zipping around. The pipe system is still fun to toy with even if there are mods that are much more efficient than it is.

Forestry for the trees and the bees for renewable resources. It isn't something I like but if it is a kitchen sink pack, it is good to have forestry as it gives the players more options. Trees breeding to get the best kind of tree for wood, for biomass or even fruits if I am not mistaken. Bees for renewable resources that takes time, effort and patience to obtain.It also works well with the two mods mentioned above.

Magical Crops is too easy on default settings. Early game might have to trying to get the essence dust. But once you have a steady farm of it going, no other resources will be an issue. So I would actually advise you to configure it so that the crops only drops 1 seed instead of a chance for more. So players would have to craft more seeds in order to expand their farm. Still easier than bees but not passively easy after that change.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I already have a few of those, and some I've tried and didn't like, but things like Rotarycraft, Railcraft, Reliquary and Random things are ones I'm eyeing now.

Umm as much as I like RoC if you find Thaumcraft too "Google intensive" RoC will blister your brain hardcore. I actually had to make a few spreadsheets for RoC... Yeah I know.
Everything is so iron intensive that it makes trial and error type play during a playthrough not ideal. So I made a spreadsheet that calculated whether an engine met the requirements of a machine, in this case it was an extractor also the spreadsheet took account gearing ratios from 1:2 up to 1:16, even had a separate tab for CVT gearing.
That being said, if you do your home work RoC is actually not that expensive, it's just building an engine and realizing it wont work for the machine you need is painful.
Also having Blood Magic and excluding Thaumcraft becasue it's too "Google Intensive" makes me lol, Blood Magic as much as I like it, it annoys me to no end that I need to tab out to look up how to build each tier of Altar. WayOfTime needs to make an altar diviner or make some documentation or at least a schematic for just the altars.