What mod(s) to use for a simple sorting system

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

earthmage7

Jul 29, 2019
I want to setup a simple sorting system inside my house so then I can just place all of my items somewhere and they would get sorted into correct barrels. I am playing on the mindcrack pack on a server. I know a little bit about routers and a little bit about red power. I just want to know what should I do to setup a simple sorting system that would have barrels with certain items and the rest of the items go to chests

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Routers is what you need to know. Except they require mob drops (mods love to kick the technical, peaceful mode players in the @!$#) so you might want an AE system. A lot more expensive, but it can be done without the broken combat system and a lot more storage.

earthmage7

Jul 29, 2019
Resources are not a problem. My server has a tier five spawner for almost every mob needed. I would like it if anyone has a video link or some tutorial on how to make a barrel sorting system

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
well, the simplest barrel sorting system would consist of a series of barrels with rp tubes along the top. since barrels are only supposed to accept input from the top, it doesn't really matter how you have the barrels laid out as long as you prefill the barrels with at least 1 item manually. at the far end of the barrels, place a restriction tube, then several overflow chests for all the stuff that doesn't fit nicely into barrels (like items with damage bars and non-stackable items). For the input, you can use a chest with a transposer or filter connected to a timer.

This would be the absolute simplest barrel sorting system. (I am defining simplest as the earliest tech tree rather than less complex construction)

Reactions: Saice

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
well, the simplest barrel sorting system would consist of a series of barrels with rp tubes along the top. since barrels are only supposed to accept input from the top, it doesn't really matter how you have the barrels laid out as long as you prefill the barrels with at least 1 item manually. at the far end of the barrels, place a restriction tube, then several overflow chests for all the stuff that doesn't fit nicely into barrels (like items with damage bars and non-stackable items). For the input, you can use a chest with a transposer or filter connected to a timer.

This would be the absolute simplest barrel sorting system. (I am defining simplest as the earliest tech tree rather than less complex construction)

This is indeed the most simple you can get. You could also use BC piping but it does have a weakness of overflow and the possibility of skipping a barrel when your input rate is high.

If you go the BC route (I suggest the RP to be honest) you would use a chest any engine (redstone will work) then just run your piping over your pre-filled barrels and either loop it around (so items get multiple passes), have it go to an overflow chest, or route your pipes back to the input chest.