What mod do you use for early game ore processing?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KnightOwl

Jul 29, 2019
Did the grind stone this time, then the TiC smeltery once I had the mats. I think next time I'm just going to skip the grindstone all together and go straight for the smelter. What little bit of doubling i'll lose in the first less than 45-50 blocks of iron isn't going to bother me once I've got several thousand in an AE system. Especially once you get a hammer, iron is everywhere.

The grind stone is so not worth it.. it takes precious quartz and you stop using it pretty quickly I find..

Reactions: Zexks

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
The grind stone is so not worth it.. it takes precious quartz and you stop using it pretty quickly I find..
It takes three Quartz Dust. Not exactly expensive. And I use it quite a lot, actually.
I don't see the Smeltery as a very early game ore processing system... but then again, I'm kinda always near the start of a map, so anything using somewhat hard to gather resources is a bit beyond my grasp. Ideally I'd learn how to use Mekinsim to do my ore processing... But then again, the full chain requires diamonds. By the time I've got some diamonds, I'm about ready to get started on my work in the Nether, which is basically Vanilla mid-game. Going to the end is my take on "starting late game stuff", really, because of how much stuff one needs from the end to get started on the most powerful parts of mods. Again, though, I'm basically always early game.

EDIT: Might I remind you that quartz dust drops occasionally from Certrus Quartz ore blocks? And both it and the crystals are affected by fortune?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
EDIT: Might I remind you that quartz dust drops occasionally from Certrus Quartz ore blocks? And both it and the crystals are affected by fortune?
Of course it drops from CQ ore. How else would you make a grindstone if it didn't? Make a macerator first? And, fortune enchant isn't exactly early game so it isn't going to help you get those three dust for the grindstone. I fail to see what the point of this "reminder" is.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Of course it drops from CQ ore. How else would you make a grindstone if it didn't? Make a macerator first? And, fortune enchant isn't exactly early game so it isn't going to help you get those three dust for the grindstone. I fail to see what the point of this "reminder" is.
What I meant is the three dusts is hardly a dent in one's pocket. The rest of it's basically moot.
Seriously, if three Quartz dust is hurting that bad, make it out of Nether Quartz Dust. Technically cheaper.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
What I meant is the three dusts is hardly a dent in one's pocket. The rest of it's basically moot.
Seriously, if three Quartz dust is hurting that bad, make it out of Nether Quartz Dust. Technically cheaper.
Nether Quartz? The first time I go to the Nether, it's to get some glowstone for my jetpack. By that point I'm not interested in a manual grinder! When I first played a world with AE at the start (as against my "main" 1.4.7 world that started out before the mod existed), I already had well over a stack of each of iron, copper, and tin before I found a third piece of quartz dust. This may be statistically unusual.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Nether Quartz? The first time I go to the Nether, it's to get some glowstone for my jetpack. By that point I'm not interested in a manual grinder! When I first played a world with AE at the start (as against my "main" 1.4.7 world that started out before the mod existed), I already had well over a stack of each of iron, copper, and tin before I found a third piece of quartz dust. This may be statistically unusual.
Seriously? I have my third chunk of dust before I've mined even half a stack of iron. It seems to take me on average 5 ore to get it all.

And yes, the nether is not as "early game" as a stone pick. That being said, really, all you need to reach the nether is the ability to mine iron, a bit of know-how, and patience. A quick jaunt isn't that risky usually. Unless you have more badass things spawning in the nether(which I do, incidentally. Not as fun). Though you can't get Nether Quartz Dust without a way to break down ores(aka ore doubling of some kind), it is still cheaper.

*sigh* My point was that 3 Cetrus Quartz dust isn't expensive. It's as hard to get as a few stacks of dirt, if that.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously? I have my third chunk of dust before I've mined even half a stack of iron. It seems to take me on average 5 ore to get it all.

And yes, the nether is not as "early game" as a stone pick. That being said, really, all you need to reach the nether is the ability to mine iron, a bit of know-how, and patience. A quick jaunt isn't that risky usually. Unless you have more badass things spawning in the nether(which I do, incidentally. Not as fun). Though you can't get Nether Quartz Dust without a way to break down ores(aka ore doubling of some kind), it is still cheaper.

*sigh* My point was that 3 Cetrus Quartz dust isn't expensive. It's as hard to get as a few stacks of dirt, if that.

I think his point is that a pulverizer and engine with fuel aren't expensive enough to warrant spending time and resources on the grindstone. It would only make sense for someone who doesn't cave down to y=16 early and instead goes for cave completionism starting up high.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on what I have.

For smashing:
If I don't have Mekanism I use the Macerator until I can get an Industrial Grinder.
If I do have Mekanism I'll make an Elite/Ultimate (I can't remember which is top tier) Enriching Factory.

And for smelting it really depends on what I feel like doing. My last 1.4 world I used like 14 Blulectric Furnaces just because I felt like it.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I think his point is that a pulverizer and engine with fuel aren't expensive enough to warrant spending time and resources on the grindstone. It would only make sense for someone who doesn't cave down to y=16 early and instead goes for cave completionism starting up high.
I rarely find good caves anymore. A cave that reaches y=16 is a amazing find for me. That being said, I don't dig too deep at first anyway.

And it's cheap. Works in 1.6.X to boot.

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
I use the AE grinder and wood for my very first, Then i move up to Clockwork engines and TE Pulv/furnace combo. It's not really any one mod though.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
I would vote for the TiC smeltery, but be careful, you might get a bit crazy and start doing all your ore processing with these things (like I did)._.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
I would vote for the TiC smeltery, but be careful, you might get a bit crazy and start doing all your ore processing with these things (like I did)._.
I did that once for a world... Used redstone and such to automate the smelteries and bar making, Sucking it all into an AE system.... I think i'm going to do this again.. That was fun to set up if nothing else.

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019

I don't think it's the expense that is the problem, it's the time you spend there right clicking the crank that is. When you could automate that with a turtle, it wasn't that bad, but the time you spend there holding the right click button, is time I am now spend gathering gravel, sand and clay for the smeltery. I'll admit if you start off to far from the ocean getting clay could be an issue, but I generally get enough gravel building my starter mine shaft to 11, and sand is pretty easy to find around all the ponds that dot the landscape. If you could 'wind up' the crank like you can the clockwork engine, I'd reconsider it, but having to manually do it, puts it below a smeltery for me.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019

Technically not cheaper. You need some sort of macerating to make the nether quartz dust.