What makes a good multiblock?

QuantumZari

Jul 29, 2019
Something I've been pondering for a while is that everyone seems to like multiblock machines but what exactly is it we like about them?

A few possible answers I've come up with so far:
  • Larger size than a single block makes them more impressive.
  • Use of multiple blocks allows for more variety in shape beyond a simple cube.
  • Some multiblocks can be configured by switching out parts.
  • Can be more expensive than a single block without needing complex recipes.
  • Scalability by selecting the size or shape.
So I'm curious, what do you like or dislike about multiblocks?

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
The expense scales up in a way that makes more sense than many recipes for expensive individual blocks. Take Railcraft tanks over ExU barrels as an example. Railcraft uses multiblocks in a way that makes you really appreciate the effort that went into making them. I as a player enjoy doing things in the world, and multiblocks help with this. You also begin to value space more which inherently increases the satisfaction and reward sense after completing a build. Plus they are just cool.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
I'm probably the odd man out here, but I don't particularly like multiblocks. Or rather, I don't like many of the multiblock structures.

I like blocks that requires multiple blocks to be used effectively (BC engines, for instance), but not so much the "you must place these blocks in this configuration" style multiblock structures. For instance, most of the Railcraft multiblocks.

I would much prefer an input block and a drain block to Railcraft style tanks, for instance. Especially if the input block made a compressed fluid of some sort that flowed downhill (say, 16 buckets to a block? Or varying depending on power input? I know many things are effectively incompressible, but then again, it's MC.), and the output block converted it back into normal fluid. Or maybe something that scanned trying to find a series of connected blocks, and if it found it storing the liquid inside, but if the walls are made of something too weak randomly dropping the blocks, and if there's a hole in the tank exploding and spewing the liquid everywhere. Well, depending on input pressure.

Especially not when the blocks have literally no other purpose but for that specific multiblock. Same sort of annoyance as when you have items that are useless on their own and are only used in one recipe.

I like things that are thought-provoking and complex in implementation over fixed resource / time / space costs. Many of the multiblock structures to me seem to be mod authors seeing the more complex almost-emergent behavior that you get with some mods, and trying to mimic it by making a magic block more complex and larger, but missing the thought-provoking portion. Replacing one small magic block with one large magic block. Doesn't improve things (much).

Reactions: Nadia

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
I like them when used cleverly, multiblock for the sake of multiblock is pointless.

I like it when a multiblock is more modular like how BigReactors and Advanced generators do. Where each constituent block has it's place and purpose.
Pretty much.

Although I prefer when the components don't have to be used together. Where each constituent block at least does something outside of the multiblock. You may say that, to you, it's not then a multiblock. But to me it's the best kind of multiblock.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I must confess I rather like the multiblock infernal furnace from Thaumcraft - made of a mix vanilla stuff, abracadabra and BAM - multiblock. But, I'm not sure how much that counts.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I personally prefer multiblocks that arise from multiple (but distinct) blocks working together to a common goal. That's the approach that I tend to follow in RFTools (the energenic powergenerator and the spawner are two examples).
So technically those are not multiblocks like a Big Reactor or a Thaumcraft infusion altar.

But I do agree that some of these multiblocks look really cool.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I like multiblocks when they change shape once constructed. Thaumcraft's multiblocks are a good example. Reactorcraft multiblocks are the coolest ones on the market right now since they all change shape dramatically but they might be a little bit too complicated to build.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

FastTquick

Jul 29, 2019
I like multiblocks for the same reasons you do. Mainly, that you can make some really powerful blocks without having to memorize a series of overcomplicated crafting recipes. Another thing I like is that multiblocks provide a greater amount of flexibility than single block machines. If you want to add a new function to an existing machine, it's as easy as replacing one of the casing blocks with a new machine block instead of having to remake the entire machine from scratch. Finally, in examples like the Infusion and Blood Alters, multiblocks help the player to progress to creating a new tier of items and equipment. To make some of the most powerful items in a mod, it usually takes a radically new crafting process offered by a multiblock structure.

QuantumZari

Jul 29, 2019
I suspect coming up with a clever design is the hardest part of designing a good multiblock system since that is hard to define.

I know some multiblocks use a lot of tile entities to track their shape. Is this ever a problem for those with slower computers?

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the idea of Multiblock instead of having a really overcomplicated crafting recipe to increase the cost for a single block, Multiblocks are a better way to go. It’s really good to see what really cool ideas people can come up with the design with the Multiblocks I.e. Blood Magic and Thaumcraft.

Also normally multiblocks are normally an end game achievement.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
What make a multiblock good is that it actually functions the way that it's meant to