What kind of elevator, Funky Locomotion, Railcraft, Pnuematic Craft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
C

Culprit

I need a way to get up and down my Natura Redwood base fast without flying. I have looked around a little and am kind of leaning towards Pnuematic craft or Railcraft. Which are your guys favorite elevators? Which is the easiest/best?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I wasn't aware Railcraft had an elevator actually. I know it has an elevator track but do people use that for getting up/down in their bases?

PneumaticCraft is the most realistic but requires the most work and requires a tiny bit of power. You also need to upgrade it if you want it to move at a good speed, and it takes up the most space, particularly if it needs to be tall.

The most popular is probably OpenBlocks' Elevator, if you have that mod. It allows you to "teleport" from floor to floor at a decent range, takes up exactly 1 block per floor and is mindlessly simple to set up. (It can be configured to cost XP per teleport but i dont know anybody who uses that option)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I can only submit this as an honourable mention, as I've never used it myself, but the elevator from RFTools is a particularly nice option, looks- and use-wise, from what I've seen. That said, I believe its not for 1.7, and only came into play this year.

C

Culprit

Can you call a Railcraft elevator up and down? Because the OpenBlocks mod only goes 15 blocks so I would have to have about 10 to 15 of those, and the pnuematic crfat would be hollowing out the tree.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
You should be able to call it up and down if you build it right. You'll just need to run redstone all the way down.

I'm the same boat as you, except I have a tower where the ground floor is at around y=120 and the lowest basement is at bedrock. I was going to use the openblocks elevators but now I'm considering the railcraft option...

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Might be worthwhile to check the configs for openblocks if you're playing single player. Its possible there's an option to tweak the Y restriction.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Might be worthwhile to check the configs for openblocks if you're playing single player. Its possible there's an option to tweak the Y restriction.

There is. It's as simple as changing the number.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Are you absolutely set on an elevator? RFTools Teleporters are pretty compact and vastly more powerful. That said, I vote PneumaticCraft because it's not the mainstream option. Alternatively, you could use TE Viaducts, which are pretty badass.

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
EnderIO also has elevators in the form of Travel Anchors, when placed above one another. Similar to the OpenBlocks Elevators, u can jump to go up and sneak to go down.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I've used RailCraft as an on/off switch for an infinite villager breeder built into a lighthouse. You need a redstone signal to make it go up and turn it off to make it go down, so there is your call system already. In 1.7.10, you could also use Tinkers bounce pads, in 1.10.2, it looks like you can use the green slime channels ( the blue ones seem to flow side to side when placed on a wall).

C

Culprit

Whoa I just looked at the ENder IO travel anchor and that is a win right there! Ill go ahead and try those out and if it doesn't work like I thougt they would then I will do railcraft.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
huh, neat, I thought those only works with that staff of travelling thing.

Without the staff you can just access them from one to a other anchor. And there is a block limit of I think 15 blocks or so.
For a house normaly enough, but for bigger bases the Staff is needed.

Still my favourite way to move through the base. Also if not the most "realistic" or the most engineered thing there is :)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I think for my purposes (not that anyone cares, this isn't my thread, lol) I'm sticking with railcraft. I like the practical locomotion over an instant teleport any day. Especially if my tower is in segments. If you basically blink from one to the next, you can't even tell it's all in the same building, basically.

I haven't messed around with railcraft yet, but there are slower tracks you can use, too, right? for a more scenic drop?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you're using Railcraft, you don't need to run redstone. It has a built in wireless redstone system, which I don't pretend to fully understand, but which is extremely potent. Basically you press a button and it then gives the signal to the other end. And can send multiple signals.

JeetTol on YouTube built this:
, and it's awesome. Takes a bit of wiring work though.

Elevator Tracks only come in one speed, but you don't descend too quickly.

Reactions: Drbretto