What is your preferred method of ore gen control?

Reciprocity

Jul 29, 2019
Multiple mods add ores. Sometimes those ores are specific to the mod (like Draconium). Sometimes those ores are used/can be used by multiple mods (like Copper). When you go hardcore mech style mods (Immersive + IC2 + Thermal + Railcraft + Forestry) that results in monster levels of copper ore.

There are various ways to deal with the multiple mod ores...

Method 1: One Mod To Rule Them All - Pick one ore adding mod that's the "winner" (I like either Immersive or Thermal). Disable that common ore generation via configs for the others. Typically the "winner" mod is the one that has the best regen/control/etc.

Method 2: The Replacement Ore Gen Mod - Add a "replacement" ore gen mod like UniDict, Unified Items, Custom Ore Gen, etc. Disable ore gen for the others.

Method 3: So Much Ore - Give up on ore gen control, use a post-processing fix like Ore Dictionary Converter to "unify" ingots.

Method 4: ???

I used to be lazy and go with Method 3 'cause, um, lazy. I switched to Method 1 'cause it felt easier but I'd still end up with clutter in JEI/NEI. I'm now going with Method 2 'cause I can make everything cleaner (but still need to fiddle with JEI/NEI stuff).

I realize this is pretty version dependent...1.10.2 & 1.11.x don't have as many mod choices as older versions...but generally speaking what do you all do to help keep ore generation "clean"?

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
I think #1 is best since there is no overhead (ie. extra mods) which improves performance and memory usage while also lessening the chance that one of your mods causes crashes due to being programmed like a pile of shit (I'm not naming names, but there are quite a few mods like this in FTB right now).

Reciprocity

Jul 29, 2019
I can dig that. Looking at the new FTB 1.10.2 modpack (Beyond? I forget the name currently) they used cofh to do all the ore gen.

I like the Custom Ore Gen 'cause of the GUI at world creation but it hasn't caught up yet.

Reciprocity

Jul 29, 2019
I've been looking at FTB Beyond as a template of sorts and I think I've figured out how they've done it:

1. Pick one mod to handle ore generation: For Beyond it is CoFH. It's got settings like Custom Ore Gen where you can control height/depth, vein size, etc. Result = totally custom ore generation.

2. Suppress duplicate ore generation: Use the config files for the other mods (the ones that you don't want ores from) to turn off generation. Result = don't have eleventybillion different copper ores generating in the world.

3. Suppress JEI/NEI display of disabled ores: From what I've seen JEI/NEI doesn't automatically hide ores that have been disabled via mod configs (at least it doesn't consistently? I'm a little confused on this). Use the JEI blacklist to hide the ores you don't want (either in game or manually adjust the file). Result = only one copper ore being listed.

4. Unify the ingots: This one I'm still figuring out. Although I might disable Railcraft copper and Forestry copper (use Thermal Expansion copper)...the Railcraft copper ingot and Forestry copper ingot still show up in JEI/NEI. Those are also blacklisted but using Beyond as the example they are using Unidict as well. I believe that is to "force" all ore-to-ingot processing to generate one copper ingot (instead of Machine X = Forestry copper ingot and Machine Y = Railcraft copper ingot). Result = only one copper ingot being listed (and I assume ore dictionary-d to work with all recipes).

Regarding Beyond they also included CraftTweaker + ModTweaker. Those seem to be primarily to either deactivate or replace recipes. However I think they can also do the ore dictionary stuff that Unidict can. Maybe Unidict does it easier/more automatically? I dunno.