What is your favorite mod and why.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Chisel & Bits has ruined MC for me. It's just so damn easy to get on a roll building with those little bits, only to realize that you spent four hours building a 25 meter long 2x2 tunnel. Oh sure, it looks great, and you're glad you did it, but if I spend that kind of time on each project on my list, I'll be long dead before the world is even half over.

Also, Thaumcraft 4 and RotaryCraft (especially together) are fantastic. Both succeeded at allowing me to focus especially on them while in a pack with other things and still feel fulfilled and challenged. Both have options for doing just about everything, and many of those options are completely badass.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Relatively unconsidered mods that stand out:

* Schematica - versions exit for MC 1.5.2 thru to 1.11.2 - This mod lets you load (and save) MCEdit schematic files from within game. It displays the schematic in game as a ghosted image allowing you to build to a plan. In creative mode it can place the blocks for you. Can be installed on the client only, so import/export your favorite structures from your server play.

* Tabby Chat - again, versions exist for 1.6.4 thru to 1.11.2 - Tabby chat comes into its own if you are playing on a sponge/bukkit server cluster where chat from many servers is being viewed as a single chat stream. Each server gets its own chat tab.

* Grimoire of Gaia. Adds "harder" mobs to minecraft. Nicely modeled and far more balanced than the mobs added by some other mods that seem way more popular.

* Roguelike Dungeons. Randomly spawns multilevel dungeon complexes. Each level gets harder as the spawners get more hidden and spawn harder mobs.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Chisel & Bits is one that you either end up using patterns on, or you go crazy.

I love Roguelike dungeons, but the loot tends to be hit or miss in larger mod packs, unless someone has gone to the trouble of manually editing what can spawn. I've just fought my way through three armored Wither Skeleton Spawners, and my reward is... 3 Gold Ingots, a Diamond and some Rotten Flesh.

Renton Terrace

Jul 29, 2019
Chisel & Bits is one that you either end up using patterns on, or you go crazy.

I love Roguelike dungeons, but the loot tends to be hit or miss in larger mod packs, unless someone has gone to the trouble of manually editing what can spawn. I've just fought my way through three armored Wither Skeleton Spawners, and my reward is... 3 Gold Ingots, a Diamond and some Rotten Flesh.

Add a Loot Bag mod and fiddle with the drop rate of the bags till it fits with what you feel is appropriate.
WARNING adds even more incentive too make Spawner traps

Favorite mod is Ex Nihilo for something to do with all the cobble(I have a problem with throwing things out)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Apparently, I need to change my answer, to the same answer I keep getting for every question I've had in the last two weeks: Storage Drawers.

And, truth be told, this is a fantastic mod. Inventory management is a MAJOR part of this game, and having a nice, streamlined option to keep everything sorted can save you tons of time in the long run. I'd argue that after making a solid, safe base and collecting the basic requisite survival supplies, the very next focus for any game would be a proper inventory management system because it will free up a ton of downtime for the rest of your run. There is no better option than Storage Drawers. It does everything you'd want it to do, automatically. IT's easy to set up, easy to use, and looks good to boot. It has nice, easy to make upgrades to greatly increase storage capacity, can add a nice at-a-glance gauge for space and will automatically condense items into blocks (and apparently automatically combine ores from different modpacks!). It's really a great total solution and I already can't imagine ever skipping this mod in any pack ever again.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Apparently, I need to change my answer, to the same answer I keep getting for every question I've had in the last two weeks: Storage Drawers.

And, truth be told, this is a fantastic mod. Inventory management is a MAJOR part of this game, and having a nice, streamlined option to keep everything sorted can save you tons of time in the long run. I'd argue that after making a solid, safe base and collecting the basic requisite survival supplies, the very next focus for any game would be a proper inventory management system because it will free up a ton of downtime for the rest of your run. There is no better option than Storage Drawers. It does everything you'd want it to do, automatically. IT's easy to set up, easy to use, and looks good to boot. It has nice, easy to make upgrades to greatly increase storage capacity, can add a nice at-a-glance gauge for space and will automatically condense items into blocks (and apparently automatically combine ores from different modpacks!). It's really a great total solution and I already can't imagine ever skipping this mod in any pack ever again.
Absolutely - can't believe I left it off my own list!

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

Storage Drawers is a mod I hate to love. It fills a critical hole in minecraft survival mode: I don't know why MC and mods are so stingy with storage but when it takes over 120 stacks of gravel to just do the paving around my base, chests and double chests just doesn't cut it.

That said - I dislike the cheapness of its capacity upgrade system. I dislike its poor rendering optimizations that make a storage room of storage chests kill your fps and start to effect lighting in strange ways. I dislike the compressing drawers not for the storage convenience they offer, but how they trivialize the act of compressing - that other mods charge both time and energy for. I dislike the controller, again for the way it allows other mods to simply use an entire SD system as a large, automatic, storage. I dislike the fact that the quantity contained is not shown by default like on ALL the other barrel mods.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The only thing I dislike about it, and I think you kinda agree on this part, is that it's just WAY too easy.

I tend to tackle and master one mod at a time, so my first foray into making an automatic inventory system was me building a gigantic warehouse size buildcraft sorting machine with diamond sorting pipes and obsidian chests. And even that was super easy compared to trying to set up a mountain-sized system of minecarts, chests and hoppers to do the same thing in vanilla.

That said, I've more or less gotten everything I wanted to get out of those other methods and in this case, the goal is for it to be relatively simple so I can focus on moving on to more interesting builds. In that, the mod succeeds. If I log in tonight, I'll have that thing set up perfectly in about 2 hours.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Speaking as a pack developer, my favorite mod, bar none, is CoFH Core.

No, not Thermal Expansion, or any of the others, the CoFH Core mod itself. Why? Oregen. Do anything I want and get away with it levels of customization of oregen. Expect to see a pack update by the end of the week extensively taking advantage of this. Like, for reals, amazing things you can do with this.

Reactions: Inaeo

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking as a pack developer, my favorite mod, bar none, is CoFH Core.

No, not Thermal Expansion, or any of the others, the CoFH Core mod itself. Why? Oregen. Do anything I want and get away with it levels of customization of oregen. Expect to see a pack update by the end of the week extensively taking advantage of this. Like, for reals, amazing things you can do with this.

I loved COFHcore in 1.7. I'm looking forward to seeing what crazy things I can make it do going forward.