What is your favorite mod and whats mods do you want to see added to ftb

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Quarries and other mining devices would just trivialize Metallurgy, I fear, and the big reason it's not being included from what I can tell is that it causes the vanilla ores to spawn too rarely. Iron is consumed a great deal in the mod packs.

I have a bit of a nit to pick. I'm not sure how you see Forestry as "essentially just extends a bridge" when it provides automatic farming and resource stockpiling, stacking tools with (mostly) reclaimable resources, auto-sorting and resupplying bags, two tech trees to work through (farms and bees), and what is currently the best SMP trading system and only mail system (everybody can't be online all the time). You may only use it for its bio generator and electric engine, but that doesn't mean that's all the mod is good for. Far from it.

GrayPlaysGames

Jul 29, 2019
Quarries and other mining devices would just trivialize Metallurgy, I fear, and the big reason it's not being included from what I can tell is that it causes the vanilla ores to spawn too rarely. Iron is consumed a great deal in the mod packs.

I have a bit of a nit to pick. I'm not sure how you see Forestry as "essentially just extends a bridge" when it provides automatic farming and resource stockpiling, stacking tools with (mostly) reclaimable resources, auto-sorting and resupplying bags, two tech trees to work through (farms and bees), and what is currently the best SMP trading system and only mail system (everybody can't be online all the time). You may only use it for its bio generator and electric engine, but that doesn't mean that's all the mod is good for. Far from it.

Well. I'll admit that quarries would kinda defeat the purpose. But it does add a lot of other content as well, that's worth spending time in, so that's always an option. I'unno. And I haven't really messed with it much to see how it affects vanilla ores. I doubt it makes them less common, if anything it's just that they seem less common due to the fact you're mining so many other ores that are more common.

Also, that was sort of a bad example. It does bridge between the two with the whole biofuel and electric engine, but yeah, it's called Forestry for a reason. Automated farming for trees/wheat/etc., the raintank, squeezer, apiology stuff. I've played around with a lot of it, and it's pretty fun. It does sort of bridge the two, but it is a mod of it's own as well, so that was probably a bad choice of words.

Also, correction on the whole Metallurgy thing -- it says on the forum post that it's permitted to be included in modpacks so long as it links back to the post anyways, so, don't even have to get permission technically since you basically already have it under those circumstances.

Edit:

"As part of Metallurgy's addons, normal ores are put onto our spawn system of no height restrictions, we felt this created a more fun, exploratory system for mining. If you want to change Vanilla metals back to their old values, simply crack the Core config and under ores disable all of the listed ores (should all be vanilla names) which will reset anything we change about them."

So, there's that. Pretty easy to fix as far as any vanilla ore changes go, so it wouldn't cause any problems there. Just my personal opinion anyways, since I can always manually add it to my server regardless of whether it's included, but I just feel like enough people might enjoy the content for it to be included too. It meshes well with IC2 also, from what I'm reading.

masonm12

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if something like Metallurgy could one day be restricted to specific Mystcraft ages (if it isn't already). Being able to specify mod world gen on a per age basis (like you kinda can with the extra biomes stuff) would be real cool.

lindyhopfan

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if something like Metallurgy could one day be restricted to specific Mystcraft ages (if it isn't already). Being able to specify mod world gen on a per age basis (like you kinda can with the extra biomes stuff) would be real cool.

Metallurgy has a Mystcraft addon that does add world gen symbols for Metallurgy ores. If you don't want Metallurgy ores in the overworld, that is possible too, you would just have to configure the configs appropriately.

Creeper Be Creepin

Jul 29, 2019
Quarry's would really make it so easy to have so many metallurgy tools so maby slowpoke could make so the metallurgy ore's would not spawn in the overworld but are still in selected mystcraft ages so that you can have all those things only if you choose to do so.

thekingross

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I would like to see Flan's plane mod and Universal Electricity in the final ultimate mod pack. Flan's mod would add great tech advantages of transportation, which minecraft sorely lacks. Also, I would like to see Universal Electricity used together with IC2, BC3, and other tech mods. I know UE has its own mod pack, but just want more tech options when playing.

Creeper Be Creepin

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I would like to see Flan's plane mod and Universal Electricity in the final ultimate mod pack. Flan's mod would add great tech advantages of transportation, which minecraft sorely lacks. Also, I would like to see Universal Electricity used together with IC2, BC3, and other tech mods. I know UE has its own mod pack, but just want more tech options when playing.
That is a very good idea. I have never actually played with the planes mod but I heard that it is very good and yes Minecraft does very much lack in transportation.

huldu

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 and RP2, minecraft just isn't the same without those. Not a huge fan of greg obviously.

Nexnecis

Jul 29, 2019
Ya i know right but Gregtech does kinda make sense by making “Vanilla” Ic2's macerater cost more because after all it does double you output
Yeah, but it essentially makes FTB into the GregTech Pack.

IC should be IC, regardless of the imbalances. If you create a modpack it should be all-in or nothing, as in just put the mods together or make your own game by rebalencing things. If you Do want to rebalance things ( like actually changing another mods recipes ) that should be the core focus of the pack. GT Feels the the core focus of the FTB Beta unfortunately, what with all of us be familiar with IC and BC, etc.. from Tekkit.

Sorry... obviously not a fan of greg either :)

AnyWays... I know it's not included for a reason, but Damn I can't play Minecraft anymore without Treecapitator. From a core function standpoint, it's probably my 2nd favorite Mod, period ( First is Rei's Minimap... Core!).

Edit as for my favorite non Core-Gameplay adding mod, it's easily Red Power. Easily. I can't stand how many times I'm building stuff and go " Oh, right.. no Red Power..."
As for adding to FTB? Probably one of the enchanting table mods, at least one where you get plain text enchanments. I'm using one that I can't remember the name of now unfortunatly, but's it's the one you used to get in the Yogbox where you have the sliders and such. Never liked the enchanting system personally when it was added, but that mod made it seem fun to me ( IMHO of course).

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite mod right now is PowerCraft (PC). I recently watched a video of that mod and I was highly impressed. It's conveyer belts are cheap, which isn't a good thing, but are very cool to watch. I've always struggled with a good sorting system with the current mods and this mod just seems to make sense to me. I don't see too many people talking about it.

I like the mod so much I have been working for the last 3 or 4 days to get it integrated in my HEAVILY modded magic world. Basically, I created an ultimate pack for myself. However, PC isn't really working well and I'm not the best with configurations and java errors.

Creeper Be Creepin

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite mod right now is PowerCraft (PC). I recently watched a video of that mod and I was highly impressed. It's conveyer belts are cheap, which isn't a good thing, but are very cool to watch. I've always struggled with a good sorting system with the current mods and this mod just seems to make sense to me. I don't see too many people talking about it.

I like the mod so much I have been working for the last 3 or 4 days to get it integrated in my HEAVILY modded magic world. Basically, I created an ultimate pack for myself. However, PC isn't really working well and I'm not the best with configurations and java errors.
Nice idea where you looking to make the sorting system with conveyer belts?

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
Nice idea where you looking to make the sorting system with conveyer belts?

Absolutely, I think that is the heart of the mod and it seem MUCH simpler to setup and use. The only thing I'd change, right now, is the cost of the belts. kinda cheap right now.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
pick a favourite? Are you actually insane? XD
I can't live without Rei's minimap and Optifine... or treecapitator... or Redpower... or Industrial craft... hell picking a favourite is impossible!

GrayPlaysGames

Jul 29, 2019
Ya i know right but Gregtech does kinda make sense by making “Vanilla” Ic2's macerater cost more because after all it does double you output

Just acknowledging, but, while GregTech is included in FTB and does make the solar panel recipe expensive (along with a few others), the macerator retains the original recipe by default, so that point is kinda null. Aside from that, it only doubles output for ores, and you can already get more than that in vanilla although it does require an enchanting table -- silk touch to mine all ores, until you can use a Fortune II pickaxe. In fact, Fortune even results in more diamonds -- the macerator is useless for diamonds, redstone, etcetera.

Besides, even with GregTech making the macerator more expensive, you can just get a pulverizer almost as easily, which does the same thing just with BC energy instead (which I find even easier to obtain than IC energy most of the time).

---------------

If I were to just add a large group of compatible mods to a SSP client, non-modpack, it'd probably have IC2, Buildcraft, Thermal Expansion, Rei's, RP2, EE3, Xycraft, Metallurgy, Treecap., Forestry, Mo' Creatures, Factorization, Nether Ores, Railcraft, Steve's Carts, Wireless Redstone, Additional Pipes, Logistics Pipes, Iron Chests, Ender Storage, Computer Craft, Balkon's Weapons Mod, MAtmos, Inventory Tweaks, ExtraBiomes XL, Damage Indicators, Optifine, NEI, and obviously all the requirements for these (ChickenBones, Forge, etc.)

Majority of these do work together just fine, and also support SMP, so that's just my preferences. I'm not really too big on dimension mods. I liked Aether and NetherCraft, and Twilight Forest was okay. MystCraft is fun, but only if you have the space to store all the ages (or a server with enough resources to handle processing several different ages at once). Otherwise it's just a nuisance, especially with the new potions -- although they are configurable, thankfully. I'm mostly happy with things that add to the Nether and make it more worthwhile, and Metallurgy even goes further by adding ores to the End too. Otherwise, stick to one world and just add various different mods that focus on entirely different things.

I realized in my post on the last page (the last post of page 2 even) that I never really did elaborate on what I meant by the different possibilities. When Tekkit first rolled around, and was the most well known modded server (a lot of people didn't know how to mod servers, so having a modpack do the work for you saved the effort for a lot of people -- Tekkit just happened to be the first, really well known client for this), it did exactly that. Say you had 5 people on your server. One could go entirely industrial and focus on IC2, building various machines to get a lot of materials, generate energy for tesla coils, or mass fabricators to create anything you need, etcetera. Another could go with Forestry, setting up automated farms, beekeeping, and green energy. Someone else could go entirely on Equivalent Exchange, relying on 'magic' to whet their appetite for material gains, through transmutation tablets, energy collectors, and so forth. Fourth person? Go around hunting mobs with guns and flails, halberds and grenades, all from Balkon's Weapons mod. Fifth person? Build an elaborate sorting system or transportation systems using RailCraft, or even roller coasters. Hell, you can have a sixth person still doing something different and playing around with ComputerCraft.

While I like interconnecting mods like how Forestry sort of adds to Buildcraft (as does Thermal Expansion), I like the separation too. GregTech "adds" to IC2, but to me, really isn't even all that notable on it's own. In fact, it's appealing to people who want to make IC2 more difficult, but it's pretty much just a mod for a mod. I'd almost never use it as I feel I get enough out of IC2's machines that I rarely even use to begin with, and I just don't feel the more difficult recipes makes it worth using. On the other hand, the additional pipes are extremely useful for Buildcraft as it allows more possibilities, not only with transporting items but wireless conductive pipes making it so much easier to make clean, hidden power sources for engines. But that's just personal preference -- I can do without any mod-extending mods mostly, and just do a collection of vastly different mods that have no relation, because if I get bored of one thing, I can do something completely different. But if it does take a mod and add more to it, it needs to be enough to be worth my time, something I might actually get to experience. GregTech feels like it's something I'd never notice until I already completed everything else, due to the incredibly expensive recipes, and by then... what would I even use it for? I'unno, I guess that's just me though. It feels out of place compared to everything else. Most mods have functions you'll use without having to obtain riches on the level of Gilgamesh.

My apologies for the tl;dr. I tend to rant sometimes. It's a habit I need to break, but, whatever.~

mknote

Jul 29, 2019
Nobody has mentioned yet, and it's a complete and utter pipe dream for it ever being included in FtB, but...

The Aether.

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
My new favorite mod is the Auto-Switch mod. Am using it now and my god, how have I played without this?

Check out the video.

In multiMC, all you need to do is drop the two mods into the jar mod folder (instamods) and make sure the API is loaded before auto-switch.

Oodahn

Jul 29, 2019
My new favorite mod is the Auto-Switch mod. Am using it now and my god, how have I played without this?

Check out the video.

In multiMC, all you need to do is drop the two mods into the jar mod folder (instamods) and make sure the API is loaded before auto-switch.
Can you set that up to auto switch with other mod tools, like the Diamond Drill? I don't carry any picks once I get to that point.