What is the best FTB modpack for me?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

bradster1305

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,
I am not new to FTB but i have never known which is the best modpack for me to use on singleplayer. So I thought one of you guys/girls would know a bit more than me about them.
I am a laptop gamer and my specs are;
AMD A6 Quad-core processor, 2.0 or 2.5 ghz (not sure)
and 4gb's of RAM
64 bit java

Note: I normally add Optifine to any modpack I use

Any help would be nice and thank you for reading/helping :)

-bradster1305

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hmm I would love to say Monster, but probably a bit heavy for your laptop. So maybe try the new DW20 1.6 pack. Although I'm not entirely sure its that much lighter than the main feature pack anymore. Might actually get a whole lot more enjoyable experience in picking Lite and then adding bits and bobs to your liking.

bradster1305

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm I would love to say Monster, but probably a bit heavy for your laptop. So maybe try the new DW20 1.6 pack. Although I'm not entirely sure its that much lighter than the main feature pack anymore.
Thanks for the quick response dude :D
Still want to see what others say just incase someone with similar specs replies but thanks dude :D

Optibane

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm I would love to say Monster, but probably a bit heavy for your laptop. So maybe try the new DW20 1.6 pack. Although I'm not entirely sure its that much lighter than the main feature pack anymore. Might actually get a whole lot more enjoyable experience in picking Lite and then adding bits and bobs to your liking.

I agree with making a custom pack with Lite as the starting point. What I've done is download all the packs so I've got all of the mods, then it's a simple matter to add them into a different pack. Downside is when you want to do an update, you have to update each mod you add in as well. So keep the list of extra mods fairly short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradster1305

Jul 29, 2019
yh thats a good idea, but that like my last option, if theres a modpack ready that will suit it, i would rather use that, but its a good point

Optibane

Jul 29, 2019
The other way of looking at it is that you can take a heavier pack like direwolf and disable everything you're not interested in.

Optibane

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I guess you could say that, but make sure you give credit to direwolf and the FTB Team because they did most of the work for you :)

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
You know like people make custom modpacks for there PC's. If i edited a pre made modpack like DW20, would it be my own custom modpack
Not really but it only really matters if you are trying to give the pack to someone else if not it's just a pack of mods that play the way you want.
Heavy usage mods are MFR (if you go with the large spawning abilities of auto-spawners and breeders and don't kill the entities fast enough, logged in the other day and forgot I turned off the grinders on my animal lines I had about 300 chickens in a pit that caused a lot of lag), IC2 has a lot of calculations and tile entities and atm is experimental so probably not exceptionally polished codewise, TC4 if you go with a large number of golems can get pretty calculation intensive and the Arcane Lamps seem to have a few small issues if you have other competing lightsources, basically any mod that has a large number of entities or can create a large number of entities will be a bit of a strain for your lappy.

Assigning 2gb ram and 128 permgen will go a fair way to making any of the packs playable (there are posts and things to tell you how to do this in the FTB launcher I'm fairly sure) and avoiding mass entities while playing will also help a lot, my kids comp is around the same specs are yours and they can wander around my base quite easily (as long as I don't have any stuff-ups like the mass chickens) but I do have a home server running which helps immensely, the other kids computer is an old P4 with 2gb ram and 32 bit java it does have some trouble with my base but is generally ok as long as the player stays out of my machine room\farms.

Last edited:

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I would say lite if other packs seem slow, DIrewolf20 if you want a general pack, magic farm for a conversion, horizons for trying out different mods that some people dont normally use, and monster if you must have everything
Also:
Never
EVER
Use
Optifine
EVER
It breaks renderring and causes a plethora of issues

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
Where is minecraft 2 where things are optimized and multithreaded properly and a mod API exists? Notch! You could get another 20 mil! Lets do it! Hehe

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
if you're unsure of what your laptop/computer is able to handle, I'd start out with FTB lite.
if Lite is stable and gives you plenty of FPS, try adding some mods/configurations of the DW20 pack till you pretty much have the DW20 pack running.
if that also goes smoothly, you can work towards the mods from Monster.

but if you're really want to play a certain style, like only magic mods, or tech mods, or a hard challenge, you can try the Magic World, Tech World and Magic Farm modpacks aswell
because they're themed modpacks they've less mods then the main modpacks

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
Heavy usage mods are MFR (if you go with the large spawning abilities of auto-spawners and breeders and don't kill the entities fast enough, logged in the other day and forgot I turned off the grinders on my animal lines I had about 300 chickens in a pit that caused a lot of lag)

Uhm, MFR itself is incredibly light - hence the reason it was included in FTBLite. Entity lag is a vanilla thing, and, uh, turned off the grinders is well... your own fault

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Uhm, MFR itself is incredibly light - hence the reason it was included in FTBLite. Entity lag is a vanilla thing, and, uh, turned off the grinders is well... your own fault
True it was my own fault but the capabilities of MFR make it very easy to get yourself in an unrecoverable position without editing the world via a third party program. The op's system under the conditions I described, which once again is very easy to do, most likely would have been completely unplayable and not able to be recovered without mcedit\worldedit or something of that nature. Even using MFR normally can cause a massive amount of entities to be in the world at one time, I frequently have upward of 200 entities in my animal farm (both initial breeding stock and the spawn waiting to mature) when I forgot the grinders it was closer to 600 which was a bit of a strain for my system and server. Even the small tree farm, just 3x3 with fertiliser, when running flat out can have over 100 entities in progress along the conveyors to the AE entrance point. My point is that MFR can easily flood the world with entities which will strain systems quite effectively.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
True it was my own fault but the capabilities of MFR make it very easy to get yourself in an unrecoverable position without editing the world via a third party program. The op's system under the conditions I described, which once again is very easy to do, most likely would have been completely unplayable and not able to be recovered without mcedit\worldedit or something of that nature. Even using MFR normally can cause a massive amount of entities to be in the world at one time, I frequently have upward of 200 entities in my animal farm (both initial breeding stock and the spawn waiting to mature) when I forgot the grinders it was closer to 600 which was a bit of a strain for my system and server. Even the small tree farm, just 3x3 with fertiliser, when running flat out can have over 100 entities in progress along the conveyors to the AE entrance point. My point is that MFR can easily flood the world with entities which will strain systems quite effectively.

Well, generikb on the mndcrack server had around 1700 chickens from a 1.7 vanilla-only chicken farm ;)

There's a video of hm "fixing" it with a splash potion. I think it was episode 42 of season 2.