What if you could use only one mod?!

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Like many I'd choose RP2 or TC3, maybe BuildCraft, those machines are really helpful for setting/ clearing large areas and buildings.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
First choice would be Better than Wolves, its one of the few mods that truly work as a stand-alone.
(and the vanilla tweaks are epic- you don't ever want to screw off an enderman unless you're ready for a fight. Setting up nightvision and fortune IV beacons are cool too.)

Second choice would be Thaumcraft III- for the same reason, its an awesome stand-alone.

Third- I'd rock my vanilla server with MineLP. (Or tear-up the hungergames servers with Nodus)

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
Probably computer craft mainly because it is the big mod that I have done the least with which kinda gives me a lot still to do plus you can kinda do everything from all the other mods just in a milion times more complicated way using turtles and computers (if this also allows addons I would add miscperiferals for some of the extra stuff)

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft is the only mod that every single part from it has to do something with each other, no matter how different they are. The only thing I dislike is that it uses nether stars.

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
Gotta say RP2 for me. The sheer versatility of the mod is awesome and worth the wait every time Ello makes an update. I once built a sorting system for my frame quarry that included RP blulectric furnaces x8 for auto smelting of ores in 1.2.5. Sure it took a while and was a power hog but I loved it. Went overboard and made wall of battery boxes 1x19x5 with about 3 to 4 stacks worth of solar panels just so I didn't run out of power. Made the back wall of 2 DW20 9x9's connected together. Was only playing with RP2 at the time.

Zerren

Jul 29, 2019
Terrafirmacraft or BTW, and I'll tell you why:
These two mods are a game of their own. While you can play minecraft with just RP, or IC2, or something else, the entire experience is given by TFC and BTW.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I'd love to have RP2, I'd have to say Treecapitator. Just seems like a bugfix to me, not having floating trees.

infosoft

Jul 29, 2019
I would have to go with good-old buildcraft! BUILDING FOUNTAINS THAT USE PAPER INSTEAD OF WATER IS MY DESTINY!!!!!!

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I've heard a lot of RP2 and IC2. These are great mods that can work quite well as stand-alones, but there's one I haven't seen, and honestly, I'm a bit surprised...

Thermal Expansion.

Granted, getting yourself bootstrapped into automation may be a bit tricksy, since you'll need to hit the nether before you can get energy conduits, and there's no item pipes at all (and the tesseract is decidedly end-game content for a mostly-vanilla play), but it provides quite a bit of automation even without those pipes, thanks to how the machines interact with one another (with proper side configuration).

Steve's Carts is another 'can theoretically do it all' kind of mod, although it's fairly crippled in the automation department by a lack of pipes/tubes. But it can do anything from forestry-esque automated farms, auto-mining like a tunnel bore... quite a versatile little mod.

Computercraft is another one that can really explode if you are good with lua, being able to fully automate just about any project with turtles. Everything from branch mining to sorting systems to farming.

But if I really wanted a challenge? If I really wanted to use just a single mod and ignore everything else? TerraFirmaCraft. It beats BTW with an ugly stick, both in terms of complexity and in being internally consistent with the tech tree. It's explicitly not compatible with other mods, simply because it changes so many fundamental concepts of the game world that the other mods just don't have any points of commonality to interact with. Which is a much better reason than BTW's, in my personal opinion. But the mechanics it introduces are in-depth, flavorful, and quite interesting once you get the hang of them. Stone knapping, for example, becomes your stone-tier tool mechanic. Smithing requires more skill than throwing stuff on the crafting table. Heck, getting your ores requires a lot of effort. Making charcoal isn't easy either. It is a glorious and wonderful insane challenge which anyone who considers Minecraft in general 'too easy' or 'op' should check out.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Well actually I just thought I do play on 1 instance with only 1 mod. Reason being is ts made to work only on its own and its awesome.

And that mod is: Better Than Wolves :D

Haha, agreed! BTW or GregTech (wait. If mods have dependencies, can we also include those dependencies?)

Kinjiru

Jul 29, 2019
I'm never playing without Rei's mini map again. So I guess I'd be just playing vanilla if I had to pick only one mod.

Qwertz

Jul 29, 2019
RP2, just because it is pretty much the jack of all trades. Best of all it includes freaking volcanoes! :p