Request What for Internet?

Doctor_Chuckles

Jul 29, 2019
So I need better Internet. On it I need to run 4 mobile devices and 3 computers. Also an Xbox and a PS3. I want to know how good of a router and Internet plan I should have. I can say this, I don't know my current stats, but my speed test got a top spike of 1. That's not gonna work.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest residential internet feeds are crap.. Th reason being that providers oversell up to 64 TIMES than what they allocate. Meaning for about every 64 people who renting the same amount of throughout and bandwidth, they only truly around 1 person worth of these resources. While business grade internet is still oversold quite a bit (about 1/4 the rate of residential), you should receive more of a non congested and uninterrupted connection for the premium you need to pay for this grade of internet.

As for renting an internet feed plan, there are two type of resources throughout and bandwidth (unless they are supplying on a unmetered basis).
  • Throughout is the speed of the transfer, and there are two types of transfer speeds. Upload (or outgoing) and download (or incoming), each type does what the names implies (the more download speed the faster you download, and the more upload speed the faster you upload). Both are measured in Mbps meaning Megabits per second. 1Mbps is equal to 128 Kilobytes or you can also think in the terms of 8Mbps equals to 1 Megabytes.
  • Bandwidth is simply the amount of transfer (usually billed combined speeds from both upload+downloads). They are expressed in familiar Gigabytes or Terabytes (a Terabyte is 1,000 Gigabytes in case your not aware).

As for routing equipment, your best bet to consult your "to be" provider on their recommended specifications of the routing equipment then you can buy it from them/from a separate supplier.

With these details you can then make an informed choice what internet servicing plan to purchase by balancing resources vs. budget to your needs.