What exactly keeps my chunks loaded here (pics) ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
I have:
- Ritual of the Blood River (inactive, I think)
- Ender Chests (Ender Storage) which should NOT keep the chunks loaded
- A Tesseract (Thermal Expansion, duh), it too should NOT keep the chunks loaded
- the bed I last slept in
- Fish feeders (Mariculture) with ETERNAL LIFE upgrades and: Pufferfish, Tuna, Bass, Boneless, Dragonfish, Clownfish, Koi, Electirc Eel
- A village nearby
- A magnum torch nearby
- An Iron Golem underwater
- Pearls (Mariculture)
1.png

2.png

3.png

Also, I would like to know once and for all: Do Tesseracts/Ender Chests/Ender Tanks keep the chunks they're in loaded?! From my experimentations, they don't.

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
How can u be sure that the chunks are loaded?
But It Has to be mariculture since i assume the fishes despawn in.unloaded chunks

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
How can u be sure that the chunks are loaded?
But It Has to be mariculture since i assume the fishes despawn in.unloaded chunks

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk
The fish are items, they're in the fish feeders (they're very much like Forestry bees). I know they're loaded because the fish give produce even when I'm 600 blocks away (the "drops" get sent to the AE system through the Ender Chests)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
How far from spawn is your base? You do know spawns chunks are always loaded.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Ok that would be why. I think the default radius is 10-16 chunks give or take. In a square to so if you are in a diagonal bearing you would have to walk further to be out of range.
Maybe your base is encroaching in the loaded spawn area.
If you can be bothered, install Opis it lets you see the force loaded chunks in blue and natural loaded in green. You can always deactivate it afterwards.

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
Ok that would be why. I think the default radius is 10-16 chunks give or take. In a square to so if you are in a diagonal bearing you would have to walk further to be out of range.
Maybe your base is encroaching in the loaded spawn area.
If you can be bothered, install Opis it lets you see the force loaded chunks in blue and natural loaded in green. You can always deactivate it afterwards.

That's an insane amount of chunks ! Maybe in vanilla that's ok, but in modded MC it's terrible ! Can I disable that "feature" somehow ?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
yeah that is kinda odd so I looked it up and this wiki says its a 16x16 chunk area, doubtful it can be changed but feel free to read:
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Spawn_chunk

Also interesting to read about what happens if you go to the Nether - you gotta jump thru some hoops if you plan to use this game feature as a poor man's Chunk Loader.

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
yeah that is kinda odd so I looked it up and this wiki says its a 16x16 chunk area, doubtful it can be changed but feel free to read:
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Spawn_chunk

Also interesting to read about what happens if you go to the Nether - you gotta jump thru some hoops if you plan to use this game feature as a poor man's Chunk Loader.
I just realised that a chunk is 16x16 blocks and a spawn chunk is 16x16 chunks :)). But is there a way of disabling this STUPID, LAGGY feature ?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
16 x 16 isn't that laggy.
Also your character loads a similar amount by just standing.
Chunk loading only gets bad when a lot of things are happening. Or you have an excessive amount force loaded.
Reducing spawn chunks yeilds you no noticeable improvements.

Reactions: rhn

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
16 x 16 isn't that laggy.
Also your character loads a similar amount by just standing.
Chunk loading only gets bad when a lot of things are happening. Or you have an excessive amount force loaded.
Reducing spawn chunks yeilds you no noticeable improvements.

I've built a few things around the spawn. I thought I had just a few chunks strategically loaded with Spot Loaders, and could not understand why the HUGE lag (8-13fps) at my other base, 600 blocks away. Now I get it...
The problem isn't that there are a lot of chunks loaded, but that these chunks are ACTIVE ("a lot of things are happening")
I never knew if the "Chunks around spawn are always loaded" thing was real or just a myth.
ALSO these chunks ADD to the ones that my character loads. I'm in VERY late game (if I can call it that) and I have tons of things active at once from 40+ mods and a ton of lag, I need to use every optimization technique I can.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Not of you are close though as your player chunks don't need to load if you are near spawn. Then again your gameplay shouldn't be hindered if you where to disable spawn loading.
But I doubt you will get a performance increase. Ad mentioned in another thread I think forge has optioms for limiting spawn chunks.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I just realised that a chunk is 16x16 blocks and a spawn chunk is 16x16 chunks :)). But is there a way of disabling this STUPID, LAGGY feature ?
If you read the link he posted it actually explains how to move the spawn:
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Spawn_chunk#Behavior
So you could simply move the spawn to a desolate region with no machines/automation and problem would be solved.

And like Azzanine says: Loaded chunks with no complex contents will not cause any noticable "lag"(read resource load). It is just static blocks that requires no updates(aka no processing). Mobs will not be active due to not having players in range. At most something might grow a bit initially until it is mature.

Also AFAIK the spawn chunks is not entirely the same as chunkloaded chunks. I think there are certain things that does not happen in the spawn chunks that will happen in a proper chunkloaded chunk. But could have gotten something wrong...

If you use ChickenChunks you can use the /chunkloaders command to get a map of all chunkloaders and the spawnchunks.

Reactions: AndyMASH

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
Not of you are close though as your player chunks don't need to load if you are near spawn. Then again your gameplay shouldn't be hindered if you where to disable spawn loading.
But I doubt you will get a performance increase. Ad mentioned in another thread I think forge has optioms for limiting spawn chunks.

Yes, it was most likely my thread. But that doesn't work

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
If you read the link he posted it actually explains how to move the spawn:
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Spawn_chunk#Behavior
So you could simply move the spawn to a desolate region with no machines/automation and problem would be solved.

And like Azzanine says: Loaded chunks with no complex contents will not cause any noticable "lag"(read resource load). It is just static blocks that requires no updates(aka no processing). Mobs will not be active due to not having players in range. At most something might grow a bit initially until it is mature.

Also AFAIK the spawn chunks is not entirely the same as chunkloaded chunks. I think there are certain things that does not happen in the spawn chunks that will happen in a proper chunkloaded chunk. But could have gotten something wrong...

If you use ChickenChunks you can use the /chunkloaders command to get a map of all chunkloaders and the spawnchunks.
Handy command

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019

Not to my knowledge because it's a safety function. In the event you are killed and your bed is destroyed you get teleported to a safe spot which is spawn. This way it prevents falling through the world.

Reactions: AndyMASH

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
Not to my knowledge because it's a safety function. In the event you are killed and your bed is destroyed you get teleported to a safe spot which is spawn. This way it prevents falling through the world.
AAAAAh ! Of course, falling through the world ! That always happened to me when crossing into the Twilight Forest. I lost all my stuff, TWICE ! From then on I only used Mystcraft books.

Wackra

Jul 29, 2019
Go into creative mode and move the spawn to somewhere far away. Not to far in case you die without a bed.