What do you recommend for my situation?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

NOCK

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all, been a while, need some help.

My girl and I wanna start playing minecraft together so I was gonna buy a server, and we will be playing FTB on it.
Need to know how much RAM I should be getting, and would like some recommendations for a host.

It will ONLY be us 2, no more players; will probably use the DW20 pack; and I will probably end up doing complicated builds but doubt she will put in too much effort on cpu-intensive stuff.

Thanks in advance

KnightOwl

Jul 29, 2019
I run a server for me and my wife on my own computer while I play. Good CPU w/ 16GB of RAM and I get on average 30->50FPS depending on what part of the world I'm in (vanilla vs. mod items everywhere). For the cost of buying a server I'd probably start with renting a server and just playing there for a few months to see if you both think you'll really stick with it?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I just recently bought a dedicate server to host my "single player world" on to get better performance on my long term builds. But don't think I would recommend it unless you plan to use it for other things as well. I decided to buy a physical server purely because I also plan to use it as media/file host, backup etc. as well. I was considering buying a highend NAS for those things, but it just made sense to join it all together into one machine.

On the notion of hardware, I got a server with a Intel Xeon E3-1245V3 / 3.4 GHz ( 3.8 GHz ) and installed 8GB of RAM on it.
You can get a picture of the world I got running on it here:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...uide-collection-etc.42664/page-20#post-790941
Skip towards the end of the thread for more recent stuff.
I am very concious about not wasting server resources on bad builds, but got quite complex and extended base setup so far. Yet the server runs at only 7-8% CPU and 2.5GB ram used.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Set up one of those crowd-sharing things like SETI and others have used where people can donate processing power to accomplish some major task.

Claim to be curing cancer or something.

Personally, i'd be using it to mine bitcoins but you could just as well host a minecraft world with it.

*whistles innocently*

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Set up one of those crowd-sharing things like SETI and others have used where people can donate processing power to accomplish some major task.

Claim to be curing cancer or something.

Personally, i'd be using it to mine bitcoins but you could just as well host a minecraft world with it.

*whistles innocently*
upload_2015-4-6_11-6-25.jpeg

Preview

NOCK

Jul 29, 2019
Ah my bad, when I said buy a server, I meant rent from creeperhost or whatever haha. Won't be buying dedicated hardware.

I've actually decided to use Infinity over DW. I have 16GB Ram and an i7, I could probably run the server with hamachi or whatever the hell, but would just rather pay for something that always works.
Hopefully I cleared that up

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
An MC server doesn't need that much RAM. If it's only the two of you playing then 1 GB might even be sufficient. 2 GB should be plenty.

Reactions: NOCK

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
For a server for two people, 1-2 GB should be plenty of RAM. :) Even for packs like Infinity and Direwold20 that should do the trick without a hitch. :) and if 2GB doesn't quite cut it, you'll easily be able to upgrade your server to a higher-tier package anyway. :)

Reactions: NOCK

NOCK

Jul 29, 2019
Well I went with the $10 Creeperhost server. Trying to set everything up. Their control panel is weird. Much prefer FTP.

Anyone have recommendations for config? Like I used to go through all the biomes from BoP and only do the ones I liked, nerf gregtech etc,
whats new in Infinity that I should look at customizing?

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Well I went with the $10 Creeperhost server. Trying to set everything up. Their control panel is weird. Much prefer FTP.

Anyone have recommendations for config? Like I used to go through all the biomes from BoP and only do the ones I liked, nerf gregtech etc,

Well I've never hosted from Creeperhost, but I imagine that will be ok, and if you need a bit more, getting an upgraded package shouldn't be hard. :)

On the subject of configs, all I did myself was edit BoP as you said, and added extrabiomes. The pack honestly works well enough without any serious adjustments, and there aren't any mods that seriously affect the balance of other mods in the way gregtech does. So unless you have very specific needs, you shouldn't need to do anything. :)

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019

Just start playing, when something irritates you then change it/remove it/add it.

Infinity is really stable and works really well, customization will entirely be down to personal choice.