What do you guys think of soul shards 2?

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on soul shards 2! I'd like to hear discussion of what makes it better or worse, and what has changed etc and just get a friendly discussion of it going on :)

What do you think of it? What do you like or not like about it from it going from soul shards 1 to 2.

Post below and thank you for taking your time to read my post.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Dislikes:
*The new cost of the items. By requiring vanilla spawners to yield the essence that you need for crafting all of the items in SC2, means in an online environment people will be fighting for s scarce resource. Not so much on a SSP but still a hassle when you consider some mobs takes up to 5 essence to make a soul shard out of it.
*it is now a vanilla spawner with the capability to be affected by redstone signal. Spawn rate, light level affecting spawning, distance away from spawner, etc.
*no way to upgrade it for better effects.
* at least you could still make spawners out of mobs that doesn't comes with regular spawners

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Dislikes:
*The new cost of the items. By requiring vanilla spawners to yield the essence that you need for crafting all of the items in SC2, means in an online environment people will be fighting for s scarce resource. Not so much on a SSP but still a hassle when you consider some mobs takes up to 5 essence to make a soul shard out of it.
Can't you make vanilla spawners with Dartcraft?

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
They're only marginally useful to me anymore since they're basically vanilla spawners you can stick a lever to. If you didn't have to be so close for it to run, I wouldn't even mind it being so slow. Only really useful for mobs that don't normally have spawners, otherwise I'll just move a vanilla one somewhere convenient

Can't you make vanilla spawners with Dartcraft?
No, but you can move them around. And a vanilla spawner with redtsone-controlled light around it is as good as a SS2 spawner and much cheaper

Reactions: PierceSG

Protocurity

Jul 29, 2019
Probably the biggest issue I have with souls shards 2 at the moment is that it crashes my game any time I try to break a soul cage.

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
They're only marginally useful to me anymore since they're basically vanilla spawners you can stick a lever to. If you didn't have to be so close for it to run, I wouldn't even mind it being so slow. Only really useful for mobs that don't normally have spawners, otherwise I'll just move a vanilla one somewhere convenient

No, but you can move them around. And a vanilla spawner with redtsone-controlled light around it is as good as a SS2 spawner and much cheaper

You've been able to make spawners with Dartcraft for a while now.

And I dislike the "new" Soul Shards for mush the same reasons that have already been said. I'll stick to Dartcraft/MFR for my spawning needs.

Reactions: PierceSG

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
You've been able to make spawners with Dartcraft for a while now.
Huh, guess I missed that since I don't really use Dartcraft for anything but the wrench. I'll have to look into that if it's cheaper than SS2 spawners

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I do like the new one from what I have seen, haven't used it though >.> I used the old soul shards and as much as I "enjoyed" the power, came to realize that the unlimited resources was... unbalanced for gameplay. The new version looks less grindy for less reward. There are alternatives though so as much as some people like it, and some people don't, we all have options (as is the way of the modding community) :)

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
Huh, guess I missed that since I don't really use Dartcraft for anything but the wrench. I'll have to look into that if it's cheaper than SS2 spawners

Not sure about cheaper, it's easier to get as you don't have to run around finding spawners. Functionality wise SS2 is slightly better since you can switch them off. Personally tho I pretty much only use DartCraft for the clipboard.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, I liked soul shards 1 much better, it had a pretty big cost, but you know what?
It gave you something good in return

Although this time they got it right in putting the redstone toggle on every cage instead of the highest one only

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, I liked soul shards 1 much better, it had a pretty big cost, but you know what?
It gave you something good in return

Although this time they got it right in putting the redstone toggle on every cage instead of the highest one only

I agree with you there, however I didn't really like the grind-fest SS1 was. Sure the end tier was completely OP but the way to balance that better would be to slow down the spawns rather then remake the mod into garbage.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I mean, I wouldn't mind the slow spawn. I like the fact you can control it with redstone signal. But I do not like the cost and absolutely dislike the fact where you need to be near it. It is now working exactly like vanilla spawners except that you can control it with redstone signal, which you could control it with light level instead with vanilla spawners.
If the author added upgrades you can do to allow you to not being in the immediate vicinity, but still within 128 blocks.

milkman

Jul 29, 2019
I mean, I wouldn't mind the slow spawn. I like the fact you can control it with redstone signal. But I do not like the cost and absolutely dislike the fact where you need to be near it. It is now working exactly like vanilla spawners except that you can control it with redstone signal, which you could control it with light level instead with vanilla spawners.
If the author added upgrades you can do to allow you to not being in the immediate vicinity, but still within 128 blocks.

yea i agree with the 128 blocks idea, also a little boost in speed would not hurt either. for the simple fact you have to spend pretty decent amount of time getting spawners to break and some mobs need 5 to make one. so a little speed and block radios would not hurt.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
for me it's no longer a mod I'm interested in. I know the mod developer had all kinds of plans for the mod, but the only thing he's been doing the last few versions is constantly changing how you craft and gather soul shards. I've now moved to other mob spawning mechanics which I prefer more then Soul Shards.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Right now, I'm sticking with MFR. Hasn't failed me yet. Powering it with a vanilla Blaze spawner right now all thanks to DC's Force Wrench, which I've yet to play with it since Unleashed 1.1.3, any major changes? I noticed I have to fill the wrench with liquid force via the Force Infuser, so is there any ways to get renewable force without Forestry around?

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
The fact that you can turn them on and off, for me, is a useless functionality. Seeing as you have to be withing the vanilla spawning area I will never build a trap anywhere where I won't be going to specifically for that.

Combining it with any mods that adds a lot of spawners (TC4) makes getting essence trivial at best. I didn't have SS installed when I started playing 1.6.4 minecraft but I never destroy spawners, I only disable them, so once I installed it I just went and took out all the cave spider spawners under the greatwood trees.

The requirement of needed to be within vanilla spawner range almost makes the mod itself useless for me. It does allow me to make a more efficient vanilla xp trap (the only thing I use spawners for is xp farms) but that is only marginally better than setting up a xp trap at a random spawner I find.

In it's current development I am doubtful that I will ever use it beyond this world.