What could I use as a substitute for ChickenChunks?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
ChickenChunks crashes the game if I attempt to use a Particle Accelerator (from Resonant Induction Atomic (formerly Atomic Science). I disabled ChickenChunks and now the game has stopped crashing.
I need either a fix for the conflict or a substitute for ChickenChunks, because I need something to load my chunks. I was using the Spot Loader which loaded individual chunks and didn't require energy or materials to run, so I'm looking for something like that. Also, what else am I losing (besides chunk loaders) by uninstalling ChickenChunks?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Most modpacks seems to go with Immibis's Dimensional Anchor. It is apparently a more stable and lean version.

It does what it is supposed to, but you wont get the same polished game experience as you did from using the ChickenChunks loaders. The overlay showing loaded chunks is practically useless IMO. I sure do miss the "lasers" and the /chunkloaders map :p

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly much prefer Dimensional Anchors. Not only are they less expensive to build (which I consider a major plus as I can go exploring early game and still have trees and crops grow, and my furnaces cooking, as well as having non-square areas loaded by having several without having to make spotloaders), but ever since I started using them I've never had to deal with those big swaths of missing chunks that I used to get.

Granted, I use Opis, so Mapwriter is my mini-map of choice, and it tells me the loaded chunks much better than anything else I've ever encountered.

Reactions: RedBoss and asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Also, what else am I losing (besides chunk loaders) by uninstalling ChickenChunks?

Nothing, as far as I'm aware. In addition to previously mentioned Dim Anchor, there's also the Railcraft Personal Anchor (3x3 chunk area) and World Anchor (not sure, maybe 5x5 chunk area for this one?) - however, by default config, those require the user to insert ender pearls in order for them to operate, so that's a significant operating cost for those, even in single player (which I disagree with, it should always be free to load base chunks in single-player!).

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The default is only to use ender pearls because server operators are usually not the type to bother with configs.

They're not that hard to change. There's a stupid expensive chunk loading option from MFR, but it's so obnoxiously expensive, I've never used it so I don't know how configurable it is.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
1. Use the vanilla spawn chunks. A 16x16 chunk area is kept loaded at all times while there is at least one player in the overworld around the world spawn. Spawn chunks have some limitations, namely items that require "random ticks" don't get them, so randomish things such as tree and crop growth do not occur. Other than that, spawn chunk's will run most machines

2. Railcraft anchors or dimensional anchors are technically superior to chicken chunks in many ways on servers as the player craftable chunkloaders only load their chunks while the owning player is online.

3. Build craft quarries. Witchery Poppit tables, and Ender IO dimensional transceivers all load chunks. Additionally, Ender IO has implicit chunkloading behaviours: Dimensional Transceivers will load their own chunks, and the entire Ender IO conduit network will also be loaded. You do not need any chunk loaders if you are piping items using transceivers into a Ender IO automated facility, as long as you can make sure that all non ender IO devices there are completely contained in chunks that contain EnderIO bits.

4. Given a loaded chunk, Injecting items into nearby chunks using hoppers will load those chunks. Also buildcraft pipes carrying items work this way. Starting from a known loaded chunk (such as a working quarry), all the items flowing through buildcraft's pipes back to a processing facility will load all chunks along the way. Careful placement of machines within chunks that are intersected by BC pipes will keep those machines operating.

Option 2 is the friendliest for server play. All the other options will strain the server TPS while the player is not online, potentially negatively effecting other players. This is why, especially on servers, chunkloading should be done with railcract personal anchors (configured to be fuel free) or world anchors - configured to consume a stack of fuel over a few hours, and with automatic input disabled. This setup limits the ability of players to use chunkloaders to negatively effect server performance long after they are done playing. How the impact of the other methods is controlled is up to the server operator.

Please don't be a dick and do any of those things on a public server.

Last edited:
Reactions: asb3pe

AndyMASH

Jul 29, 2019
Most modpacks seems to go with Immibis's Dimensional Anchor. It is apparently a more stable and lean version.

It does what it is supposed to, but you wont get the same polished game experience as you did from using the ChickenChunks loaders. The overlay showing loaded chunks is practically useless IMO. I sure do miss the "lasers" and the /chunkloaders map :p
Yes, that's what I went with. "but you wont get the same polished game experience as you did from using the ChickenChunks loaders" - yes, it's noticeable, but at least Dimensional Anchors doesn't conflict with my LHC.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Also, remember that option 4 ("ghost chunkloading") has a much bigger impact on server performance than the other options, as Minecraft's engine does not take it into account, unloading those chunks every 30 seconds only to reload them again a tick later. It's more optimal to place a permanent chunkloader in those areas than it is to leave it alone.

(Also, BC quarries can have chunkloading disabled and they will only work while all the chunks it is placed on are loaded.)

Reactions: rhn

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
In addition, if you're running a pack with FTB Utils, that mod has a built-in chunkloading feature that allows you to claim chunks and keep them loaded without even having to place any blocks in the world. Each player is limited to a certain number of chunks they can claim and a smaller number they can load, which is presumably configurable server-side.