What cool little thing have you discovered today?

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/what-cool-little-thing-have-you-discovered-today.44874/
There's always some nifty little thing I find out about a mod or item when building stuff, and none of them are really worth a thread in themselves. So let's just have one thread for all of them :p

Today I found out that a magnum torch doesn't disable vanilla mob spawners. So I can have my oreberry darkroom free of mobs while being right next to the mob grinder I made in my basement, free of the possibility of the torch interfering with my mob essence collecting :)

So what coolness have you found today?
I have been coming up with things that don't fit in the original thread as is so I finally decided to steal it. Clone it. Then place it in a place more suited to its altered state. The clone of the original post recides here. As with most clones it has its flaws.
There's always some nifty little thing I find out when I am working on something, and none of them are really worth a thread in themselves. So let's just have one thread for all of them :p

Today I found out "logitech download assistant" was extremely easy to uninstall. After reading about it being a absolute pain and their being no real way I had utterly given up on getting rid of it. Then ,this morning, I found a entry hidden in "Devices/Human Interface Devices" with a logitech label. I was randomly uninstalling stuff in a attempt to break my PC enough to have to reformat it. So I uninstalled this device and had windows 10 uninstall the driver software along with it.

Low and behold Logitech Download Assistant" is gone from the startup programs list in task manager.

So what coolness have you found today?

Last edited:

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
So I guess this is a non-minecraft(vanilla(lol) and modded) cool little things that you discovered today? You should probably link the original one in the "Source Version" spoiler.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, pretty much. Anything that could fit in Chat subsection but doesn't really need or want its own thread, and fits the parameters of parts of the original thread could possibly fit here.

Thanks, I linked to the original post of the original thread. The quote arrow would have led there too. The link will make it much more obvious this wasn't a spurt of originality on my part or anything, and give credit to the one deserving it.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I discovered that items in rimworld will go to the nearest place once dropped on an already occupied spot, even if the nearest spot is in undiscovered terrain.
(its the undiscovered terrain part that I discovered today, the rest I already knew)

did I use the thread correctly?

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered that items in rimworld will go to the nearest place once dropped on an already occupied spot, even if the nearest spot is in undiscovered terrain.
(its the undiscovered terrain part that I discovered today, the rest I already knew)

did I use the thread correctly?
I think so. Though I thought Rimworld was a book series. I will have to go look it up.

Yep. It doesn't look like minecraft. So that works.

I found out about something new today. There is a game called "Rimworld". Wikipedia has a ineresting article on its difficulty system and It is greenlit on steam.

Hit the 'default style' button in the bottom left corner. Its easier to see in blue :)
"Dark Style" choice of the two it gave me seemed to be the blue one. Think I might actually have to try this one out for a bit. Thanks for the info.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't know that there were text formatting codes on youtube.

If you place - on either side of a line of text it will strike it out. Even more fun is I found out how to do it on accident.

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
I forgot to post about this anyway:

I discovered Dolphin Browser, it's an awesome Android borwser that has Flash Support!

Didn't know that there were text formatting codes on youtube.

If you place - on either side of a line of text it will strike it out. Even more fun is I found out how to do it on accident.

Also * on either side of a line of text it will be bold, but if you write something like *bold *(notice the space), it won't be bold. I cannot remember how to do italic text tho

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I think I know where the sound engineers for Star Wars got their Jawa sounds from: a bunch of little kids all chattering away in German.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Homestuck
First few hundreds of pages I was like "Why people keep praising it? This thing makes no sense and goes nowhere".
But then it gained steam, and wow.
Oh god, Homestuck. A friend of mine from a roleplay forum introduced it to me a few years ago.

SirDoctorOfTardis

Jul 29, 2019
latest

Is based off of

Not

Like some of us thought.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
There are actually some fairly good online comic strips out there. This more then makes up for the fact that newspaper comics have gone downhill in the last twenty years. xkcd - fan wiki . There are even fansites thatss sole purpose is to analyze them. The link leads to one such fansite. The comic site it analyzes has links to lots of good comic sites, including NSFW ones. Which is why I don't link to it.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
If we're on comics, try Ugly Hill. It's run its course, but it was done by the same guy behind Krazy Larry. I used to comb the archives for Slurg facial expressions since most are gold.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I just discovered why forcing a program to redraw its window can be useful
stupid graphical glitches >_<

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I learnt I have no friends wait I have known that for a long time
I have friends. I just seen one of them last Friday at a clothing giveaway I was looking through. I might even be gaining another friend. She has started saying hi and using my name, it might be just to make sure I don't forget here name again. The other friend I got to see last October, I think. He was doing pretty good.

I like my friends. They are nice and keep their distance.