What comes after automation?

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been wondering for quite a while now, what's the endgame for FTB?

My entire base is automated, I have about 8 chests of ingots (2 of which are only iron ores) and I just seem to be getting more things to get resources faster as well as double my output. I just don't know what do do with it all. Sure I could try dumping some of it into beekeeping or railcraft, but what's the point when I have nowhere to go (I'm playing by myself)? I was thinking I could try making diamonds, but those requires flint and I can't really use my metals for it.

When I used to play (technic) with EE2 (let's not just argue about this) I could turn everything into RM blocks, and I could convert everything I had. Nowadays I can't really turn my iron into something I need, or lead into copper. What I'm trying to ask is, what are we supposed to empty all of our stuff into after we make huge quarries and have everything? I was thinking possibly Gregtech would be a good endgame, but I don't quite... like Gregtech.

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
With Thaumcraft I'm pretty sure you can turn any metal into any other metal.

Regarding the end-game, I really don't know. I haven't played much FTB so far anyway. But one thing I like to do is NOT to automate many things. If I do things manually, I kind of spend my time constructively you know? Instead of a quarry, I go caving for 3-4 hours. Instead of a Forestry wheat farm, I'll just tilt more soil.

I have to include a lot of Vanilla gameplay into my FTB (I don't know much about mods to automate many processes to begin with), otherwise I'll get extremely bored extremely fast.

Reactions: DanteGalileo

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. The old kit is everything trap.
It always happens when one tries out a tonne of new mods it seems.
Next step is a new map where you do a themed build thingy.
Steampunk/mad inventor is quite in vouge it seems. and those builds look kinda cool too. so why not hit the wave and do something like that?

Reactions: Chocorate

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. The old kit is everything trap.
It always happens when one tries out a tonne of new mods it seems.
Next step is a new map where you do a themed build thingy.
Steampunk/mad inventor is quite in vouge it seems. and those builds look kinda cool too. so why not hit the wave and do something like that?
Thanks, I might actually try to make an entire city/airship with only the things I have in my current world. And maybe even make it into a pseudo-adventure map.

Squidgen

Jul 29, 2019
That is the point when you start screwing around with mods you don't normally use. You can get a begening set up in a few minutes, and if you end up not liking it, oh well, you have several chests of ores to fall back on

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
automate ALL the things?

... all the things?

Automated power gen (mj), automated power gen (eu), automated power gen (kV).
Remote power gen (mj), remote power gen (eu), remote power gen (kV)
Automated mining (top down, vs 3 tunnel bores at key heights)
Automated Farming (plant)
Automated Animals (you can get twilight mods in the overworld too)
Automated MOB farming (via spawners and machines for non spawner possible mobs)
Automated resource conversion (gravel to flint machine, dirt maker, sand maker, basalt maker, centrifuge networks, electrolyzer networks)
Automated bee harvesting (and associated conversions to even more types)
Automated Scrapboxing (to get the last rare items)
Automated villager generation (to get the last category of rare items)

Then once you have these 'possible' you refine them until they can handle more and more.

Then you scale them up, until the unlimited EU is a constantly running fusion reactor and the remote EU is an ender chest of advanced lap packs.

The final key would to have the system detect "full" and phase down production on the things that can safely be let to run down (mob farms and tunnel bores) while the system maintains the parts that can't stop (boifuel to keep the boiler hot, flax farm and auto production to maintain the windmills, and H cells to keep the fusion hot, for example) as each resource filled the extra dimensional barrel.

This puts you in, essentially, creative mode and you must look at the ruined world, the devastation, the holes, the ruins, the cobblestone 9x9's everywhere... shouldn't step 1 be to fix the world?

Reactions: Randomsteve

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
automate ALL the things?

... all the things?

Automated resource conversion (gravel to flint machine, dirt maker, sand maker, basalt maker, centrifuge networks, electrolyzer networks)

Then once you have these 'possible' you refine them until they can handle more and more.

Then you scale them up, until the unlimited EU is a constantly running fusion reactor and the remote EU is an ender chest of advanced lap packs.

The final key would to have the system detect "full" and phase down production on the things that can safely be let to run down (mob farms and tunnel bores) while the system maintains the parts that can't stop (boifuel to keep the boiler hot, flax farm and auto production to maintain the windmills, and H cells to keep the fusion hot, for example) as each resource filled the extra dimensional barrel.

This puts you in, essentially, creative mode and you must look at the ruined world, the devastation, the holes, the ruins, the cobblestone 9x9's everywhere... shouldn't step 1 be to fix the world?

Lol this post is pretty epic.

I find myself constantly complaining about not having the materials to make the things I want exactly the way I want in the beginning, then once I finally get things automated enough I find that instead of not having anything to do like the OP (Which I believe may come from lack of experience with the different mods) I become overwhelmed with so many things that are possible to do, so many buildings, so many machines, so much stuff that it seems that you could never run out of things to do. And then by the time I think I have pretty much done everything my world is mega laggy from all the loaded chunks and machines, and there is a new version of Minecraft out with a new set of all the mods to take on all over again.

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't mind taking a look at those pictures. I love modded minecraft so much more then vanilla because there is technical things to do in a modded minecraft, in vanilla you got some mining and then pretty much just making things look nice. And to be quite honest I'm really not that great at making things look good, if I take time plan things out and really work at it then most the time I can come up with something decent, but never to the scale of some. I do however get a lot of inspiration and ideas out of pictures of what others have built. I really enjoy looking at something and see how differently other people approach things compared to how I would have.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Masturbation comes after automation.
Not literally but you do all the wanky things like build a floating island with RP2 kinetic gens around the entire outside of it themed to look somewhat like Bioshock Inifinite, then build an underwater city with breeding pens for every type of animal possible with fully automated breeding and processing, then go level an extreme biome (hills or jungle) and turn it into a version of Dante's Inferno, all of this is just because you can. Or if none of that floats your boat start again, but limit yourself in some very significant way e.g. don't use any IC2 or TE for processing of ores,another would be to find an odd mod that you like the look of and build an entire world around it's premise, basically the only limit on what to do after you've automated everything is just how good you are at wanking around and wasting time :D

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
See if you can automate crop production using frames instead of forestry.

If you're on a server, build an automatic trading station with trade-o-mats and redpower.
If you know what you're doing, you can sell power/energy as well as items.​
Also build a communal IC2/TE machine room, with a system to take money and dispense a set amount of power per credit.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Something I've always wanted to do is make my entire base a giant frame machine, including ore processing, animal and plant farms, energy generation, the whole 9 yards.

Kyre

Jul 29, 2019
Construct a gigantic base / castle where every single wall is a MFFS force field. This will require a LOT of power to keep going constantly. You can make cool things such as areas where only specific people are allowed in them - see the last few episodes of direwolf20's Season 3 SMP Let's Play for an example. Or have the walls / floors materialize around people as they walk towards them using player detectors or tripwires.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Hmm, seems a common theme on many servers is Nukes and Blowing Up the World after everything is automated...

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
Generally, the idea after you've got everything automated is to

a. Build it bigger.
b. Build it in a more compact fashion.
c. Build it in a more aesthetically pleasing way.
d. Use the resources you have to build something new, from scratch. Try for something unique and aestheticaly pleasing, yet technically impressive. :)

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
automate ALL the things?

... all the things?

Thanks for the idea! I should start messing around in RedPower, seeing as I haven't really touched that. And come to think of it, I'm really tired of having stairs in my base when i could have elevators/platforms.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
end game with packs like FTB is different for each person.
one person wants to make more contraptions while the other wants to make things more compact. one person wants to make it look better looking, while the other just wants to see millions of items going through tubes.
there have been several comments already on things you can do now, I would also like to suggest to make a new mystcraft age, and start completely from the beginning in that age (you do ofcourse need to make sure you get the symbols you want)
so instead of starting a new world, you can just make a new age and start from there.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
There's always more that can be done with automation, though maybe not by you. big group efforts like the cubehamster server produce basic redstone advances regularly... why shouldn't players of FTB be able to do the same, right?

So once we have resources, why not, eh?

Reactions: Chocorate

Excalibur42

Jul 29, 2019
I can't even stick to a world long enough to have basic machines automated...but if I were you, um...do all of the above.