What are the Worst crimes you have done in FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

XMrPotatoX

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice, I have yet to actually smelt villagers down, but it appeared as if emerald was generated per damage not per dead villager, could one create something like the ritual of regeneration (or other mob regen effect) to keep the villagers alive? So instead of wanton slaughter you would just be perpetually melting them and then healing the damage? Also does anyone know if the damage caused by the smelter gets attributed to the player? I have had some issues in the past with villages/golems remembering ... things and making life there annoying.

I don't know too much about the Blood Magic mod, but it is possible to get emeralds out of just one villager. I was using Splash Potions of Healing II and if one is applied to the villager every time its damaged it should stay alive for as long as you can keep giving it potions. It's not the best method, but if you're dead set on using only one villager its one way do it.

Edit: I now think this is the worst thing I've done...68 potions and 1 villager gave me about 4 1/2 Emeralds
rmH9dH0.png

Last edited:

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
What about putting the attractors under the Smeltery, and flipping them to repell after a certain amount of time? Is it possible to flip their state with redstone, or is it manual only? If this works, you could hook up a clock to flip the attractors and push the villagers out of the Smeltery, allowing them to heal.
Can work, requires a roof and/or vines/ladders to reset fall distance. If you don't have a roof villagers bob about and collect fall damage so they splat when they hit even if it's not that far of a drop. A roof eliminates this problem (or at least significantly reduces it). A fall damage reset like vines would also eliminate bobbing to death seems necessary if you send them up too high.

Setup layer-cake is now:
glass roof
glass
wood/ladders(or just glass if you don't want the fall reset)
smeltery wall
smeltery wall
smeltery floor
ritual of
corporeal attractor (need to right clock to set to repel mode which is red)
timer(needs tinkering)

Editing is fun
I don't know too much about the Blood Magic mod, but it is possible to get emeralds out of just one villager. I was using Splash Potions of Healing II and if one is applied to the villager every time its damaged it should stay alive for as long as you can keep giving it potions. It's not the best method, but if you're dead set on using only one villager its one way do it.

Edit: I now think this is the worst thing I've done...68 potions and 1 villager gave me about 4 1/2 Emeralds

Looked into splash potions of healing, you would need a lot of them and all you are really doing is converting gunpowder, gold, melons, netherwart, and glass into emeralds. It would be an interesting challenge to make enough potions to keep a villager alive indefinitely and all the materials are technically renewable with mods.

Last edited:

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
I found that with a ceiling the fall reset was really unnecessary, I include it only for completeness since it was something discovered while playing around with this setup. I was also kinda experimenting while typing it up, so bits kinda came into it half way through. 2 layers of smeltery and 2 of glass/other material with a roof on top means they fall only 2 blocks and the bobbing does not occur so you don't get fall damage.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I found that with a ceiling the fall reset was really unnecessary, I include it only for completeness since it was something discovered while playing around with this setup. I was also kinda experimenting while typing it up, so bits kinda came into it half way through. 2 layers of smeltery and 2 of glass/other material with a roof on top means they fall only 2 blocks and the bobbing does not occur so you don't get fall damage.

Ok, so it is possible to lift the villagers out with the attractor, correct? If so, I think I just found my new emerald farm.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so it is possible to lift the villagers out with the attractor, correct? If so, I think I just found my new emerald farm.
Very possible just put a roof and walls in. Now I just need to figure out a timer system. And install damage indicators or whatever so I can monitor villager health better.

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Very possible just put a roof and walls in. Now I just need to figure out a timer system. And install damage indicators or whatever so I can monitor villager health better.

If you can fully develop a system through this that works as an emerald farm without killing the villager, mind letting me know the specifics on the timing and other other issues that may arise? I'd be interesting in seeing how you pull it off.

XMrPotatoX

Jul 29, 2019
If you can fully develop a system through this that works as an emerald farm without killing the villager, mind letting me know the specifics on the timing and other other issues that may arise? I'd be interesting in seeing how you pull it off.
So I just made a machine that uses only one villager, but it still uses potions to heal the villager. Is there a more efficient way to heal them that I haven't found yet?

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah, beacons only work on players. Main reason I made the Ritual of Regen, other than how kick-ass it looks (I still like the looks of the Mark of the Falling Tower more, but I'm a little biased about falling space debris).
This is why everyone loves way. Cause he has giant space debris

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Ended up using Computercraft for the timer.
edit startup with this timer, this assumes the attractor is on the left:
Code:
while true do
rs.setOutput("left",true)
os.sleep(40)
rs.setOutput("left",false)
os.sleep(12)
end

My first expedition into the realms of CC so it can probably be improved, but don't mess with the timing, this shaves it darned close. If you want to feel safer increase the first sleep and decrease the second. I put a piece of redstone pointing at a block below the attractor although the redstone is probably not necessary. I did this below the attractor because I worried that a direct signal might deactivate the ritual.
I lost a few villagers in testing because CC seemed to be taking naps and not rebooting properly, hit the reboot command and it seemed to skip the first line so it was sleep 40 turn off sleep12 then turn on. ah well, to fix just have an override lever attached to the block beneath the attractor.

you could probably use this timer for any meltable entity you wanted to farm like iron golems for iron. Heck, throw in a witch(in another smeltery without fancy timers and such) and you've got a pigiron farm.

EDIT: Attempts at pictures:
Full view
2014-02-04_16.49.57.png
Underneath
2014-02-04_16.50.11.png

Last edited:

The classless

Jul 29, 2019

rmH9dH0.png

Ahh using the natives of another world to advance your stocks of wealth that my friend is truly american

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@hiroshi42 Thanks for posting that, it'll help me get started with creating an emerald facility and helped clear up some general questions.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Uh, a little something. Since splash potions have a little area of effect, wouldn't it be more efficient to pack the smeltery as full of villagers as you can? Then, after they all have taken some damage, throw a potion and they all get healed.
I'm pretty sure AM2 casters have been already mentioned as well, but I don't think it hurts to suggest them again. Just use a beam/projectile AoE/zone heal/regen/both. Or an autonomous activator with a staff.

Reactions: Padfoote

XMrPotatoX

Jul 29, 2019
Well now that @hiroshi42 has posted his design mine seems like overkill but here it is. I don't have Blood Magic installed and I try not to use CC too much, so this is the monster I came up with. It uses a hopper timer, a pulse multiplier and a pulse counter. Its fully automatic but requires an infinite supply of potions. It will keep the one villager alive for as long as I can supply potions.
odt5PLG.png

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
i wonder if witchs count as villagers?... i mean they look like villagers.. and they heal themselves..