What are the most essential mods a mod pack could have? (in you opinions)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

L0neGamer

Jul 29, 2019
What would everyone consider the most important mod/s? and perhaps a ranking for the top ten or so.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
1. Forge

Other than that, there's really no essential mods. Although NEI and such utilities can be nice, they're not needed. A pack's essential mods depend on the pack itself. Blood Magic works well for Running Red, but could never fit well into ME^3. I mean, look at the differences between Magic World and Tech World. Completly different sets of mods. Aside from Forge, there's really no mod that is essential to every pack.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
You caught me out there... How about mods that add content in-game?
Still depends on the pack. Enviromine might work well in Crash Landing, but it would never fit in well with TolkienCraft II. ThaumCraft might work in Agrarian Skies, but it won't work in Tech World. There's no mods that are essential. Everything varies based on the pack.

L0neGamer

Jul 29, 2019
From scratch then... Imagine you have a newly created mods folder in minecraft, and NEI is already there, what would you install first?

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
From scratch then... Imagine you have a newly created mods folder in minecraft, and NEI is already there, what would you install first?
Blood Magic, BloodUtils, Sanguimancy, and Blood Arsenal. But that's just me. I doubt it applies to very many other people.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Blood Magic, BloodUtils, Sanguimancy, and Blood Arsenal. But that's just me. I doubt it applies to very many other people.

For basic "fun" modpacks (i.e. not that difficult) its always Thermal Expansion and Tinkers Construct and whatever mod does the EnderTanks, and I'd have to add Ender IO but just because of the RF conduits since TE is still dropping the ball on those.

Of course, if I'm in a GregTech mood, then I'd give a completely different answer because all of those mods would kinda duplicate the GT experience to some degree or other and are thus really not necessary (or desired).

L0neGamer

Jul 29, 2019
As a general thing, would DW20 + Gregtech be everyone's best buddy? or is there stuff i'm missing?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
All packs should have some form of GregTech in them* in order to be considered a legitimate, half-decent pack. For clarification: GregTech belongs in all packs; if they don't have it, then those packs are objectively inferior and unplayable. This is true of Crash Landing, Magic Farm, DireWolf20, whatever: those packs would become "real" packs by adding GregTech to them.

*The author of this reply recognizes that he is delusional and that instigating flame wars isn't really necessary, even on Mondays. The above statement is fiction intended purely to annoy. Please do not feel obligated to respond, because he'll most likely just lulz at you, if you didn't already suffer a stroke by reading the above.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Every modpack must have bees. BEEEEEEES!!!
(Gendustry would be nice, too.)

Modpacks are really a matter of preference. For instance, my friends and I avoid exceedingly grindy or hardcore packs/mods because we all work and have little time to play, but these packs/mods seem to be gaining in popularity among other crowds. Instead we go for an odd mix of mods we consider fun (some not in any FTB packs such as Flansmod, littlemaidmob, etc.) Everyone likes different things. FTB packs are nice because usually there's something for everyone, but making a "one pack fits all" is really difficult.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Applied energies tics. No matter the theme.

I used to think that AE would spoil the sorting systems but I got so annoyed opening multiple chests to get some items for crafting. In tech packs it runs off rf. in magic packs you can use it's vibration chambers with charcoal or lava crystals...

Ultimately, if your goal is building, not just machines but pretty structures, AE is absolutely critical to storing the materials you will need.

Last edited:

L0neGamer

Jul 29, 2019
I've always been a more tech kind of guy, but are there any modpacks that bridge the realm between tech and magic well?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
DartCraft, is in my opinion, an essential for me. I use DartCraft in all my personal packs(even if they largely are Technomancy style packs).
I've always been a more tech kind of guy, but are there any modpacks that bridge the realm between tech and magic well?
One or two, yeah. One is FTB Ultimate.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
One or two, yeah. One is FTB Ultimate.
I wasn't sure how to say "basically all of them?" I guess he did say "bridge..well"

LoneGamer: InfiTech2 marries hardcore Gregtech to ThaumCraft amazingly well, particularly since greg himself is fond of TC4 and has added a ton of interactive stuff.

But it also has all the things in it you hate about gregtech, so I suspect its not for you.

Reactions: Wagon153

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
The BackWoods mod is the #(< thats a number sign not a dam stupid hashtag) 1 most essential mod out there.

Sent from my flux armor using the tappatalk app from the flux store

capSAR273

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with many here that no mod is absolutely required (except Forge etc). Personally I'd add Pam's HarvestCraft, Botania, Compact Machines, Chisel, and Mr. Crayfish's Furniture Mod to most modpacks, since they don't include them usually. I must have many kinds of delicious food :D

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
Once you get more than 1 or 2 small content mods, I would call NEI (or similar) essential. Beyond that it is all a mater of personal preference, & opinions vary wildly. A large, general pack is great for figuring out which mods you like & which you don't, but once you know, I think a smaller, tailored pack is better for long term gameplay (or relatively short play with something like AgSkies or ME^3).

Unless you are trying to set up a public server, don't worry about making a pack that will please everyone, because you can't. Think about the specific things you want to be able to do & how easy or hard you want it to be to get to that point, then compare the mods that add those features.

Reactions: L0neGamer

Crhymez

Jul 29, 2019
Currently my Go to mod is Ender IO
It has soooo many features.
Ore procesing , Mob grinders, Farms, Mob spawners....ect