What Am I doing Wrong? Sorting.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Clearly marked brown. Not going to Brown?
WTF?

Someone plz enlighten me!

Arakasiii

Jul 29, 2019
Could be wrong but its reading the sorting machine as a valid inventory thats closer then brown barrel. Defining a colour only stops other colours going through, doesn't make a brown go through it. If u moved the sorting machine further to the left u should be good.

At least 2 spots, or 1 spot and add a restriction tube on right hand side of sorter if you want it compact

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having a similar kind of problem with my set up.
Try running the tube from the ender chest to the top right corner (above the barrels) maybe this will sort it.
And maybe place a restriction tube between the second sorter and the barrels.

silenos

Jul 29, 2019
they are doing what they are supposed to: going to the nearest inventory... your brown line is two blocks too far. To solve this you could move the sorting machine either 2 blocks to the left and connect it with regular tubes or move it onr block left and put a restriction tube in front of it.

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
can anyone clarify if the "closest inventory" side of things is done on direct distance (as the crow flies) or via the tube network?

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
distance is meassured as the number of tubes an item has to go through to reach it's distination

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
Another solution that works quite well is haveing a restriction tube (the one made with a tube +iron) right before the next sorter.
Or used the mode in the first sorter that colours thing that doesnt fit any of the option to some other colour that the next accepts

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I would move the sorting machine one block away, and paint the pipe before it a "default item" colour, and configure the first sorting machine to paint unknown items the same colour. That way everything has a colour, and only one way it can all go. (The 2nd sorting machine will recolour your items according to the settings).

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
I'm getting there with my sorting system, I find it odd that there are no roll-over tips for the different modes in the sorting machine, the pictures aren't exactly clear as to what each mode does.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I'm getting there with my sorting system, I find it odd that there are no roll-over tips for the different modes in the sorting machine, the pictures aren't exactly clear as to what each mode does.

I had issues before with colours, eg magenta, pink and purple. I painted the tubes a different colour from the one I had selected, because I couldn't tell which I had actually selected. I think eventually I found a list of the order in which they appear, which helped tremendously. Haven't come across the same issue recently, but I do only have one sorting machine so far in my current world... and about a million managers.

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
It's more the mode selection side of things for me, what each mode does etc.
I need to read up a little more. I've watched direwolf setting things up in his videos, but he tends to go a little quick.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
If you're using barrels, you don't need colors at all- barrels will only accept one type of item, and tubes are smart enough to never put items into the wrong barrels. Just re-routing the tube from the first sorter into the right end of the barrels, placing a tube on top of each barrel, and leaving the second sorter at the right should solve all your problems. Or, as mentioned before, restriction tubes count as a tube that's about 5000 blocks long (I think), so you could move the second sorter one block back and place a restriction tube in front of it.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks all. Sorted. I just moved the pipe that feeds the barrels down to the end. Eventually I will have barrels or chests all along that wall with a sorter every seven barrels or so. Will just have to remember to keep moving the feed tube to the end.

Thanks Again.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
It's important to understand that item coloring in RP2 doesn't guide path-ing, it restricts path-ing. An uncolored object ignores all colors. A colored object cannot pass through any other color but its own, or uncolored things. Finally, objects try each possible destination in order from closest via the tube network to furthest.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Updated Sorting System now working well. Thanks again for the ideas/suggestions. Going to stick with the painted tubes just because it looks cool. :)

I can see this Room getting bigger and bigger. First one was of course to sort anything that comes from a Quarry. So need to add one more set for the TC shards. Oh cobble/dirt and gravel are all heading to recyclers for scrap.