What 1.7.10 Gregtech Based Pack as starting point?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
B

Boldar

Hi,
i am in the process of finding a new pack to play.
In fact, i am looking for a pack i can use as base that i can modify for my needs.
I will play it on my own small server with maybe 3-4 players max.
I did that in the past several times, and mostly used Resurrection as a starting point. I do in fact have some experience with building/modifying packs, but the process of fixing the config regarding oregen has always been tedious, and it had already happened in the past that i missed something and only noticed well into the pack that some ore was broken.
But Resurrection seems to be severely outdated now (for over 3 years), and even though i could (and would have to) of course patch everything manually, that would be some work.
So -
what options are there for a GT Based pack? I am looking for a pack WITHOUT quests or too tightly modified configs. I did play GT:NH as my last pack, and now deliberately want something different, where i can freely choose which mod to pursue.
Regarding mods, Gregtech (likely GT5u) is must have, and i also want to have the following mods:
- The whole Thermal dynamics family
- Buildcraft
- forestry + addons
- some biome mod and maybe ATG
- Botania
- Reikas mods
- Draconic evolution
- extra utilities
- Tinkers + Iguanas (+natura)
- Thaumcraft + full set of addons
- AE2
- Twilight Forest
- Witchery
- Steve Carts
- some Redstone mod (which one is the one to use there? I had Bluepower in the past)
- Some Dekorative mods

Considering Gregtech is the most intrusive/biggest (regarding oregen etc) mod, it seems easiest to get a pack where it is already in and add the rest.
So what options do i have there? Most of the GT packs seem to be heavy "questing" packs, or at least packs where gt is the core of the pack, and while i did enjoy that in GT:NH, i now want a pack where i can pursue many different ways at once and don't have that much gated content.

Thanks in advance for answers,
Boldar.

Edit:
I also want a solid oregen where i can have a mining world (i used aroma's in the past), to avoid overworld clutter.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Gregtech for 1.10.2 doesn't really exist.

About the closest you get is the https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/gregtech-5-unofficial]Unofficial Port which hasn't been worked on in a year and a half and ended up in Beta form.

Iguana's Tinker Tweaks also doesn't exist in 1.10.2 because of how Tinkers changed in 1.8. Most of the Iguanas changes were either adopted or changes prevented it from being realistic. I think in 1.12.2 someone came out with a Tinkers addon which provides much the same leveling concept, but not in 1.10

Witchery does not exist after 1.7.10, full stop. And is closed source, so don't expect it any time soon.

'The whole thermal dynamics family' is now referred to as the CoFH Suite, and would obviate GregTech and defeat the purpose. Also, as part of the CoFH Suite is CoFH World which is the most widely used worldgen mod at this time.

It's pretty clear you've been playing with 1.7.10 a bunch, and wanting to move on to 1.10.2, but that jump is going to come with a ton of mechanical changes both in vanilla and in the mods themselves.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You might be best off building your own pack. It's not desparately hard. Go to the Twitch Launcher and Create a custom profile then start adding the mods. Twitch will grab any libraries or other background dependencies automatically. Then it's just play testing to see if it's all going to work, or if it'll explode.

B

Boldar

Sorry, i did not make that clear - i know it has to be 1.7.10.
I just had the hope that there must be some more recent 1.7.10 gt pased back, as with resurrection i would not only have to patch everything (not that big of a problem), but also fix and check all the config (oregen etc.) and i hate that because when doing that i tend to miss something crucial and only notice later on. I once played a world, where, by mistake, every ocean ended up to be a mushroom biome, and only noticed after considerably playtime...
But i guess i have to do it all from zero then...

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I highly recommend the modpack "Fear The Night" which is a fork off of the "Infitech 2" modpack. FTN is found on Twitch, it was created by EconBrony and he is still updating the modpack when necessary. It's v1.7.10 minecraft with the "Unofficial" version of Gregtech version 5, known as "GT5u". If you've played the original Infitech 2 modpack, that had the regular version of GregTech 5. The "Unofficial" version adds more multiblock machines and greatly increases the complexity of making various GT circuits.

Fear The Night is easily my favorite modpack, because I've always been a big fan of GregTech modpacks, and I think GT5u is the best version of GregTech by far. It is awesome. But as I'm sure you know, a GregTech-based modpack is not only difficult but extremely time-consuming. Fear The Night gets its name from the addition of a mod called "Lycanites Mobs" which adds a lot of peaceful and hostile mobs to the world. As you might expect from the modpack name, a few of the new mobs will spawn whenever it is dark... so make sure you use that F7 key and use many torches to light up all those red X's around your base! However, the darkness-spawning mobs can also be useful at times, since they will drop ender pearls and obsidian which might come in handy along the way.

There's also another v1.7.10 GregTech modpack that a lot of people play, called "New Horizons", also on Twitch. However that modpack uses a different oregen, where not all ores can be found in the overworld. FTN modpack uses the standard GT oregen that I love so much.

Yeah, the game might run a bit smoother in v1.12.2 modpacks, but v1.7.10 has GregTech and that's all that matter to me really. I've even tried out the newer GregTech v6 and I didn't like it as much. GT5u is the best GregTech, and that means v1.7.10 modpacks with GT5u will always be rated #1 all-time best modpacks in my opinion anyways.

B

Boldar

As i said above, GT:New Horizons is what i was playing last, but as the next server will be with other people, i want something less questy.
Fear the Night sounds interesting, that might make a good base to add mods to, thanks. Do you know how hard it is customized? So, are all the other mods there dependent on Gregtech progress like in GT:NH?
I think i will definitely play around with it a bit.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
As i said above, GT:New Horizons is what i was playing last, but as the next server will be with other people, i want something less questy.
Fear the Night sounds interesting, that might make a good base to add mods to, thanks. Do you know how hard it is customized? So, are all the other mods there dependent on Gregtech progress like in GT:NH?
I think i will definitely play around with it a bit.

The full modpack name is "Infitech 2: Fear The Night", which should give you the idea right there (unless you never played Infitech 2 modpack, of course). All EconBrony did was take the Infitech 2 modpack as the base starting point (it is a third-party modpack in the FTB Launcher), and then he modified the pack from there by adding a few mods of his own preference (Lycanites Mobs being the most impactful one for gameplay), and then tweaking the pack further along the same idea/concept as Infitech 2 - modify all recipes to "gregtech level of difficulty". Its a very tough but, in my opinion, very fair modpack. Nothing is easy, everything is a bit of a grind in the finest tradition of GregTech... but it actually has end-game multiblock machines due to the updated GT5u mod package, which Infitech 2 never had. There are quite a few added multiblock machines, such as the "Large Diesel Engine" which became my favorite power source for mid-game use. And for end-game, if you can make it that far, there's the Fusion Reactor, the ultimate power generator in terms of both output and material requirements. :) It's a very stable pack, altho the server I played on kinda of bogged down after a year or two with quite a few players... but that's pretty normal for most modpacks. I definitely recommend trying it out, obv. :) Enjoy.