Werewolf: Convocation of Souls SIGNUP

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yay, feedback time. @RJS hook a brother up with some answers plz.
  • Does drunk seer know he's drunk?
  • Are "incorrect" roles from the drunk seer always incorrect? e.g. can we translate "Pyure is a bodyguard!" into "Pyure is definitely not a bodyguard" once we know the seer is drunk?
  • Interesting twist on the Lovers. I like it.
  • I almost love the star-crossed lovers thing, but unfortunately it means a wolf will/can be a traitor and its too easy for him to betray everyone on his team once he's a villager (goreae proved that "you're not allowed to reveal names" accomplishes nothing.)
  • Poltergeist: I assume you mean switch their roles. Is the switch permanent? (Also has the wolf/traitor problem)

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Yay, feedback time. @RJS hook a brother up with some answers plz.
  • Does drunk seer know he's drunk?
  • Are "incorrect" roles from the drunk seer always incorrect? e.g. can we translate "Pyure is a bodyguard!" into "Pyure is definitely not a bodyguard" once we know the seer is drunk?
  • Interesting twist on the Lovers. I like it.
  • I almost love the star-crossed lovers thing, but unfortunately it means a wolf will/can be a traitor and its too easy for him to betray everyone on his team once he's a villager (goreae proved that "you're not allowed to reveal names" accomplishes nothing.)
  • Poltergeist: I assume you mean switch their roles. Is the switch permanent? (Also has the wolf/traitor problem)
Edit is done.

In response to your questions:
  1. Where would the fun be in that? Of course the drunk seer doesn't know he's drunk.
  2. Yes, they are never correct. Yes you can use that.
  3. Why thank you kindly, sirrah.
  4. The reason goreae was so effective is because you had gathered a role claim from everyone who wasn't a wolf. We could look through the list of claims he provided from the convo, and pick out the people who weren't there. Hopefully the wolves will have learnt from your experience
  5. Spirits have no role. They literally just get to chat, make alliances etc. and also try and confuse everyone. The only exceptions to this are those who get poltergeist status, who gain the switching ability whilst remaining affiliated with a team, and the crow, who goes rogue as it were.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
In response to your questions:
  1. Where would the fun be in that? Of course the drunk seer doesn't know he's drunk.
  2. Yes, they are never correct. Yes you can use that.
Thanks and thanks.

1. The reason goreae was so effective is because you had gathered a role claim from everyone who wasn't a wolf. We could look through the list of claims he provided from the convo, and pick out the people who weren't there. Hopefully the wolves will have learnt from your experience
Goreae was also effective because the element that was supposed to theoretically block him from being overly effective actually had no blocking impact. But that's not really the point here. The main issue with having traitor wolves is that it deprecates the wolf convo itself, which is the primary contributor to the wolf strategy.

Speaking from experience, this will definitely break the game for the sucker wolves. And its not like there's any strategy or sub-game here with the wolves trying to isolate/work around traitor wolves, because they can appear (and disappear) at any point.

Spirits have no role. They literally just get to chat, make alliances etc. and also try and confuse everyone. The only exceptions to this are those who get poltergeist status, who gain the switching ability whilst remaining affiliated with a team, and the crow, who goes rogue as it were
Sorry if I was unclear here. My question was: do poltergeists take any two players and switch their roles? So if I'm a bodyguard and Vikestep is a wolf and Goreae is a poltergeist, Goreae says "Tonight I wanna switch Pyure and Vikestep", at which point I become a wolf and Vike becomes a bodyguard?
My question at that point was twofold:
1) Is that assessment correct?
2) Is that role-switch permanent for the rest of game (excluding another role-switch)

And also: I was again concerned about traitor wolves as a result.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks and thanks.

Goreae was also effective because the element that was supposed to theoretically block him from being overly effective actually had no blocking impact. But that's not really the point here. The main issue with having traitor wolves is that it deprecates the wolf convo itself, which is the primary contributor to the wolf strategy.

Speaking from experience, this will definitely break the game for the sucker wolves. And its not like there's any strategy or sub-game here with the wolves trying to isolate/work around traitor wolves, because they can appear (and disappear) at any point.

Sorry if I was unclear here. My question was: do poltergeists take any two players and switch their roles? So if I'm a bodyguard and Vikestep is a wolf and Goreae is a poltergeist, Goreae says "Tonight I wanna switch Pyure and Vikestep", at which point I become a wolf and Vike becomes a bodyguard?
My question at that point was twofold:
1) Is that assessment correct?
2) Is that role-switch permanent for the rest of game (excluding another role-switch)

And also: I was again concerned about traitor wolves as a result.
Ah right I see. It's not a role swap. It's a target swap. So in your example, if the wolves were trying to gank you that night, then Vike would die instead (unless he was the Alpha). Think the Transporter from ToS.

And I can see your concerns with the whole traitor wolf thing from Star crossed lovers, but it does have a fairly low chance of coming up.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ah right I see. It's not a role swap. It's a target swap. So in your example, if the wolves were trying to gank you that night, then Vike would die instead (unless he was the Alpha). Think the Transporter from ToS.

And I can see your concerns with the whole traitor wolf thing from Star crossed lovers, but it does have a fairly low chance of coming up.
oooooh I get it regarding poltergeist. Ok that makes sense. I was way off.

I'm sure this was obvious to some peeps but for stupid people like me would you mind clarifying it a bit?

One possibility: "Poltergeists may swap two targets around each night for the purpose of actions."

For the traitor thing: its got a really damn high chance of happening you dink. If you assume that the wolves always tend to kill off 50% of the players before end of game (conservative!), that's a 50% chance they'll hit the starcrossed lover and create a traitor as a result, who can immediately sell out all the wolves (via codenames, or always voting in such a way that its obvious they know who the wolves are)

Question: do starcrossed lovers know they're starcrossed?

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
For the traitor thing: its got a really damn high chance of happening you dink. If you assume that the wolves always tend to kill off 50% of the players before end of game (conservative!), that's a 50% chance they'll hit the starcrossed lover and create a traitor as a result
*pushes up glasses*

There are 17 signups at the time of writing. Assuming 3 of those will be wolves and 2 of them star-crossed lovers, which is a pretty reasonable assumption, there's just a 2/14 (or 1/7) chance that the wolves will hit an SCL randomly (provided our wolves are smart enough not to target each other). That's only a 14% chance.

That being math'd, I'm with Pyure on this one. The wolf convo should be kept 100% fanged and furry.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
*pushes up glasses*

There are 17 signups at the time of writing. Assuming 3 of those will be wolves and 2 of them star-crossed lovers, which is a pretty reasonable assumption, there's just a 2/14 (or 1/7) chance that the wolves will hit an SCL randomly (provided our wolves are smart enough not to target each other). That's only a 14% chance.
Uh you missed something einstein. I said before end of game, not on any given night :p

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Uh you missed something einstein. I said before end of game, not on any given night :p
Goddamn technical four words at the end of a sentence bullshit

We're doing this I swear to god.

Let's ignore the fact that wolves won't target each other, because that gives this a whole lot of outcomes with probability and stuff. No bueno.

There are 17 players. The absolute greatest amount of wolfkills that can occur is 8 (which, when paired with the daily lynch, would take us to one living player). Unlikely, but possible. The chance of randomly hitting an SCL on each night would be as follows:
  1. 2/17
  2. 2/15
  3. 2/13
  4. 2/11
  5. 2/9
  6. 2/7
  7. 2/5
  8. 2/3
Which means the chances of not randomly hitting an SCL would be:
  1. 15/17
  2. 13/15
  3. 11/13
  4. 9/11
  5. 7/9
  6. 5/7
  7. 3/5
  8. 1/3
You multiply that all together to get 0.0588. There's only a 5.88% chance to steer clear of SCL's when picking entirely randomly, in the longest game possible, where both lovers survive to the final day.

...So, uh, you may have a point.

Reactions: Lethosos and Pyure

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Shaz is more of a Nicholas Bohr, TBH.
57534924.jpg

Reactions: Lethosos

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Goddamn technical four words at the end of a sentence bullshit

We're doing this I swear to god.

Let's ignore the fact that wolves won't target each other, because that gives this a whole lot of outcomes with probability and stuff. No bueno.

There are 17 players. The absolute greatest amount of wolfkills that can occur is 8 (which, when paired with the daily lynch, would take us to one living player). Unlikely, but possible. The chance of randomly hitting an SCL on each night would be as follows:
  1. 2/17
  2. 2/15
  3. 2/13
  4. 2/11
  5. 2/9
  6. 2/7
  7. 2/5
  8. 2/3
Which means the chances of not randomly hitting an SCL would be:
  1. 15/17
  2. 13/15
  3. 11/13
  4. 9/11
  5. 7/9
  6. 5/7
  7. 3/5
  8. 1/3
If you'd asked me to pinpoint end of game for the purpose of 50% I'd guess with some confidence that it was closer to D6. We're also omitting deaths by any other means (Vigilantes...anything else?)

There's only a 5.88% chance to steer clear of SCL's when picking entirely randomly, in the longest game possible, where both lovers survive to the final day.
....that's so romantic. I hope its me and you shaz. Me and you.

Reactions: Shazam08

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
If you'd asked me to pinpoint end of game for the purpose of 50% I'd guess with some confidence that it was closer to D6. We're also omitting deaths by any other means (Vigilantes...anything else?)
Omitting Doctors, Bodyguards, Vigilantes, and Madmen. Anything that could change the 2-per-night death rate.

N6 gives you a 29%. The closest you'll get to 50 is 53%, on N4.

...that's so romantic. I hope its me and you shaz. Me and you.
<3

You would die first

Last edited:

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
oooooh I get it regarding poltergeist. Ok that makes sense. I was way off.

I'm sure this was obvious to some peeps but for stupid people like me would you mind clarifying it a bit?

One possibility: "Poltergeists may swap two targets around each night for the purpose of actions."

For the traitor thing: its got a really damn high chance of happening you dink. If you assume that the wolves always tend to kill off 50% of the players before end of game (conservative!), that's a 50% chance they'll hit the starcrossed lover and create a traitor as a result, who can immediately sell out all the wolves (via codenames, or always voting in such a way that its obvious they know who the wolves are)

Question: do starcrossed lovers know they're starcrossed?
It does not always happen. There will be, based on the number of signups, no more than two sets of lovers. Of these, it then requires people to be on opposing teams to activate star-crossed lovers.

TL:DR - Star-crossed lovers is not necessarily in the game. It's just what happens if, when assigning lovers, they end up on opposite teams.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It does not always happen. There will be, based on the number of signups, no more than two sets of lovers. Of these, it then requires people to be on opposing teams to activate star-crossed lovers.

TL:DR - Star-crossed lovers is not necessarily in the game. It's just what happens if, when assigning lovers, they end up on opposite teams.
Neat :)