we need a minecraft zeppelin mod for ftb

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
okay, prove why we need a zeppelin mod and I'll see about adding one.

StarLiner

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion, more of an 'airship/boat' mod, essentially the same kind as this one here, would add a lot of creative depth to the game. The first major hurdle would be getting the damned thing working with 1.4.2, perhaps contact the developer of this or mods like it to try and get them on board? What I like most about this mod in particular is that it isn't just airships, you can make boats too. You could really expand it to be it's own major modification. For instance, integrating it with BuildCraft landmarks to set the ship size? That would save you from having to mess around in config files to get certain blocks to move with the ship, though you would have to be careful not to get stray blocks mixed in. One problem I see would, in the mods current state, it is overpowered as all get out. So add in some complexity, here are some of my thoughts:

-Add components like propellers, engines, balloons, to give a ship or boat lift. Give blocks a certain weight. Your lift must exceed the weight to even get off the ground, and you'll go very slowly unless you've got a massive lift-to-weight ratio. This will, hopfully, keep rail networks a viable option.

-Fuel consumption. The more components/lift it needs, the more fuel it takes, though if it runs out it should simply stop in place instead of plummeting to it's demise. Same if components that add lift are taken off and the weight once again exceeds it. Maybe special furnances? Link it to IC2's EU system? Nuclear powered airships? Yes please!

-Make the actual components to craft an airship fairly expensive, or have it in tiers/combine. A basic piloting block might power an airship no larger than 10-50 blocks, a larger airship might need 3, or 4, or a higher tier. Airships should be a reward for sticking to your world so long, or a goal to work towards.

-Boats should be cheaper then airships, and could be a fun way for players to cross an ocean in style.

Airships would add a great deal of creative flexibility. Airships or boats players can make, a nomadic player who simply explores. I think that there is a very good case to be made for including such a mod, should it be working and balanced. Which I understand is a daunting task, but should be considered if and when the chance presents itself, or at least attempt to contact the old developer(s) to see if they'd like to come aboard (my future airship).

Reactions: Kghareus

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Some form of transportation mod would indeed be useful.
But the zeppelin mod was notoriously unstable, and as you mentioned, is not updated since 1.2.5.

The goal of the FTB pack is to take a bunch of mods and put them together into a mod pack(and make a map), we aren't really in to resurrecting dead mods.
If you find a good mod, you can post it in the suggestion thread.

Misticblade7

Jul 29, 2019
This would be the one to keep an eye on, if and when it resurrects:
Ships and Boats Mod

Used Forge, and had incredible compatibility with other mods. I had a basic RP magtubes system running on one of these airships in entity form back in 1.2.5. Bundled cable was fully functional, as well as most other mod blocks, like advanced machines and ironchests. If I recall, zeppelin had to specifically add functionality for all vanilla blocks.

Darc

Jul 29, 2019
well if you can get a way to get blocks to fly it would be nice so on server you cant fly on

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Can't help but think about the amount of strain this would put on servers, but the option for smoother flying machines and easier building/control would make it preferable to frames- even if it's a lot more expensive.

That being said- if you want a airship/flying machine- take a look at pchan3's steampunk airship. Its now fully open source, so it could be modded to suit Starliners thoughts on weight and components ect... (I imagine it being like the cart assembler in steve's carts mod).

Darc

Jul 29, 2019
or people like steampunk and like airships a lot more people will join ftb

DracePhoenix

Jul 29, 2019
Well, actually the main idea of this is very interesting. You should just think about the whole functionality...
Frames from RP2 are quite nice, thought they are a bit slow and not moving very smooth.
Just imagine modern battleships, tanks, vehicles and much more..

Of course this shouldn't be too glitchy, so objects made by this mod would only move if a player controls in manualy.
Though of course it seems to be plenty of work to port this somehow to 1.4 as a universal mod, which won't create problems at SMP.

I also really like the ideas from Starliner, who thought about the concept a bit.
A mod like this would really improve the functionality of a lot of objects, some examples:

- A flying fortress
- Tanks with tnt-catapults or lasers on it
- Cars
- Trains (of course also some long ones with space to put something in and bring people from a position to another very fast)

These are also just some ideas.
So, it would be great to have such a mod integrated into the FTB Modpack, especially because it's multifuctional and would fit to any of these mods.
I also thought about such things like a large oil-tanking ship, which has some pumps, refineries and liquid tanks on it to extract oil from the oil deposits in the ocean and storage it. Then later transform it into fuel.
Another great functionality would be a mining roboter-suit to clear up large spots quite fast, having different modes how to mine / dig and so on being able to clear up large places manually quite fast.
(This would be a great alternative to turtles)
I would also love to do an UFO-stylish aircraft, which can launch vertical, has large energy capacity and is perfect for exploring / having a secondary base with you the whole time.

In my opinion, everyone would enjoy such a mod.. So the question wouldn't really be if it is useful, it's more if it could be possible without messing up a server / map.

DrVesuvius

Jul 29, 2019
I'd second the call for an airship mod of some sort. Minecraft with the various tech mods included in Feed The Beast (and certain other mod packs who shall not be named) makes a great platform for doing steampunky things, and airships are a big feature of steampunk culture. I don't have a particular mod in mind that I could propose, just saying that the inclusion of one that gave the player the ability to build and fly their own airships in the game would be a big selling point for the brass goggles crowd.

That said, while an airship mod would be great, a more general vehicle mod would perhaps be even more awesome.

Dr V

Inacio

Jul 29, 2019
If the mythological 1.4 update really comes for Flan's Planes, that would be really lovely to have in FTB. It would fit right in.

Reactions: bigtwisty

Darc

Jul 29, 2019
look it is a really good idea and people can have flying houses it would be great

Billa2720

Jul 29, 2019
The Zeppelin mod was was cool (until I forgot to raise my piston/landing gear and rotated my base 90 degrees). I had two problems with it
First it would not attach items from other mods. I could not directly build a flying oil platform, I had to store the pump, pipes and tanks in chests when moving instead of build it once and moving it as a whole to the next oil field.
Secondly if there was more than 1 control block on a craft the game crashed, perhaps even unable to log back on( I learned to back up my saves). I had wanted to attach a small runabout to return to base after I had my platform in position, and get my tanker(yeah teleport pipes were faster, but I liked the fun and challenge of getting the right altitude and position to like up the tanks so i could transfer the fuel.

Aside from that I liked to make large cargo movers for transferring the materials for a new base, or moving a small ready made outpost into place. Also I liked to make small craft inspired by the mule in Firefly for descending into a ravine or mining the ore off the wall. These where as small as possible, usually only 3 by 5 blocks.

OwenBritton

Jul 29, 2019
I made an account here just to agree that this is a great idea!

The reasons this content is what the mod team shold spend their time adding instead of other stuff is that this will add a new realm of construction to the game, both aesthetically and practically. It will extend the range of the player, allowing for more exploration and settlements that are further apart.

Here are my thoughts on implementation, though recognize that I think it's a good idea even if it isn't done exactly in this way:

construction requires the crafting of many sections of canvas-to be combined into a ballon of one of three sizes, increasing in expense and size exponentially.
a basket (same idea. smallest basket goes with smallest balloon, and is only big enough for one person. Biggest is like a room with a balcony and a glass floor.)
and an engine.

To control the engines, the player crafts a control, which can be used within x blocks of the basket, and which steers it like a boat, but with up and down controls.

The engines cost coal to work, but will accept other fuels as well.