Ways to speed up energy transmission RF > EU > MJ etc

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
So I have a setup where I am actually getting usable energy from a Mystcraft dimension which has an eternal storm modifier.
Basically one Lightning Rod which gets zapped continuously (chunk loaded of course)
It transmits its energy through a Dimensional Transceiver to Overworld - at which point energy is not an issue.
I get essentially unlimited energy, however the flow of energy is so slow that it does affect feel particularly useful.

Eg: If I had 1 million EU in a MFSU and connected it directly to a Mass Fabricator via Glass Fibre Cable - I would go up in % at a rate of perhaps 10% per second.
Because the throughput of EU is 8000+ with that cable.

However, because the Dimensional Transceiver (and the Lightning Rod itself - from Immersive Engineering)
Only connects to RF cables - I am being forced to use RedNet Energy Cables: which have a max throughput of 1000 RF, and apparently the conversion of RF to EU is
1 EU from every 4 RF.
Which means my throughput is slowed by RedNet Energy Cables to 250 EU per tick.

I find that this problem slows down my fabrication of UU-Matter to the point where it is essentially taking perhaps 4 seconds to increase by 1% in completion - since most recipes need perhaps 300-1000 or more mB, it mitigates the usefulness of UU-Matter
(Not that it matters that much, since having found a Dimension where the oceans are made out of UU-Matter)

Still - I was wondering if anyone knows of any efficient and fast way of transferring energy from RF to EU and vice versa, while maintaining a good rate of transfer.
I don't mind losing energy here and there, I care more about getting a faster transfer rate than the current RedNet Energy Cable.

I am using FTB Infinity.
If AE conduits do a better energy transfer job while maintaining compatibility, then I will try those.

condensedapple

Jul 29, 2019
You can convert EU to RF with Electrical Engines from IC2, but don't forget to upgrade them with electron tubes. The best ratio is 3EU : 1MJ (or 10RF), which is better than the RedNet Energy Cables.

If you have lots of time and lots of ressources, just build lots of Magma Crucibles (from Thermal Expansion with netherrack) and Geothermal Generators (IC2) for RF -> EU.

Some calculations:
Thermal Expansion: Magma Crucible with Netherrack: 1000mB lava for 120000RF with 400RF/t
Geothermal Generator: 20000EU from 1000mB lava with 20EU/t
Ratio: 6RF for 1EU, which is ......
If you have GregTech installed, the Thermal Generator produces 30000EU from 1000mB lava with 24EU/t, which yields a 4RF : 1EU ratio.

Not really worth it, and very expensive, but faster compared to the RedNet Energy Cables.

If you don't play on a server, just install PowerConverters, which has energy producers/consumers for every kind of energy, and a very high transfer rate as well as appropriate costs.
Hope that helps.

Axis113

Jul 29, 2019
You could try routing the power through several redstone energy cells then output with rednet energy cables. One input side and five output sides will net you 1250 eu a tick per cell. You could then input into a MFSU to transfer the power on a HV Cable to wherever you need it. I'm not sure how much power a lightning rod produces but you should be able to expand this until you max out.

If I'm not mistaken Immersive Engineering cables convert to eu. You might just be able to use a few of that mods HV cables.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Go the extra mile. Use Applied Energistics quantum singularities to make an ME network that spans the dimensions. Then, use the energy P2P tunnel to transmit the EU or RF without limit.

--
I don't think AE is doing power conversion, although if it is that would be an obvious unlimited throughput RF->EU converter.
And your chokepoint isn't the interdimensional transport, but the RF->EU conversion. And on that front... other than masses of MFR rednet energy cables each converting 1kRF/t, I don't know about other 'viable' RF->EU options - unless theres an RF way to produce steam that is compatible with IC's steam turbines... but afaik the many and various RF steams are not compatible with IC2exp's steam.

Last edited:

Axis113

Jul 29, 2019
Go the extra mile. Use Applied Energistics quantum singularities to make an ME network that spans the dimensions. Then, use the energy P2P tunnel to transmit the EU or RF without limit.
But can you convert RF to EU with AE?

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah - literally the impediment here is finding a wire type that connects to the right devices.
Eg: RF is being generated by lightning rod
Into Dimensional Transceiver
Transceiver has max Output of 20k RF
I can use Ender IO Conduits to match that transfer rate
However those conduits don't connect to IC2 EU consuming devices.
The converting cables - RedNet etc, then slow the 20k transfer rate down to 1k
Which changes a 5000 EU potential to a 250 potential.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah - literally the impediment here is finding a wire type that connects to the right devices.
Eg: RF is being generated by lightning rod
Into Dimensional Transceiver
Transceiver has max Output of 20k RF
I can use Ender IO Conduits to match that transfer rate
However those conduits don't connect to IC2 EU consuming devices.
The converting cables - RedNet etc, then slow the 20k transfer rate down to 1k
Which changes a 5000 EU potential to a 250 potential.

Does your modpack not have the latest Thermal <Explosion>? It was my understanding that the transfer limit on the Tesseract was unlimited, and the transfer limits that were suffered were derived from the connecting cables. There is now however a cyro cooled fluxduct with unlimited transfer so you can have even more RF/t that can't (efficiently) be converted to EU :p

Can the rednet cables connect ducts to IC2exp cables? or do they need to connect to machines?
If they can cable to cable directly, I'd try place *fluxduct and glass fiber cable side by side with a 1 block separation, that I would fill with mfr rednet cables.

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
I am using FTB infinity 1.11.2
I only install additional mods if they are server side mods.
Do you mean Thermal Expansion 4?
I think I have it - I will check the Tesseract, but that still doesnt solve the issue of connecting the RF power source to an EU using device.
Unless you are saying that the cryo cooled fluxduct can do the conversion from RF to EU?
It was using the RedNet Energy Cable which was causing the step-down in power - at the time, it was the only means of doing RF to EU

Geo Terra

Jul 29, 2019
While I'm not COMPLETELY sure of the conversion rates, you could try Immersive Engineering's wires as they can directly convert between EU & RF. I know a bunch of people on the FTBOne server (where they've been testing Infinity Evolved for release today) have been generating power in RF then using ImEn to convert the power for their IC2 machines (including the Mass Fab).

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
I will give those wires a go - I always find them a bit hacky though- and hard to connect.
Eg: With the transformer thing you need to attach to the device and then wiring up between them

Geo Terra

Jul 29, 2019
I will give those wires a go - I always find them a bit hacky though- and hard to connect.
Eg: With the transformer thing you need to attach to the device and then wiring up between them

Yeah, they are a tad finicky, I will admit. Just remember the 16 block limit to wire range between the connectors. That's more a choice to cut down on expensive raytracing operations rather than a design choice. Also, one the wire is in place, blocks are able to intersect the line if my memory serves.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Also, one the wire is in place, blocks are able to intersect the line if my memory serves.

*sigh*. Why, WHY does everyone have to be such a muppet about this? Yes - you CAN bypass the restrictions by placing blocks AFTER placing the wire. But the mod dev put the original restriction in place for a reason, but excludes the at-runtime check, not because its OK, but because it would be prohibitivly expensive.

Yes its possible. Feel bad for abusing it. Or just get a @#$( config option (if it doesnt exist) to turn it off.