Ways to power IC2 machines

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tripwire733

Jul 29, 2019
I know that you are able to convert IC2 energy into Buildcraft energy using electrical engines. Is there are way to do this visa versa? I want to power my macerators and compressors using all the energy generated from my combustion engines, but I haven't been able to find anything on the wikis or on the forums on how to do this, if possible. Your help is much appreciated.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
The closest you can get to a direct conversion is sending your BC energy into a Magma Crucible which outputs into a Geothermal Generator. Otherwise you'll have to use a more indirect method such as Bifuel Generators (I may have got the name wrong) or Steam Turbines.

The Magma Crucible needs at least Cobblestone to melt into Lava, but you'll get a lot more bang for your buck, so to speak, by using Netherrack instead. Fitting, as the Magma Crucible is supposedly meant to make quarrying or mining Netherrack an alternative to pumping out the Nether lava lakes, which is one of the preferred methods of mass EU generation.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
nothing inside the FTB pack will do this. You can go from a boiler to a turbine (railcraft) or biomass/biofuel into a bio-generator(forestry), but nothing will directly convert BC energy into EU without another mod like the transformers mod.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Addressing what you have now: If you are using fuel (and have a decent source) in those combustions, you can use it in a liquid fueled boiler. A relatively small 8HP boiler (2x2 box / 8 boiler blocks on top) will run a single Steam Turbine and produce 50EU/t. Head over to the Railcraft wiki if you want to get into the nuts and bolts of fuel type / output / warmup, etc.

I generally go the lava route, as Silvas mentions, since you can use that single energy source to power both energy nets efficiently early-to-mid game, without conversion loss. That being said, the two largest liquid boilers on fuel will spit out over 1 million EU per bucket.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Peat from forestry farms can be burned directly in an IC2 generator. In Tekkit, you could make a fuel can, and "burn" that in a generator too. Both systems then allow for BC energy sources to be used as EU. Although not a true conversion of MJ to EU, end result is nearly the same.

Personally, since my experience is more with IC2 then BC, I'm more apt to generate EU to convert to MJ. EU power generation/movement makes more sense to me :D