Ways to make my world less laggy?

FTB_Time

Jul 29, 2019
My world is getting laggy

It's fine away from my base...

I understand the main ways would be to remove machines etc...

But I was just wondering whether there were any 'specifically laggy' blocks which I should remove from my world...

PS: Is mapwriter laggier than the minimap??

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Too many variables to effectively answer. What's in the pack? What's in the base? Do you have a dedicated GPU? How much memory? What version of Minecraft? Is Java up-to-date? Etcetera etcetera. Generally speaking, if you want to remove lag, remove blocks or items that are animated. Remove things like pipes and other items that have constant tick updates and carry data from one place to another. Some mods have multiblock structures that tick far more often than they need to, which can cause additional lag. It's just too hard to say what the issue is specifically, or how you could improve it.

Reactions: RedBoss

Kerazi

Jul 29, 2019
Here are a few of the kinds of things I've found to create lag in my base:
- Too many items dropping on the ground waiting to despawn. This can be the result of a poorly designed piping system or a tree farm which drops too many items on the ground.
- Too many animals/mobs. Auto-spawners and breeders can push their numbers to the mob cap.

Reactions: Wraithflay

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Try the JVM arguments for an overall boost.

Avoid/cut down on ticking/complex entities; crystal chests, an excessive about of AE busses, large MFR farms, building an entire base out of microparts, vanilla hoppers, any system of moving parts/block updates/pulsing redstone, large engine arrays.

xalpha322

Jul 29, 2019
Try the JVM arguments for an overall boost.

Avoid/cut down on ticking/complex entities; crystal chests, an excessive about of AE busses, large MFR farms, building an entire base out of microparts, vanilla hoppers, any system of moving parts/block updates/pulsing redstone, large engine arrays.

Thanks ! didnt really know microblocks caused lag...

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Talking about java arguments, anyone has any recommended arguments to share? I'm running MMC launcher on Java 8 on default setting right now and my framerate is getting really bad near my base.

InfinityRaider

Jul 29, 2019
This is what I use, you might want to tone down the allocated memory to 2 or 3 GB though
Code:
-Dfml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates=true -Dfml.ignorePatchDiscrepancies=true -Xms4096m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=512m -XX:NewRatio=4 -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=0 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=20 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=250 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrentAndUnloadsClasses -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=50 -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:Tier0ProfilingStartPercentage=0 -XX:Tier3InvocationThreshold=3 -XX:Tier3MinInvocationThreshold=2 -XX:Tier3CompileThreshold=2 -XX:Tier3BackEdgeThreshold=10 -XX:Tier4InvocationThreshold=4 -XX:Tier4MinInvocationThreshold=3 -XX:Tier4CompileThreshold=2 -XX:Tier4BackEdgeThreshold=8 -XX:TieredCompileTaskTimeout=5000 -XX:Tier3DelayOn=50 -XX:Tier3DelayOff=25 -XX:+UseFastEmptyMethods -XX:-DontCompileHugeMethods -XX:+AlwaysCompileLoopMethods -XX:+CICompilerCountPerCPU -XX:+UseStringCache -XX:+UseNUMA

Reactions: PierceSG

jaquadro

Jul 29, 2019
Huge memory isn't necessarily a good thing anyway. If your mod list is huge, you'll need it just to be able to run. But a bigger memory slice means longer pauses every time garbage collection kicks in, assuming that your client is continuing to leak memory as you play. My experience so far is modded minecraft leaks like a sieve.