Want to play modded Minecraft, but can't get the beginning.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
@ShneekeyTheLost has a good point. If you're overwhelmed by the amount of stuff in modded minecraft... Try a lighter pack. Learn those mods. Then add to your list of mods you're comfortable with.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with those who say your "mistake" is playing an Expert mode modpack, which is for veteran modded minecrafters who are bored and looking for a good hard challenge. Infinity Evolved is a great modpack, just don't play the expert mode as a beginner! Learn the ropes the easy way first.

As to your question regarding a base... Infinity Evolved is one of those modpacks which alters the normal Minecraft villages (I do not know which mod does it), adding more buildings, adding guards who will attack mobs (but not you), and most importantly of all... adding a wall around some (but not all villages).

What we found (I played the pack on a multiplayer server) is that these walled villages make a GREAT base. It's kinda cruel I suppose, but I killed all the villagers, razed all their buildings, flattened the interior, and then patched up the wall where it needed it... bingo - instant fortified base! Most of these walled villages are fairly large, mine was almost 4 chunks by 4 chunks on the inside, plenty of room to build all sorts of stuff.

So try that out as a suggestion. But a lot of us have the same problem you described - I am NOT a good builder. My stuff looks like crap to me, and I'm almost never happy with my base layout. Nobody is ever gonna see my base and go "WOW, that is awesome!" I'm more of a practical minecrafter - the stuff I make works good, but it doesn't necessarily look good. LOL

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with those who say your "mistake" is playing an Expert mode modpack, which is for veteran modded minecrafters who are bored and looking for a good hard challenge. Infinity Evolved is a great modpack, just don't play the expert mode as a beginner! Learn the ropes the easy way first.

As to your question regarding a base... Infinity Evolved is one of those modpacks which alters the normal Minecraft villages (I do not know which mod does it), adding more buildings, adding guards who will attack mobs (but not you), and most importantly of all... adding a wall around some (but not all villages).

What we found (I played the pack on a multiplayer server) is that these walled villages make a GREAT base. It's kinda cruel I suppose, but I killed all the villagers, razed all their buildings, flattened the interior, and then patched up the wall where it needed it... bingo - instant fortified base! Most of these walled villages are fairly large, mine was almost 4 chunks by 4 chunks on the inside, plenty of room to build all sorts of stuff.

So try that out as a suggestion. But a lot of us have the same problem you described - I am NOT a good builder. My stuff looks like crap to me, and I'm almost never happy with my base layout. Nobody is ever gonna see my base and go "WOW, that is awesome!" I'm more of a practical minecrafter - the stuff I make works good, but it doesn't necessarily look good. LOL

Witchery.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Because I'm 100% genius, I forgot all about this: Intro 2 Mods It's a very light pack specifically to show vanilla players what modded Minecraft has to offer. One thing you should do is find Railcraft, download the latest version and add that in. Because Trains are awesome. (Download Railcraft to your system, then use the Edit Mod Pack button and then add mod to put it in.)

Also, the rewards from Space Astronomy runs a little hot/cold, but all bags do that. I got a turtle and pocket computer from one bag. And from another, I landed all four AE2 presses. Of course I also got far too many slabs and stairs, but them's the breaks.

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
If you are really set on building a nice base first, you could just hop into creative mode. Sometimes I start a modpack by building a giant base that I like in creative mode, and then I go into survival mode and play it like a normal survival series. I don't actually spawn anything like machines or ore or anything that would ruin my progress of the game, because that ruins the fun for me. I just get my base looking nice then I go out and punch trees and stuff like a normal first night in minecraft survival.
I actually think Big Mac has made a really good point here, and more can be made of it.

I understand the perfectionist's fugue you are referring to, I really do. I had a similar experience with a 1.6.4 custom modpack I was playing with - it was lots of fun, but certain things about it frustrated me and I realised that it was the fact that I had to spend hours grinding out basic building materials just to make it look nice. I only found true happiness and really got into enjoying the mods side when I finally broke down and hopped into creative. What I did was built the structure and features of my base, usually using cobblestone (thank you Chisel for making that look good!) as it's a renewable source that I can apply liberally without guilt, with additional stone, wood and similar things. Only structural resources were cheated in, nothing to help me in any mods, and I found that I was very happy with the result!

So: why not give that a go? When you first spawn in, fly about until you find somewhere that really fits what you are after - perhaps look into good seeds for the kind of scenery you're after, to make this easier; then set yourself up a nice base with cheap materials. Yes, you may end up skipping the very initial survival experience, but I get the feeling that's not really what you're after - so do it, and don't feel bad. Then get rid of all the stuff in your inventory, and get cracking with your modded Minecraft experience proper. You won't regret it.

- GwnG