Want Only The Golems

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

MysteryGoat

Jul 29, 2019
Some friends and I recently started a private mod pack and none of us are big fans of Thaumcraft. However we do love the golems for farming, especially for Magical Farms. But they'd rather leave the entire thing out instead of having to deal with all the world entities it creates just for one feature. So my question is, is it possible, through tinkering and tweaks, to install just the golems from Thaumcraft and nothing else?

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
No, but you can disable the mobs, taint, and make things like nodes really really rare in the config. You might also be able to dissable blocks by setting their ID's to 0, but test this first, not all mods allow this (you will get a block ID warning if it does not work)

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
You can disable some things within the config file, but you can't install only part of the mod.

If you don't want the monsters, change any or all of these to false
B:spawn_angry_zombies=true
B:spawn_fire_bats=true
B:spawn_pechs=true
B:spawn_taint_spores=true
B:spawn_taintacles=true
B:spawn_wisps=true

To get rid of taint, change
I:biome_taint_chance=2000 to I:biome_taint_chance=0
B:biome_taint_from_flux=true to B:biome_taint_from_flux=false
I:biome_taint_spread=200 to I:biome_taint_spread=0

Doing all of that would leave the three structure types the mod generates, but those structures would have no negative effect.

I suppose you could use a recipe disabler to remove the recipe for the iron wand caps and the iron/wood wand, which would make it impossible to get a thaumonomicon. Then you could use creative to get a bunch of each golem type (and the bell) and set up a trade station where the players could pay the necessary resources to get the golem they wanted.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, and one other thing, you might want to enable the cheat sheet in the configs as well, last time I checked you need the research enabled on your character in order to do the various craftings, especially the cauldron/infusion stuff.

Either that or set up some sort of trade system so you can sacrifice items to cheat in the golems/bell.(they work fine without the research, i just don't think they are craftable)

MysteryGoat

Jul 29, 2019
Sweet, that saves me a lot of time trying to figure out what the heck to do.

And yeah, I always planned on just spawning them in. That's what I've been doing. Magical Crops might as well be cheating anyway so no problems spawning in some golems. ;)

MysteryGoat

Jul 29, 2019
So yeah it doesn't seem to like changing the block ID's to 0.

Quick question. I found the setting for node rarity but it doesn't tell me if increasing the number increases the rarity or makes them more common. Any idea on that?

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
for this setting
# How rare nodes are in the world. The number means there will be (on average) one node per N chunks.
I:node_rarity=36

just bump it up to something stupidly big, although I would be leery of anything more than thousands(like the taint number), but that is just me.

MysteryGoat

Jul 29, 2019
Alright so nodes seem to be more or less gone. Thanks for the clarification on that by the way.

So as far as removing item generation from the game. I'm not having any luck in finding a way to remove blocks completely without altering the code and I haven't a clue how to do that. I did see in the config, though, settings for world regeneration. My thought is if I generated the world and then added the mod afterwards and had all regen settings on false, would that prevent cinnibar, nodes, ect from spawning completely or would areas that haven't been generated yet, would all those items appear there once someone generated the chunks?

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure about that... never tried it. You might give it a shot in a test world.

On the other hand, crystal clusters and amber blocks make good decorative items. I'm not sure if cinnabar is cross-compatible with tech mods that use it, so it might be useless.

MysteryGoat

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I've never used any of that stuff. I usually end up with a handful of stacks of amber, cinnabar and such wondering what the hell I use them for. The other guys pretty much just want to keep things from loading as it brings some unnecessary lag on the server. Unnecessary because we don't use anything from that mod other than the golems.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
And a horde of golems can bring a server to it's knees :p
So can many things. Golems aren't that bad. They're just Entities that can do things that a player can do, right?
~I'm not sure if cinnabar is cross-compatible with tech mods that use it, so it might be useless.
Except for TE3, yeah, not sure it's useful. I mean, GT had some uses for some items from TC in the past, but that was a while ago, and it's GT.

But on the topic of TE3 and cinnabar, yes, you can convert TC4 Cinnabar into TE3 Cinnabar if you make sure to not smelt it. That Quicksilver stuff is all but useless outside of TC4.
And no, for the record, the fact that you can convert TC4 Cinnabar into TE3 Cinnabar isn't "Overpowered" in any way, since it's rarer then Redstone(spawns in very small amounts), has to be converted via the Fluid Transposer using Gellied Cryotheium(or something like that), which can only be made from Cryotheium Blend(again, I can't spell that name), for a metric assload of Redstone Flux(and unless you like throwing Florbs of that stuff, that's all you can use it form at the moment), and Cryotheium Blend needs Blizz Powder, which is made from Blizz Rods, which I have no clue what drops them(their Wiki sure as hell doesn't know either last I checked), or made from snowballs... in the Liquid Infuser, using 200 mlB of Destabilized Redstone.

And that gets you enough Gellied Cryostuff for 2.5 Cinnabar Ore Blocks to be made into TE3 Cinnabar. Massive costs and time needed, not to mention Infastructure, for a way to convert a essential resource from one mod into a useful resource in another(but ultimately not needed).

Or you could just do the smart thing and get a silk touch tool via any trick you want and "suffer" the 25% chance to get some cinnabar for every redstone ore block you pulverize.

Reactions: Esheon