Virtually Loaded Mods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Saamoz

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who has played with mods and custom modpacks for a while, I had an idea. I was looking around at things like magic launcher and other mod-related programs, and something caught my eye. In MultiMC, there is a central mod folder button. It doesn't really do anything useful, just a place to keep spare mods, but it could be so much more. So here comes my idea: what if all of FTB's packs were based off of virtualization?
Now that may not make much sense, so let me explain. With the Technic custom packs, you're not allowed to redistribute minecraft.jar, so you have to make a modpack.jar, which is virtually merged with minecraft.jar in the RAM. If FTB could do this with mods instead of the jar, it would be a revolution in modpack making. Instead of a copy of mods in each pack, there would be a central folder with all FTB mods, and there would be a .json file that would specify which mods to merge.
Imagine the implications. To make a custom pack, you could choose with a checklist of mods, and they would be virtually loaded with the pack. Dependant mods, like ChickenBonesCore would automatically be added. Coupled with no ID conflicts in 1.7 and universal configs, there would be nary a problem. Also, when updating, instead of redownloading everything, there could be one file to add, and one file to delete.
Of course, there are probably plenty of technical implications, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Instead of checking the mods folder and loading all the mods in there, one file would specify which mods to load, all in one folder. It would simply be loading mods from a different location.
If this were to be added, modpacks could be changed forever.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who has played with mods and custom modpacks for a while, I had an idea. I was looking around at things like magic launcher and other mod-related programs, and something caught my eye. In MultiMC, there is a central mod folder button. It doesn't really do anything useful, just a place to keep spare mods, but it could be so much more. So here comes my idea: what if all of FTB's packs were based off of virtualization?
Now that may not make much sense, so let me explain. With the Technic custom packs, you're not allowed to redistribute minecraft.jar, so you have to make a modpack.jar, which is virtually merged with minecraft.jar in the RAM. If FTB could do this with mods instead of the jar, it would be a revolution in modpack making. Instead of a copy of mods in each pack, there would be a central folder with all FTB mods, and there would be a .json file that would specify which mods to merge.
Imagine the implications. To make a custom pack, you could choose with a checklist of mods, and they would be virtually loaded with the pack. Dependant mods, like ChickenBonesCore would automatically be added. Coupled with no ID conflicts in 1.7 and universal configs, there would be nary a problem. Also, when updating, instead of redownloading everything, there could be one file to add, and one file to delete.
Of course, there are probably plenty of technical implications, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Instead of checking the mods folder and loading all the mods in there, one file would specify which mods to load, all in one folder. It would simply be loading mods from a different location.
If this were to be added, modpacks could be changed forever.

Actually, to an extent, that's what FTB already does.

When you click on the "Edit Modpack" button, it gives you a list of mods to check and uncheck.

The only difference is that instead of having EVERY mod ( which would put the download into the gigabytes ), they are still curated experiences. If you look at Monster though, you will notice a number of mods that by default come disabled. Those are basically mods that they decided "They kind of fit in with what we are trying to do in this modpack, but not enough to enable them by default." Any mods you add manually btw, are included in the list and can easily be enabled or disabled from there.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
This is genius. You sir, win an internet. Provided ofc that you could manually add mods :p It would make downloading custom modpacks a whole lot easier. It would just download the .json file, and any mods that it saw that you didnt have in your folder, that were in the pack. This is revolutionary.

Saamoz

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, to an extent, that's what FTB already does.

When you click on the "Edit Modpack" button, it gives you a list of mods to check and uncheck.

The only difference is that instead of having EVERY mod ( which would put the download into the gigabytes ), they are still curated experiences. If you look at Monster though, you will notice a number of mods that by default come disabled. Those are basically mods that they decided "They kind of fit in with what we are trying to do in this modpack, but not enough to enable them by default." Any mods you add manually btw, are included in the list and can easily be enabled or disabled from there.
The difference is there would only be one folder. Not each mod having it's own version in each pack and choosing between them; each mod for 1.6.4 in one folder, and each pack choosing which of those mods to use, downloading only if the mod is not already in the folder.
If I had Monster and I wanted to use Magic Farm 2, it would check for the mods that I already have (things like Thaumcraft and Tinkers), and then download everything that is new (like Growthcraft and Infinibow. Then, if another pack were to come along and need Thaumcraft, Infinibow, and SuperAwesomeMod12, it would use the already downloaded versions for the first two, and download the latter anew.

Thanks for the replies everyone, BTW

CptSpike

Jul 29, 2019
The difference is there would only be one folder. Not each mod having it's own version in each pack and choosing between them; each mod for 1.6.4 in one folder, and each pack choosing which of those mods to use, downloading only if the mod is not already in the folder.
If I had Monster and I wanted to use Magic Farm 2, it would check for the mods that I already have (things like Thaumcraft and Tinkers), and then download everything that is new (like Growthcraft and Infinibow. Then, if another pack were to come along and need Thaumcraft, Infinibow, and SuperAwesomeMod12, it would use the already downloaded versions for the first two, and download the latter anew.

Thanks for the replies everyone, BTW

As an extension, a central repository of mods on an FTB controlled server would be handy. Basically a huge folder of compatible mods complete with FTB ready configs. So you download Monster, then go 'shopping' through this list of available mods. Choose those that sound exciting and they're automatically added to your central mods folder to include in other packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saamoz

Jul 29, 2019
As an extension, a central repository of mods on an FTB controlled server would be handy. Basically a huge folder of compatible mods complete with FTB ready configs. So you download Monster, then go 'shopping' through this list of available mods. Choose those that sound exciting and they're automatically added to your central mods folder to include in other packs.
Yeah, and the ready-made packs would automatically download all of the mods you need. So simple, yet so useful!

Saamoz

Jul 29, 2019
You mean @unv_annihilator ;). He also has a page to suggest launcher ideas
Okay, I posted my idea there from the actual idea and below. Hopefully this will get some more feedback.
@Anyonewhocanimplmentthisintotheftblauncher GET HERE NOW
It wouldn't be that simple. It would also require to make some changes to forge because the way it works is by looking and loading everything inside the mods folder. It's not meant to load mods from different locations. I'm sure the FTB team can do it though. We have geniuses like CPW on our side.

Last edited:

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
I thought that was what they were planning with the launcher update but instead they just put out the current one and I havent heard of anything more. ATLauncher already does this though, and it works well, but I dont like their modpacks. They arent as good as the FTB team at balancing modpacks and making them stable.

Reactions: Huene

Saamoz

Jul 29, 2019
I thought that was what they were planning with the launcher update but instead they just put out the current one and I havent heard of anything more. ATLauncher already does this though, and it works well, but I dont like their modpacks. They arent as good as the FTB team at balancing modpacks and making them stable.
Are you sure? I thought the AT Launcher saved packs the same way FTB did. Each instance has it's own folder, with it's own copy of the mods, and an option to enable/disable each one locally. Could you specify please?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure? I thought the AT Launcher saved packs the same way FTB did. Each instance has it's own folder, with it's own copy of the mods, and an option to enable/disable each one locally. Could you specify please?
Each instance has its own mods but you have a central download folder for all mods used on the launcher. This is great when a pack updates because you only download the updated mods.

Plus the ATLauncher has a huge selection of welk cultivated packs. If you want a pre-made pack with lots of personalization options then check out SolitaryCraft.

Huene

Jul 29, 2019
I may be mistaken but I thought this, or something similar was coming with the move to the curse launcher

Saamoz

Jul 29, 2019
I may be mistaken but I thought this, or something similar was coming with the move to the curse launcher
Wow, I didn't even know about the Curse launcher until your post! I don't know about the features to do with my idea, but it definitely looks like a step in the right direction. I can't wait to see forge and FTB become officially supported by curse!