VERY Compact Autocrafting [Redpower + Xycraft]

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Fido488

Jul 29, 2019
Using the Mindcrack Pack I discovered a very compact way of autocrafting using xycraft and redpower. I really dislike buildcraft and I've been waiting for a redpower way of crafting. The addition of the Xycraft fabricator has now made this possible.

2013-03-12_151740.png

The crafter works from right to left in this image. The Manager on the right pulls in items to fulfill the crafting recipe. The fabricator on the left crafts the item. When the item is needed it is pulled out by the manager on the left. If the item is not needed then the item stays in the fabricators inventory. Because the item is in the fabricator the manager is satisfied so it shuts down outputting a redstone signal also shutting down the Fabricator.

2013-03-12_151504.png

Here you can see how compact this system is. It allows you to make tons of different auto crafters in a very small space.

This setup is currently being used to create more Managers because they are so much work to make manually. All I have to do is provide the supplies and it spits them out to the project tables behind me.

2013-03-12_151806.png

Managers are also used to create RedWafers, Brass and BlueAlloy for the recipes.

Has anyone made an autocrafting system that is more compact than this? This is the smallest one I could think of.

Happy crafting,
Fido488

Reactions: Omicron

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Sooooo many managers.

Everytime I look at one I see a full stack+ of mats. So costly those guys.

But nice setup.

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
I still am working on wrapping my head around the secrets of the manager, but the setup you have there makes me really want to get a move on that. Would it be possible to have like all of your tubes connected to the bottoms of a line of barrels and then have them pull out the items needed based on a redstone signal? Because that could be really awesome with wireless redstone. (Thinking like a main crafting room that has a computer and wireless transmitter + enderchest, then all you have to do is type in the item name into the computer and the quantity needed, and then for the name and number you put in it will set a frequency and pulse the amount of items you need. That would be awesome.) On second thought, I'll be back after reading some info on the manager. This idea is just too good for me to forget about XD

Fido488

Jul 29, 2019
You would need managers attached to the bottom of the barrels otherwise they wouldn't be able to pull items out of it. What you are talking about is possible but you would probably need a requester attached to the wireless redstone. You would need at least two of whatever you want to have already crafted so you could have the requester and the manager work. Other than that what you are talking about is completely possible. All of the items you could ever want would need to be in a chest (or several chests) with a seperate requester for each item you want attached to that chest (or set of chests) through a tube network. Once the requester pulled an item out the manager would notice that the item was missing and call the crafting machine to make one to replace it.
This is just one way to do it... You could probably do it cheaper with a single chest for every item or 5 filters attached to one chest and a manager attached to that chest as well. Hmmm interesting challenge...

Also yes managers are soo expensive. Everything here is 100% legit. I have 2 turtles out mining a 64x64 area to replace all of the redstone I've used on wafers.

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
What is the 'requester' that you are referring to? I think that i would just need the managers next to the iron chests like you have above, and put the materials needed to craft them into the manger. Is there a way to make it so managers will only satisfy their inventory upon receiving a redstone signal? That is the main gum up in my system is my lack of knowledge of how these things work. Other than that, I should be good.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
plzent3r the manager gui is a little confusing I will give you that.

My suggestion is check out DW20's spot light on youtube.

Even then go start a test flatworld and build a vary basic manager network with 3 managers connected to three boxes and play with it a bit. It will start to make more sense then.

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
Yea thats what I was considering doing just now. I thought about using AE to make something of the like, but that seems too easy to me. Kind of like click to craft, and I like the challenge.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
also in some cases the manager is overkill. I would suggest looking your what your trying to do and see if other RP tools will work in there place like the Sorter or Filter.

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
you know what i could probably use turtles :p

much cheaper too so its a win win situation

meuqsaco

Jul 29, 2019
Use applied energistics or the new gregtech electric machines. Makes redpower look like a noob.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
you know what I wanna see as a crafting system. Workshop Golems for Thuam that would be so awesome if they had little work tables and everything.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Haha, random idea, what if golems had to take breaks? And if they didn't flux would rise and so would their ranks against YOU.

Binarin

Jul 29, 2019
What would happen if you put the crafting ingredients in the left managers and removed the right ones? I'm not sure if the fabricators will take stuff from the managers inventory, but if they won't then you should only need a manager and fabricator per crafting recipe.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
What would happen if you put the crafting ingredients in the left managers and removed the right ones? I'm not sure if the fabricators will take stuff from the managers inventory, but if they won't then you should only need a manager and fabricator per crafting recipe.

The left manager will not keep ingredients internally, it will put them into the fabricator. This will cause the fabricator to create an item right away. The manager would never reach the point where it is emitting a redstone signal to shut down the fabricator. You might be able to work around it, but I can not think of one right now.

Binarin

Jul 29, 2019
The left manager will not keep ingredients internally, it will put them into the fabricator. This will cause the fabricator to create an item right away. The manager would never reach the point where it is emitting a redstone signal to shut down the fabricator. You might be able to work around it, but I can not think of one right now.
Well... You can have the Fabricator turn on when receiving a redstone signal. So when the manager has put the ingredients in the fabricator it will turn it on. Or won't the manager send redstone if there is something else in the fabricator?

Edit: hmm... If the manager won't, then it's just better! If it won't output the crafting results, then it's not needed!

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand why everyone says managers are so awesome. The only thing I've been able to find any documentation saying they do is pull things that don't belong out of an adjacent inventory. That's useful, yes, but I don't really see that it's worth the price. I have one at the moment, attached to a fabricator that's using a Tome of Alkahest to duplicate soul sand - it's making sure that the fabricator always keeps at least the one soul sand it needs to continue duplication. It's a useful thing. But it's not absolutely amazing - I don't get what's supposedly so fantastically powerful about them.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
Well... You can have the Fabricator turn on when receiving a redstone signal. So when the manager has put the ingredients in the fabricator it will turn it on. Or won't the manager send redstone if there is something else in the fabricator?

Edit: hmm... If the manager won't, then it's just better! If it won't output the crafting results, then it's not needed!

The idea with the current auto-crafting I believe is to simply keep one of each item on hand and the xyfabs craft them as they pull out. Using managers like that would result in automatically crafting as many as the managers have access to materials. Also the manager must be cofigured to allow the crafting result if it is attached to the fab, otherwise it will pull them out instantly as soon as they are crafted, ruining your shot at any kind of detection.

Manager inserts items > redstone on > xy uses items >redstone off> manager brings more materials > repeat until out of resources.

You really do need two managers I think, one to keep the materials stocked, and the 2nd to shut off the xy fab if the item has already been crafted and extract the products as needed. You could likely replace the 2nd one with a gate or maybe a regulator, but you still need a way to pull items out of the fab, so the manager does both jobs.

My big problem with every RP crafting solution I have seen is that it ties up at least 1 full craft in materials/products at all times. That can be a LOT of overhead if you set up a large amount of auto-crafting.