vanilla players amaze me.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
modded players get up to some intricate builds. I have yet to see a lets play though of a modded game that has builds the size and complexity of vanilla ones. everything from vanilla automatic tree farms to a quarry someone built in vanilla.

then there are the things vanilla players will go through to get what they want. such as one video i had seen where someone had figured out the mechanics for world gen and forced new world gen to give them the structures they wanted. such as spawners.

what have you seen that goes above and beyond that a minecrafter has built, or done?

will add some example links:
(vanilla quarry)
(what inspired this thread)
(end crystal generator(pre-reciepe version))
(quad spawners)

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
There's a little something extra about building something like a quarry on a purely vanilla game vs building a buildcraft quarry. I saw some videos like those a while back and it made me want to consider going back to vanilla again, just to see what I can put together. There's a purity to it that makes those builds more impressive in my eyes.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Honestly. I'm intimidated.

I've stopped watching channels who make things that I can't understand.

I still watch DocM77, I still watch EthosLab. They explain things well enough, I can understand them, but no way can I make most of that stuff myself in vanilla.

I've given up on cubehamster and a few others. When high tech was just making larger and larger doors, I wasn't being left behind too fast, but now it's so far beyond me, I can hardly figure out the first step, to figuring out what it is that I don't understand, much less reach understanding.

I am awe struck.

And when Doc shows that server where they play technical to the bleeding edge, it's just... wow.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Honestly. I'm intimidated.

I've stopped watching channels who make things that I can't understand.

I still watch DocM77, I still watch EthosLab. They explain things well enough, I can understand them, but no way can I make most of that stuff myself in vanilla.

I've given up on cubehamster and a few others. When high tech was just making larger and larger doors, I wasn't being left behind too fast, but now it's so far beyond me, I can hardly figure out the first step, to figuring out what it is that I don't understand, much less reach understanding.

I am awe struck.

And when Doc shows that server where they play technical to the bleeding edge, it's just... wow.
I'm tempted to seek some of these out just to find out what people can do! I was intimidated enough when I saw a mario map on Stampy (my son loves him) and I couldn't for the life of me replicate the jump pads they were using.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Now I'm feeling all wistful for vanilla. I'm on a break from my modded game (originally because I had a primal need to play DOOM nonstop for a couple of weeks) but instead of getting back to that one right away, I might see what up-to-date unmodded minecraft looks like today.

Though, don't kill me, I might witch back up to the windows 10 version. It runs a lot smoother and has native controller support. And works with my Oculus.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
make yourself a pack, use curse, grab the newest forge, see if it'll run with the latest pre-release of 12, maybe poke a map onto it, see if it holds...

If you want a suporter of win10's version, roarax. https://www.youtube.com/user/RoraxPlays

I'm just worried. Because C# IS more powerful, that's a good thing, but it also can be locked down to the point where modding would be impossible.

Reactions: Softwerker

Softwerker

Jan 24, 2017
I'm just worried. Because C# IS more powerful, that's a good thing, but it also can be locked down to the point where modding would be impossible.

Fully agree with both points. And since Microsoft is involved, they might want to cash in wherever possible.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yeah, modding is pretty much impossible. Last I had heard, they did open up a basic API to edit a lot of things, but nothing compared to what can be done with the Java version.

I started on the PS4, with the still unsurpassed "Natural Color" pack (it's utterly perfect). Both the ps4 version and win10 versions have native controller support and can load chunks much further much faster, to the point that you will NEVER see that ugly x-ray vision stuff. I can run Win10 version at maximum possible settings, 32 chunk distance with 8x AA at a solid 60 FPS with my butt on the couch. Chunks fade in instead of popping in and the world feels completely seamless. That's not a factor for some people, but for me, I like to play like I'm a guy who wakes up stranded in this strange, empty land, and I build to complement the terrain. Immersion is important.

I still might prefer the PS4 version, though. It loses the AA, but the tracks move much faster and smoother, and you'd be surprised how much of a difference that makes for my play style. But, I have an Oculus, not a PSVR, and the win10 version just feels great. Now that every version has at least caught up to the eltrya, at least for my play style, any C-version is the better vanilla experience. As long as you don't use realms :p

That and as soon as I have a forge version, I'm too weak not to just keep adding to it, lol. Console and win10 versions keep it pure.

Oh, forgot to mention, too, that you can run your Win10 map from your PC, then seamlessly log in from a smartphone or tablet from anywhere as well.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I see Slinned build some cool things on Twich, usually while I cook dinner. He does a lot of large scale castle builds, and the enormity of the scale he builds on - in SSP - is quite amazing. I've asked him about his thoughts on mods, and he said something along the lines of he prefers the simplicity of the Vanilla building pallette. Adding more blocks adds variety, but there is so much that can be done with what already exists, why not use that. Watching him has inspired me to build a little bigger on the whole, which has helped me further repress my Dwarf instinct to burrow all the time.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That a really good way to put it. Vanilla Minecraft is, to me, more about 'how much can I do with this?' where modded Minecraft is 'what can I do?'

There's a lot of overlap, but they strike different chords. I'll do a vanilla game alongside a modded game, off and on, probably forever. Certainly for years.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Though, don't kill me, I might witch back up to the windows 10 version. It runs a lot smoother and has native controller support. And works with my Oculus.
I tried to play windows 10 version of minecraft. i stopped trying after i found out dual wielding wasn't coming to it any time soon. I lost all interest in pocket edition after that. I thought it was taking awhile. starting to sound more like they have no plans to bring it to that edition. I happen to like dual wielding. I thought all the combat changes they made caused the game to be more interesting, overall.

I am thinking it would be interesting to beat the wither and ender dragon in vanilla. only ever actually beat either last year, and i have had the game since alpha. mostly though i want to learn redstone. There are so many awesome things that can be done with it. With all the additions that modded packs i like tend towards there isn't much point to knowing redstone. as the mods have added things that make it unseeded.

As awesome as redstone is in vanilla, i think learning computer craft/open computers in modded would be just as awesome. I can program simple stuff on the CC computers. The autocomplete that was added helps a lot with that. I have yet to make heads or tales of the OC computers. As soon as I get to the lua prompt i am lost, and their wiki isn't nearly as usable as the CC one. (wondering how much of the CC wiki would work on the OC one. since the OC one was inspired by CC.)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I think the versions are highly personal choices. My playstyle and what I'm looking for in the game may be comepletely different from others.

For the lack of dual wield, my guess is that's a symptom of the dual nature of PE. You can't right-click a tablet. Not a huge issue for me because I've never even seen the native dual wield in minecraft. The only dual wielding I use is a mod and I think it works differently from normal.

I believe it is settled, though. Tonight, I attempt to begin a band-new hard-mode survival world on Win10 played exclusively in VR. May the gods have mercy on my stomach!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I think the versions are highly personal choices. My playstyle and what I'm looking for in the game may be comepletely different from others.

For the lack of dual wield, my guess is that's a symptom of the dual nature of PE. You can't right-click a tablet. Not a huge issue for me because I've never even seen the native dual wield in minecraft. The only dual wielding I use is a mod and I think it works differently from normal.

I believe it is settled, though. Tonight, I attempt to begin a band-new hard-mode survival world on Win10 played exclusively in VR. May the gods have mercy on my stomach!

I'm not familiar with VR tech. Is that something you can capture/stream with the same hardware you use to make your other MC videos? I'm curious as to how that looks/plays, but not curious enough to think about buying VR to try it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm not familiar with VR tech. Is that something you can capture/stream with the same hardware you use to make your other MC videos? I'm curious as to how that looks/plays, but not curious enough to think about buying VR to try it.

I've been using software to capture, but yeah, the same thing applies. The only problem is, without a VR headset on your end, you won't see the stereoscopic awesomeness of it. What you'll mostly see is a youtube video with the two screens from slightly different angles and you could watch it with a google cardboard VR set (buildable for under $2, runs off your cellphone) if you wanted to see it in full 3d, but it may be stomach churning if you're not in control of the head movements, i'm not sure. It'd be worth a look, though.

I can try to articulate the experience as best I can, too. I will start with the problems. It's not ready for prime time, but it's constantly being refined. They add some VR specific settings to help the nausea which can be pretty bad (even if you're not prone to motion sickness) without the settings. It's doable, but it's actually pretty exhausting.

The experience, however, is... incredible. If you can imagine putting on a set of goggles into another dimension, that's exactly what it is, only it's the dimension YOU build. Blocks look almost life-size. You can look around at any angle. It's designed to be played while seated, but you can lean over and see everything like you're literally inside the game. It's absolutely an incredible effect. You're IN your world.

I'll see if I can record something without killing my PC. I'll record a helpful instructional video that will help you build a 9x9 cobblestone house, lol.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
The experience, however, is... incredible. If you can imagine putting on a set of goggles into another dimension, that's exactly what it is, only it's the dimension YOU build. Blocks look almost life-size. You can look around at any angle. It's designed to be played while seated, but you can lean over and see everything like you're literally inside the game. It's absolutely an incredible effect. You're IN your world.

I'll see if I can record something without killing my PC. I'll record a helpful instructional video that will help you build a 9x9 cobblestone house, lol.
crap, i never wanted VR until i read that. I would be puking buckets by the sounds of it too. I get motion sickness off of most first person games. I have to turn off view bobbing and auto jump just to prevent it happening in minecraft.

What kind of computer does it take to run that? I might be able to afford a part to it every few months. I was really satisfied with this one. Not very good, but it plays packs with fps above 70 (before bases start getting intricate anyways). going to have to look up the vr version some time and start researching it.

i get the impression you have a youtube channel. ???

edit:
looks like the only thing that fails the occulus test is the CPU. The gpu only meets the minimum. Not that i could afford the headset. saving for that would put me over the amount of cash assets the government will allow me to have, to keep benefits. the samsung vr almost looks like a choice. i would need to buy everything for it though, and would only ever have one use for it. still need to do the steam vr test. thinking though that it is all rather pointless. i just can't get enough money together to afford the most expensive pieces, and vr requires them. i am just not allowed to save enough to do that.

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I would strongly recommend finding some kind of place to see a VR demonstration for yourself to see how it affects you. It's an undeniably *neat* effect. And I'm not poo pooing it with that word. I mean the highest definition of the word neat. It's damn neat.

But it's so early and it has some limitations. The motion sickness is real. Games are rated and grouped by comfort level. Generally, when the camera is stationary it's a perfectly comfortable experience. Certain types of locomotion will make most people feel ill. I am not prone to motion sickness and never have been. After my first 25 minutes of Minecraft, with every single comfort setting turned off (this was a stress test for perspective), at one point, I jumped and strafed at the same time and had to immediately stop, close my eyes and take a minute. It was actually pretty intense.

Luckily, they have a bunch of toggles to bypass most of the common triggers. And, you get used to it over time. You'll still look like a giant dork in those goggles. And it's still a pretty intense experience overall. A little bit like putting your nose on the TV screen.

If you've not experienced VR at all yet, look into something called Google Cardboard. It's far from an Oculus, but it'll cost you anywhere from 2 to 20 bucks. It's nothing but a lense, a frame and something to trigger a screen tap. You put your smartphone in it and you can watch the videos I'm going to record tomorrow in full 3d. Not as good 3d as the expensive models, obviously, but still pretty impressive for a do-it-yourself VR machine.

I have a YouTube channel, but I don't have anything but random clips of things, like a videogame photo album. Little to no commentary or editing. I've thought about putting in a little effort on presentation, but I usually just post my videos with a detailed text description. I'll make a new thread in the showcase tomorrow for it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Ugh, might be a bit. Having trouble figuring out how to get it to change the monitor mirroring output to side by side format, and then having trouble getting it to record at all.

I kinda want to get a little established, too. Which, I've switch over to regular mode for already. Cause yeesh, I cannot use that headset all the time, lol. It looks great, but I have 3 big dogs trying to sleep on my lap and I can't look down, lol.

Oh, and I was wrong about the draw distance. Win10 edition runs at 60(!) Chunk distance, with 8x AA at 60 fps. 30 chunks with the Oculus.

Anyway, go get Google cardboard and I'll keep working this out. I'm sure it's a simple setting somewhere, I just gotta find it. But right now, I'm just playing.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Ugh, might be a bit. Having trouble figuring out how to get it to change the monitor mirroring output to side by side format, and then having trouble getting it to record at all.

I kinda want to get a little established, too. Which, I've switch over to regular mode for already. Cause yeesh, I cannot use that headset all the time, lol. It looks great, but I have 3 big dogs trying to sleep on my lap and I can't look down, lol.

Oh, and I was wrong about the draw distance. Win10 edition runs at 60(!) Chunk distance, with 8x AA at 60 fps. 30 chunks with the Oculus.

Anyway, go get Google cardboard and I'll keep working this out. I'm sure it's a simple setting somewhere, I just gotta find it. But right now, I'm just playing.
wasn't as interested in seeing a VR edition being played with me wearing a headset as hearing/seeing your reaction and possibly finding another channel worth watching, for me.
been playing some more vanilla. so slow going. been while since i had to deal with dropped on death. So many packs carry a tombstone type mod now. Finally found my way to a nether fortess and died to two wither skeletons. had most the supplies i had been looking for on me too.