Problem Useless Config Files

Noromical

Jul 29, 2019
I know very well how to work the config files in the sever folder, however, the ones for this modpack seem to be useless. Despite adjusting several configs such as increasing Nuke explosion to 400 (where TNT is 4), there is no difference in the explosion. I attempted to disable instability for Mystcraft ages, the next age I enter, has all 5 decay blocks in it. I have attempted to alter so many configs yet absolutely NONE of them have worked, are the config files just there for show? I am making sure that the files are saved when I make an edit, I am keeping the format, I have done this before on a tekkit server I ran for some friends (before we heard about FTB). I have also made sure that the server is not running while configs are being changed.

Do I need to change the configs BEFORE the server has its first startup? or is there something I am not doing right that is preventing the configs from updating server-side?

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
If you're running a server, you're gonna have to make sure all of your players also have those same configs, or else they won't work. Config files are useless if not everybody has the same ones.

Noromical

Jul 29, 2019
@Entropy: erm, slight problem there, my friends don't even know what "binary" means... is there any way for my changing of the config to not require them changing the same config?

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
You could change your configs and then upload your config file somewhere for them to download and override their existing configs. That way, everyone's got the same configs and nobody even died. Everyone's happy.

Noromical

Jul 29, 2019
@Entropy: so you're saying that the FTB launcher has no way of doing this automatically?

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
Not at this time, no. Slowpoke has announced that private pack support (which will do exactly what you want) will be available within 2 weeks. However, I personally don't place any faith in what he says, for various reasons. As it stands, either wait for private pack support, which could talk a while, or fix your configs, upload them, and have your friends install them. its probably easier to just do that.

Noromical

Jul 29, 2019
I'll wait, considering my friends know so little about computers, it's a miracle they can find the power button... They are good at video gaming, they just SUCK at even the most basic programming and are bound to screw something up... even if I do upload the config file changes to them

Senmori

Jul 29, 2019
Updating server-side configs don't need to be distributed to players. The only logical reason to distribute configs is if you changed recipes and want everyone to have the same recipes.

That being said; did you restart your server after the configs were changed? About the Mystcraft configs, for some reason it did the same thing to me; I found out that, for whatever reason, you need to disable each of the instabilities individually if instabilities

shakey2

Jul 29, 2019
Also make sure you are editing your server-side configs and not your client-side configs. If you have a hosting company get on your host's file manager to edit the config, if you host it yourself then you need to open the folder that your server jar is in and edit the configs in the config folder there.