Use The .minecraft in Roaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainguyrom

Jul 29, 2019
I'll just start off by saying that I have a pretty crappy computer. Because of this, I get some extreme lag when my game is running off a .minecraft anywhere other than the roaming folder (the default location Vanilla Minecraft places the .minecraft) What I would like is an option to have the FTB launcher launch out of roaming.

I haven't done much work with the launcher, so I don't know how it handles multiple configurations of the mod pack. If the launcher can't exclusively run out of the roaming folder, perhaps you could click a button to have the files transferred in. I have tried placing the .minecraft into the roaming folder, but since the jar is left unmodified, none of the mods launch.

In the mean time, what mods would I need to install in the jar to run the FTB modpack with the vanilla client? just forge, or are there others I don't know about?

Thanks
~Train~

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Put the FTB launcher in the .roaming, and make a shortcut to your desktop.
(right click+drag and hit make shortcut here.)

It runs multiple configurations by placing each .minecraft file in its own folder (FTBBETA, Universal Electricity ect) in the same directory as the launcher. (so move your existing worlds/files to your .Roaming)

Trainguyrom

Jul 29, 2019
Put the FTB launcher in the .roaming, and make a shortcut to your desktop.
(right click+drag and hit make shortcut here.)

It runs multiple configurations by placing each .minecraft file in its own folder (FTBBETA, Universal Electricity ect) in the same directory as the launcher. (so move your existing worlds/files to your .Roaming)

The problem isn't the FTB launcher in the Roaming folder, but the actual .minecraft that needs to be in the Roaming folder so I can (for example) just use the vanilla client (the one you download from Minecraft.net) and avoid a ton of lag from the vanilla client saying "look here" and the FTB client saying "ignore the vanilla client and look here instead."

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
The problem isn't the FTB launcher in the Roaming folder, but the actual .minecraft that needs to be in the Roaming folder so I can (for example) just use the vanilla client (the one you download from Minecraft.net) and avoid a ton of lag from the vanilla client saying "look here" and the FTB client saying "ignore the vanilla client and look here instead."
I'm fairly sure that isn't the problem, when do you get the lag, is it just at startup or do you get low FPS in game if its the latter then its normally because of the mods rather than the location of the game

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

Then open the folder for the FTB pack your using (FTBBETA ect), and rename the minecraft folder to .minecraft

Trainguyrom

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fairly sure that isn't the problem, when do you get the lag, is it just at startup or do you get low FPS in game if its the latter then its normally because of the mods rather than the location of the game

I get the lag constantly, and I have played with the mods in this pack many times before, without this much lag. Also, in the past when I have played Minecraft without the .minecraft in the vanilla location (users/.../roaming/.minecraft) and used a seperat launcher so I could play Minecraft on (for example) a flash drive, or out of a folder in My Documents, I have experianced extreme lag until I placed the .minecraft into Roaming, at which point, lag reduced significantly.

My reasoning has always been that since the vanilla client looks for the .minecraft in the Roaming folder, having another client piggyback off the vanilla one causesit to say "look for your files here" and the custom one saying "ignore the other guy and look here instead" thus everything keeps getting redirected when the game (for example) looks to render the texture of a block. Am I incorrect? If so, how have I been getting lag like I described above (and no, it isn't generating chunks. The same has happened to me on several servers at their spawns)

jjw123

Jul 29, 2019
I get the lag constantly, and I have played with the mods in this pack many times before, without this much lag. Also, in the past when I have played Minecraft without the .minecraft in the vanilla location (users/.../roaming/.minecraft) and used a seperat launcher so I could play Minecraft on (for example) a flash drive, or out of a folder in My Documents, I have experianced extreme lag until I placed the .minecraft into Roaming, at which point, lag reduced significantly.

My reasoning has always been that since the vanilla client looks for the .minecraft in the Roaming folder, having another client piggyback off the vanilla one causesit to say "look for your files here" and the custom one saying "ignore the other guy and look here instead" thus everything keeps getting redirected when the game (for example) looks to render the texture of a block. Am I incorrect? If so, how have I been getting lag like I described above (and no, it isn't generating chunks. The same has happened to me on several servers at their spawns)

can you test magicworld? and also test VoxelModPack, we think we may have isolated your issue

magnifikus

Jul 29, 2019

i dont think its the issue here because 2 things:
1. the redirect is done via enviorment variable or by using reflection to rewrite a variable in minecraft itself, so no redirects or something
2. is this directory stored on your harddrive like others, this may an issue if you put the folder on a slow medium like a flashdrive, but if this the case please try to move the folder to a harddrive/ssd

and if it would be the case that appdata is cached and much fast, why would games not store their data here?
the only reason for minecraft storing data here normally is that you dont any permission to start it and shipping around access right permission/easy storage.
But in my opinion, storing things in the roaming directory is bad because in certain setups this directory is stored on network and makes it nonportable.

Trainguyrom

Jul 29, 2019
can you test magicworld? and also test VoxelModPack, we think we may have isolated your issue
I've just tried the two packs you specified, and I still experienced a large amount of lag. I'm going to try the main FTB mod pack with the updated client to see if I get any improvement. If I don't, I'll try it in the Roaming folder to see how much lag I get (after installing forge.) as a diagnostic.

Edit: Update: I just tested it out, and I found that I got lots of lag in the FTB client, and less lag in the vanilla client, but not too much less. The only mods in this pack that I haven't played with are Twilight Forest, Factorization, and Greg's Tech, so I don't know if any of those are major contributors to lag.

Correction: On a server I used to play on we had Twilight Forest installed, but I got some extreme lag no matter what. I always figured the problem was Millenaire, since that mod is incredibly large in files, but it's possible that the problem was really Twilight Forest. I'm definitely going to look into that.

floorboard

Jul 29, 2019
I get some pretty serious lag too, but I have a really nice computer with 12gb of ram. Does anybody know how I can devote more ram to ftb?

Dankosmix

Jul 29, 2019
I get some pretty serious lag too, but I have a really nice computer with 12gb of ram. Does anybody know how I can devote more ram to ftb?
yeah just rise it in the option in the launcher.

p.s. have 8gb and have tried all from 1 to 6 and finds 2gb to be the moste stable dedication of ram to ftb.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a 64 bit OS and 64 bit java, you can allocate as much RAM as you want via the launchers option tab

StarLiner

Jul 29, 2019
When I used the Tekkit launcher, i also had massive amounts of lag that I fixed by integrating it with .minecraft. Same problem and solution with FTB.

I'm posting here because the latest version of Forge seems to have broken this solution and I can't use the packs without getting an abysmal FPS on my high end gaming laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.