Upgrading packs and mods

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

aram

Jul 29, 2019
I searched the forums and google, but can't seem to find any information on how upgrading works exactly. I was wondering if someone can help explain the process to me?

Current pack: Direwolf20 v1.5 for Minecraft 1.7.10 (http://www.feed-the-beast.com/modpacks/direwolf20_17)

I noticed that there is a version 1.6.1 for Direwolf20 available. I was wondering if there was a procedure for upgrading the server to the newer version without getting rid of the current world?

Secondly, if a mod has an upgrade (for example factorization or whatever) what's the process for upgrading? Do I just remove the .jar file in mods and replace with the new one? Would the clients then have to upgrade as well? (I think factorization uses Forge, so would I have to go through forge to get that done and/or questions answered?)

Thanks in advance for any help. The whole upgrade concept is confuzzling.

mc.crab

Feb 2, 2013
Before you start updating a pack, make a backup.
What I usually do is dowload and unzip the the new version.
Then remove mods, config and scripts folders from the server.
Copy the new mods, config and scripts folders to the server folder.

To update a single mod you delete the old and add the new one, clients need to do the same. To update a mod you have to make sure that the server has the same on newer version of Forge than the mod requires.

aram

Jul 29, 2019
And that keeps the worlds in tact? Have you ever run into any issues from doing the updates in that way?

mc.crab

Feb 2, 2013
I don't rememeber running into any issues while updating a server. Like I said, make a backup so you can go back if something goes wrong.

aram

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome! Cool =) Thanks a million for the help =D I did a pack upgrade and it all worked easy peasy.