Upgrading computer

stentninja

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all I made a jackfrags computer set up (medium budget) I was wandering would adding more ram (I have 8gb) getting better traffic card or processed would help more for minecraft
the link to the video I based off

Witch part offers up the best upgrade to my pc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
You have two choices. You can do a CPU and motherboard upgrade such as this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($175.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $242.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-16 10:17 EDT-0400

Which would immediately net you a sizeable amount more FPS.

Or you can get one of these: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7

And overclock your CPU by 0.5-1.0ghz.

I would recommend against the second since your PSU most likely couldn't handle it(Piledriver CPUs like the one you have are powerhogs when overclocked.), and your performance would still not be as good as if you just got an i5.

GPU doesn't need an upgrade. Minecraft doesn't care a whole lot about GPU.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
It shouuuuuuld but (don't get me started)

Honestly? It shouldn't be heavy on either GPU OR CPU. The code is just crappy. For example, in one of the recent snapshots, they fixed an issue with text where lots of text would cause massive FPS drops(an issue since before 1.2.5!) Their sound engine is terrible and needs a rewrite. Their render and world/chunk gen code is getting better, but is still mediocre. Entity AI is terrible and laggy. And who knows how much junk is in their code in other spots.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Honestly? It shouldn't be heavy on either GPU OR CPU. The code is just crappy. For example, in one of the recent snapshots, they fixed an issue with text where lots of text would cause massive FPS drops(an issue since before 1.2.5!) Their sound engine is terrible and needs a rewrite. Their render and world/chunk gen code is getting better, but is still mediocre. Entity AI is terrible and laggy. And who knows how much junk is in their code in other spots.
Any time you can split work between multiple resources its a benefit. The sketchy code is a known problem. I just take issue with ignoring available resources.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Any time you can split work between multiple resources its a benefit. The sketchy code is a known problem. I just take issue with ignoring available resources.
Hmm. I should do some testing with the latest snapshots to find CPU and GPU usage.

I agree with you, but I wonder if them using an old version of OpenGL could be the cause of the issues. Since then, there's been a lot of improvements in it and features added that allow for better utilization of the GPU. And upgrading to a new version would cause incompatibility with all Nvidia cards under the 400 series, AMD cards under HD 5000, and Intel iGPUs under Ivy Bridge(i3-3xxx, i5-xxxx, i7-3xxx). So their hands may be tied.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hmm. I should do some testing with the latest snapshots to find CPU and GPU usage.

I agree with you, but I wonder if them using an old version of OpenGL could be the cause of the issues. Since then, there's been a lot of improvements in it and features added that allow for better utilization of the GPU. And upgrading to a new version would cause incompatibility with all Nvidia cards under the 400 series, AMD cards under HD 5000, and Intel iGPUs under Ivy Bridge(i3-3xxx, i5-xxxx, i7-3xxx). So their hands may be tied.
One thing I see more of is developers leveraging just the memory and computing resources of the GPU rather than asking it to perform actual graphical work. Its like having a mini CPU to handle tasks. Then we start worrying about multithreading and stuff though.

I'm really liking that performance is getting attention from the MC team this iteration. I can sorta see why they've ignored it: performance improvements don't pay the bills. But its awesome for modded MC players.

stentninja

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to but I'll be looking for the parts as well up to you thanks

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all I made a jackfrags computer set up (medium budget) I was wandering would adding more ram (I have 8gb) getting better traffic card or processed would help more for minecraft
the link to the video I based off

Witch part offers up the best upgrade to my pc?

Personally, I couldn't justify spending much for a marginal upgrade. tbh we're in a weird spot with PC hardware. There's hardly any difference between a new cpu and one that is 4 years old currently, unless you're dropping $300+ on the cpu alone. If you have money lying around, I would save it and upgrade this box when intel's Kaby Lake comes out next year.

The only upgrade I'd even consider now, if I was in your shoes, would be an SSD for your OS + minecraft (if that's what you play most).

stentninja

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I couldn't justify spending much for a marginal upgrade. tbh we're in a weird spot with PC hardware. There's hardly any difference between a new cpu and one that is 4 years old currently, unless you're dropping $300+ on the cpu alone. If you have money lying around, I would save it and upgrade this box when intel's Kaby Lake comes out next year.

The only upgrade I'd even consider now, if I was in your shoes, would be an SSD for your OS + minecraft (if that's what you play most).

Well I want something to improve my experience in single player AG2 at the moment I'm getting on average 15fps going up to 40fps for a second then down to 5fps for 5-10 seconds

As I've agreed with another Aussie ftb-er Australia has crap internet so single player is my only option.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Well I want something to improve my experience in single player AG2 at the moment I'm getting on average 15fps going up to 40fps for a second then down to 5fps for 5-10 seconds

As I've agreed with another Aussie ftb-er Australia has crap internet so single player is my only option.

It's likely something in your settings then, you should see better performance than that. I see 20-25 fps on resonant rise before installing optifine, and my hardware is 8 years old. I'm not familiar with your pack, but my RR instance has 205 mods running, so...

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Ah ok, so you're getting such low (unstable, rather) fps on a skyblock map... yeah I'm gonna go with configuration issues on this one.

No need to throw money at the problem imo, your current PC is more than adequate.

stentninja

Jul 29, 2019
I am playing infinity too and well it does get bad would installing opti-fine help?

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I am playing infinity too and well it does get bad would installing opti-fine help?

It might be more than just optifine, the way you're describing your fps as "40 fps, then drops to 15 for no apparent reason" makes me think this. Possibly java related, or allocated memory? I'm not 100% sure what to tell you as far as optimal settings, I've been away from minecraft for about 9 months.

You can still try installing it, it can make a difference. The ultra version has a few options for SSP and multi-core cpu's. That said, there are a few graphical glitches that can happen with optifine. Also try limiting your render distance down a couple chunks.

I saw a nice increase in performance running my OS and minecraft on an SSD as well.