Upgrade dw20 to infinity?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

dronf

Jul 29, 2019
Since the dw20 pack seems to be abandoned(and stuck with buggy versions), and the infinity pack contains pretty much the same modlist plus a few new ones....has anyone tried copying their world folder from a dw20 instance to an infinity install?

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Well I dunno. It should work but 1.7 does weird things with block id's when you remove mods so it might come out all scrambled. Why dont you try it and report back?

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019
It's a real shame what's happened to the DW20 pack this time round, or rather what's not happened.
You should be ok with transfering your world over though, just make a copy of your world before you try it, then no harm done.

dronf

Jul 29, 2019
Will definitely give it a try today after work. I had this idea while walking out the door and was wondering if anyone had done it yet :D

I'll report back this evening.

dronf

Jul 29, 2019
Well....it worked, but it showed me that I didn't read the mod list as closely as I thought. The list of items that are in dw20 that are NOT in infinity can be found at http://pastebin.com/X5khqET7
Anything from that list will be deleted from your world. The biggest kicker for me was the loss of powersuits. Yeah, it's totally OP by any standard, but it's pretty fun :D Losing thaumic exploration was also a pretty big bummer.

Not having every square foot of dirt covered in pneumaticraft plants is kind of cool though.

So yes, it transitioning from one to the other works fine, you just have to be prepared to lose a lot of items if you use certain mods like powersuits, factorization, thaumic exploration, and pneumaticraft.

I still might consider doing it, since it adds some good stuff too, and will likely be updated again sometime in the future. You also have the option to add the mods back, but that takes away the ease of use for clients joining your server.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Well I dunno. It should work but 1.7 does weird things with block id's when you remove mods so it might come out all scrambled. Why dont you try it and report back?

I've seen a few people say this and was confused. I thought the big change with 1.7 was that id's now used names so there were no longer id conflicts. If the ids are mod name/item name now, how do they get messed up between worlds? Just curious.

dronf

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen a few people say this and was confused. I thought the big change with 1.7 was that id's now used names so there were no longer id conflicts. If the ids are mod name/item name now, how do they get messed up between worlds? Just curious.

Nothing was scrambled in my game, it just deleted all the items from mods that weren't in the new pack.

Reactions: epidemia78

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing was scrambled in my game, it just deleted all the items from mods that weren't in the new pack.
That's what I would expect to happen, but I have seen a few people in various threads mention things getting jumbled. Was just curious.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Its only block/items IDs that are gone- things like potion effects/biomes/dimensions ect still use them.
FTB does use a standardised config across the modpack- so its unlikely they'll be an issue.

The other potential issue is terrain generation/stitching- you may find some very ugly formations when you transition over.
(MCEdit could manually fix this on a world by world basis)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
There are still block ids. You can see them in NEI. Its just that they get chosen for you when you first load the world. And if you remove mods, suddenly a bunch of ids are shifted to being something else. Usually it doesnt cause issues but I minetweaked the recipes for Thermal Expansion machines and when the id-shifting happens, strange things show up in the machine's upgrade slots. In my current world its pipe sealant, previous world it was 64k me storage drives. I have got to stop removing mods lol. Anyway I am sure theres similar issues with other mods that I havent noticed.

Gilgamesh Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks guys for the idea, i wouldnt have even tought to test this before I found this thread.

Made a crossbreed of DW20/Infinity packs

I took next steps on my server/client:
Downloaded Infinity with launcher, checked which mods from DW20 pack are not on infinity pack.
Downloaded most recent versions of the missing mods (couple of other mods too that i had previously added to DW20 pack), added them to Infinity pack and copied my old world over.

It works like a charm. Only thing that i couldnt transfer over was my under dark dimension. It generated a new one but I think that might have something to do with me changing my minecraft name :)