Updating forge in unstable pack

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Now that the last guy is being ignored. Will someone please help me with my issue? I have tried everything and nothing works. All I need is one tiny little answer and it's all done.
The answers were in the older part of this thread and have been repeated. Its better to use multimc or the vanilla launcher to update Forge. Especially since fooling about with the launcher is mostly uncharted territory and the aforementioned options are so much simpler.

Besides, there's no support for the Unstable pack anyway. So if the official word is that you're not going to get help from ftb, there's no real reason the stick with the launcher if you're wanting to do things in 1.7.

Last edited:

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
How about getting a response from someone who actually wants to help instead of being a smart alec. If you don't want to help then DON"T COMMENT!
He is not being a "smart alec"
All he was doing was explaining the behavior on the forums and the internet, saying that we always do that and it is impossible to change it without the collective agreeing. Redboss gave the answer, which was already earlier in the thread, no need to be rude to someone explaining something to you.

ReaperGuy666

Jul 29, 2019
if you have multi MC installed you can just create a new instance install forge version you require(multiMC can install any version you need from the edit mods menu) then just copy the mods and config folders over
Now there's an answer I can live with. Thank you for being so helpful. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1403984857][/DOUBLEPOST]
He is not being a "smart alec"
All he was doing was explaining the behavior on the forums and the internet, saying that we always do that and it is impossible to change it without the collective agreeing. Redboss gave the answer, which was already earlier in the thread, no need to be rude to someone explaining something to you.
I under stand that and I was not being rude. I do not have time to read hundreds of posts in hopes of finding that one answer I'm looking for. All he had to do was answer my question and it would have been done. It took longer for him to talk about internet behaviors than to just explain it. That is why I said what I said.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Yay I got ignored! That means that I did something right and @ReaperGuy666 doesn't like being wrong!
cheers! also, @ReaperGuy666 , i don't really think those kinds of posts are constructive. really, "blah blah blah" and "smart alec"? there are more constructive and polite ways to ask for help.[DOUBLEPOST=1404061759][/DOUBLEPOST]whoops, almost forgot. (imo)

jmarler

Jul 29, 2019
So ... its actually not impossible, but it is a little bit of a PITA. Here is how you do it.

First, install the version of Forge that you want to use into your vanilla launcher and make sure it works using the vanilla launcher. I installed Forge 10.13.0.1208 to test these instructions.

There are two parts updating the modpack to use a new forge: Updating the modpack's JSON file and adding the library files.

First step is that we need the new library information for the version of forge you have installed. Find your minecraft/versions directory. On my Mac, it was in ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/versions but on a windows PC it will be somewhere else. Once you find this directory, look for the new forge version that has been created. On my system, it was 1.7.10-Forge10.13.0.1208 . Inside this folder, you will find a file that ends with .json. Open it in your favorite text editor and look for a section like this:

Code:
        {
            "name": "net.minecraftforge:forge:1.7.10-10.13.0.1208",
            "url": "http://files.minecraftforge.net/maven/"
        },

Copy that section into your copy buffer and move on to the step of updating the modpack JSON file.

To update the JSON file, find where you have FTB installed. On my mac, I have it in ~/Minecraft/FTB but you probably have it somewhere else. Look for a directory called ftb_17testpack and that is your "Unstable" modpack directory.

In that directory, look for a file called pack.json and open it in your favorite text editor. Look for this section:

Code:
    {
      "name": "net.minecraftforge:forge:1.7.10-10.13.0.1199:universal",
      "url": "http://ftb.cursecdn.com/FTB2/maven/",
      "checksums" : [ "346775fce838d4a139362d3b0135fd2aebba288d"]
    },

Replace that section with the code you copied from the minecraft folder:

Code:
        {
            "name": "net.minecraftforge:forge:1.7.10-10.13.0.1208",
            "url": "http://files.minecraftforge.net/maven/"
        },

Don't worry if it doesn't match exactly as you may be using a different version of forge. Save this file and move on to the next step.

Next, you need to copy over the necessary library files. Find your minecraft libraries folder. On my Mac, it was in ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries. Once in the libraries folder, navigate to net/minecraftforge/forge. In this directory, you will find all of the copies of forge you have installed. Keep this window open because you will need it in the next step.

Find the FTB libraries folder. On my Mac, this was in ~/Minecraft/FTB/libraries. Navigate to net/minecraftforge/forge. Copy any folders that are in the other window you left open in the step above (on my Mac, ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/net/minecraft/forge) to the folder in FTB. The goal is to make the folders look the same. If files already exist, there is no need to overwrite them.

Once you have modified the JSON file and copied over the libraries properly, you should be up and running with the latest forge!

Proof of life:

Code:
[02:13:28] [main/INFO] [LaunchWrapper]: Loading tweak class name cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker
[02:13:28] [main/INFO] [LaunchWrapper]: Using primary tweak class name cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker
[02:13:28] [main/INFO] [LaunchWrapper]: Calling tweak class cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker
[02:13:28] [main/INFO] [FML]: Forge Mod Loader version 7.10.25.1208 for Minecraft 1.7.10 loading
[02:13:28] [main/INFO] [FML]: Java is Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM, version 1.7.0_55, running on Mac OS X:x86_64:10.9.4, installed at /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_55.jdk/Contents/Home/jre

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Awww can I be blocked too, I'm sure I'm not blocked by anyone yet... wait.. @Gideonseymour doesn't ever reply to my stuff...

Like others have said, and I'm guilty of it too, if you are going to be rude, and not understand the answers you are given, expect to be teased.

And damn @jmarler damn fine work there...

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
The problem is that FTB went to a lot of trouble to collect versions of all the mods that actually work with that version of Forge. Changing things may break things. I spent an entire day trying to trouble-shoot my own pack on MMC before giving up & altering the Unstable pack (I removed half the mods & added a bunch of others). When I was done, tinker's steelworks was crashing & Big Reactors wants a newer version of forge, so I have to wait on those 2 mods until the DW20 pack for 1.7.10 is released.

Reactions: Cptqrk

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
The problem is that FTB went to a lot of trouble to collect versions of all the mods that actually work with that version of Forge. Changing things may break things. I spent an entire day trying to trouble-shoot my own pack on MMC before giving up & altering the Unstable pack (I removed half the mods & added a bunch of others). When I was done, tinker's steelworks was crashing & Big Reactors wants a newer version of forge, so I have to wait on those 2 mods until the DW20 pack for 1.7.10 is released.

This, so much this. This is why most of the early replies were, don't.. or if you have to, do it without the FTB launcher. It's gonna be messed up LOL

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
So ... its actually not impossible, but it is a little bit of a PITA. Here is how you do it.

I updated several of the mods in my Unstable pack this morning, & at least 1 of them wanted a newer version of forge. Instead of wading through the log file & rolling back, I chose to do this. Now I have the added benefit of being able to install Big Reactors as we'll.

Thank you for going to the trouble of finding a clear & complete answer to this question.