Up to 9000

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
1690 there are some other changes that need to be done as well but except for links it seems to work.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
1691 You probably want to keep escaping angle brackets, whether your editor is using HTML or BBCode, because cross-site scripting (aka typing in <script> tags with valid Javascript and have it be executed on another page) is a thing that exists and can cause problems.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
1692 that is what codeigniters security class is for, however I had not yet used it because tinyMCE doesn't play well with it. However now I can run it and then turn the BBCode into html and be done with it.

I am more competent then I look, I promise :p

I will also work on preventing request forgery "soon". I already have the function I need for it (Hooray for using code from school projects) but I need to implement that on the older requests thus that might take a while.

Be happy I don't send an email containing your password and yes, there are still sites that do that for some retarded reason >_>

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
1693 You certainly know a lot more about web development than I do... I just know of a few security vulnerabilities and how they can be prevented, and if I wasn't totally and completely lost in your directory structure, I'd check the code myself and not bother you with it if I didn't see any issues. But lost I am, so about all I can do (other than aimlessly poke around Github and find nothing of relevance) is ask "Are you doing this thing?"

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
1694 I have seen password emails, and am actually on a site that does because requirement for grabbing a file. So, just make sure it's a unique username and password and you'll be safe.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
if I wasn't totally and completely lost in your directory structure, I'd check the code myself and not bother you with it if I didn't see any issues
The structure is easy though, everything I make that is relevant is in the folder application (the other folders are CI specific stuff)
The folder views contain the pages that are going to be rendered. These are sorted by type. (thus I have a users folder containing a form to make a new user)
The folder config contains config stuff. An very importand file here is the routes.php file explanation comes in a bit.
The folder models contain the model files, a model referring to classes that hold functions to manipulate the database. Thus the file Users_model.php contains a class called Users_model which contain a lot of functions that manipulate the users table in the database. For example, making a new user.

The folder controllers splits itself up into 2 other folders, one containing controller files that will have views that need to be rendered (called browser) and the other that will instead just do an echo json_encode() (called json)
Controllers are classes that tell a specific model what it needs to do. Thus for example it can load in the Users_model and tell it to create a new user using soe data. (this data probably comes from a form)

The core folder contains classes that both the models and controllers need to extend. This is a place where I can write functions that all my controllers or models need. The function loadAll() is a nice example. This simply renders the header,the left side bar then the view I want the right side bar and last but not least the footer. (Or in other words, top, left, content, right and bottom).

Then there is also the routes.php file in the config folder and this file tells the application what controller to load and which of its functions needs to be executed using a pretty big array. Thus for example it says that the route {base_route}/register needs to execute the register function in the Users controller.

This may help explaining how MVC (which is how I work) fits together http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/php/article.php/3912211

Also, the reason I split the controllers like I did is because of how I like to work. I first send basically only a template to the browser and some javascript. This javascript then makes an request to the server to get all the data of the page it is on and fills the template in. This way I basically make an usable json api while I develop the website which is always nice. Everything you can currently do with the site can be done without needing to parse html except for making a character as I didn't have time to figure out how file uploading using ajax works. :( Fixing that is defiantly on my todo list though.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
The structure is easy though, everything I make that is relevant is in the folder application (the other folders are CI specific stuff)
The folder views contain the pages that are going to be rendered. These are sorted by type. (thus I have a users folder containing a form to make a new user)
The folder config contains config stuff. An very importand file here is the routes.php file explanation comes in a bit.
The folder models contain the model files, a model referring to classes that hold functions to manipulate the database. Thus the file Users_model.php contains a class called Users_model which contain a lot of functions that manipulate the users table in the database. For example, making a new user.

The folder controllers splits itself up into 2 other folders, one containing controller files that will have views that need to be rendered (called browser) and the other that will instead just do an echo json_encode() (called json)
Controllers are classes that tell a specific model what it needs to do. Thus for example it can load in the Users_model and tell it to create a new user using soe data. (this data probably comes from a form)

The core folder contains classes that both the models and controllers need to extend. This is a place where I can write functions that all my controllers or models need. The function loadAll() is a nice example. This simply renders the header,the left side bar then the view I want the right side bar and last but not least the footer. (Or in other words, top, left, content, right and bottom).

Then there is also the routes.php file in the config folder and this file tells the application what controller to load and which of its functions needs to be executed using a pretty big array. Thus for example it says that the route {base_route}/register needs to execute the register function in the Users controller.

This may help explaining how MVC (which is how I work) fits together http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/php/article.php/3912211

Also, the reason I split the controllers like I did is because of how I like to work. I first send basically only a template to the browser and some javascript. This javascript then makes an request to the server to get all the data of the page it is on and fills the template in. This way I basically make an usable json api while I develop the website which is always nice. Everything you can currently do with the site can be done without needing to parse html except for making a character as I didn't have time to figure out how file uploading using ajax works. :( Fixing that is defiantly on my todo list though.
I'm sure that it would all make perfect sense if I had any experience at all with web development at all... but I don't, and I'm not particularly interested in learning it at the moment, so meh.